Severe water leak @ antenna base 310 gk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe water leak @ antenna base 310 gk

Woke up this morning to water flooding interior stairs. Water was coming from interior ceiling light. I removed ceiling light to find water pouring out of what appears to be bottom side of antenna. Has anyone had this issue ?
    Tomorrow I will get on the roof to see if I can determine what the problem is.
    Barry & Karen
    2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 4wd, 6.7 Cummins, Edge Insight CTS2 Monitor, Air Bags, 70 gal aux tank, TST tire monitor
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R

Barry,

That's the first time I've heard of this specific problem. Please share what you find so we can add it to our collective knowledge.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Mopar Man View Post
      Woke up this morning to water flooding interior stairs. Water was coming from interior ceiling light. I removed ceiling light to find water pouring out of what appears to be bottom side of antenna. Has anyone had this issue ?
      Ugh...that's not good. Undoubtedly there's soaked insulation in the ceiling, too. You'll need to get that removed and the area dried thoroughly to avoid mold issues.

Below is from GD's website. In the graphic is shows the 310GK's ceiling and roof construction. All that "pink" is insulation. If there's wet insulation in your ceiling (and I'm sure there is) I think it must be removed and replaced. At minimum it must be thoroughly dried.

Sorry...but at minimum I urge you to check with your dealer or GD Customer Service to confirm what I wrote above.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	74658
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard is right about drying or replacing the insulation that is wet.

A solution is to use Eternabond tape on the roofing over all of the sealant. I had major leaks on my last gas RV. With my DP and our 310GK-R I eternabonded the entire roof. So far, that has been a good solution. It was about 80' of 4" tape for our 310GK-R, with three levels on both end caps. The roof was my first priority for our RV. The antenna is covered with many short strips of tape to ensure a good seal.

Good luck with your drying process.

Crespro
        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Mopar Man So I went into the camper today just to check out things (rain last night and high winds for a few days) to find a puddle on the floor. Pull light down (take ice cold water all down arm and down body) to find that the LED is FULL of water. Reach up into hole and luckily insulation is dry. Climb on roof and there is a football sized hole in the front of the antenna housing. Nothing else on roof has any signs damage and the housing looks like it was smashed by something. Temp repair with lots of duct tape and ziplock bag.

Hav you inspected the antenna for cracks???

Anyone have any suggestions for a better antenna that the 360AIR plus? Can just the exterior housing be ordered?
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Joseph

I am not sure if the "standard" 360 housing will work with the plus or not. You may be able to buy the standard and install all of the Air bits to it.

Surely bad news to find this broken and water entering the coach.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Brian, if i cannot get just the dome, may see about holding out and getting the https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-d...s/air-360-plus V2 since it has the FM antenna adapter (don't know if GD hooked up the radio to the antenna or not).
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Mopar Man View Post
                Mopar Man Any news? Was there damage or just poor sealing?

Jlawles2 That sux. Hope you can get a replacement part.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Country Campers Brian, if i cannot get just the dome, may see about holding out and getting the https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-d...s/air-360-plus V2 since it has the FM antenna adapter (don't know if GD hooked up the radio to the antenna or not).
                  Hi Joseph.

There is some good discussion on the installation of a Winegard dome, its connections and what I observed vs a directional antenna at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ion-in-315rlts . Grand Design typically takes the FM signal from the TV antenna. There is no separate coax run from the FM receiver to the antenna location . . . so this limits the choices on the Winegard antennas.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Well got the sorry gram from Winegard. They do not sell just the dome. Quite stupid to not sell the plastic piece that is most likely to get damaged. Guess I'll be out $150 to get a complete new system and install it.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Okay everyone, I was able to get to the Antenna dome and after a thorough inspection, I believe the problem is at lousy sealing job. I have purchased a can of white flex-seal and will attempt to reseal around the Dome. I don't believe there is a problem with the insulation, being that the ceiling light gave the water a place to go. Will recheck in a few days. Finger's crossed !
                      ​​​
                      Barry & Karen
                      2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 4wd, 6.7 Cummins, Edge Insight CTS2 Monitor, Air Bags, 70 gal aux tank, TST tire monitor
                      2022 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Mopar Man Barry, just so happens the antenna wire on my antenna just so happened to have a loop that dropped the water straight into the light.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

We had the same issue with our 2021 Solitude 310 GKR the dealership resealed the the Winegard 360 no more issues. Been reported a few different times on other places.
                          Last edited by Country Campers; 01-23-2022, 07:29 PM. Reason: Rule # 15

Comment

UPDATE: I completely replaced the 360+ with the 360+ V2.

Notes:
                            1 - Self leveling roof sealer removes easier if it's warm. I used my heat gun and diffuser to roll up the sealant.
                            2 - Winegard supplies what appears to be stainless 5/16" headed screws for attaching the antenna. WHY OH WHY did GD use Drywall screws with tapered heads vs the flat bottom? Even the pan head camper screws (non self tapping) that they used all over the place would be better than the drywall screws
                            3 - the antenna wire end was not fully seated to the wire. Pushed it up on farther so that it made better contact.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                            X