No announcement yet.

How do you know you have a water leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know you have a water leak?

Moderator note: The post below was originally in https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...eaning-product It was moved here to it's own thread as suggested by StephenO . -Howard

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Absolutely, positively, 100% (am I being emphatic enough?) it is critical to do a regular, thorough inspection. Water penetration can and will "kill" your RV and/or cause wall decontamination.
    Absolutely water penetration will be the end of your RV. I watched my father in law take apart the entire rear wall on his old aluminum Wood framed trailer, no thanks. ​​​​​Ever since, I am so paranoid about water leaks, especially the ones you cannot see.

It's obvious you have a leak when water is dripping from the ceiling, but how does one know if there is a 'hidden leak'? Anyone have tips on checking for hidden leaks? If this is more suitable for a new thread, mods feel free to move.
    Last edited by howson; 04-17-2022, 03:17 PM.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Absolutely water penetration will be the end of your RV. I watched my father in law take apart the entire rear wall on his old aluminum Wood framed trailer, no thanks. ​​​​​Ever since, I am so paranoid about water leaks, especially the ones you cannot see.

It's obvious you have a leak when water is dripping from the ceiling, but how does one know if there is a 'hidden leak'? Anyone have tips on checking for hidden leaks? If this is more suitable for a new thread, mods feel free to move.
    On way is if you on the pump is you will hear the pump cycle randomly. For city water it is tougher. I have installed several battery powerd leak detectors. One behind the nautilus panel and one around the water pump. I used something similar to this. https://www.honeywellstore.com/store...able-rwd42.htm
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

On way is if you on the pump is you will hear the pump cycle randomly. For city water it is tougher. I have installed several battery powerd leak detectors. One behind the nautilus panel and one around the water pump. I used something similar to this. https://www.honeywellstore.com/store...able-rwd42.htm
      +1 on the leak detectors. I have a couple strategically placed. I also use the pump procedure occasionally.
      Mike and (RIP Karen)
      2021 2600RB
      2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

For water system leaks, yes, water pump running more than normal is a telltale. For water system leaks when the pump is turned off I use a moisture sensor/alarm located in the hw heater compartment and next to the water pump similar to KERUI Wireless Water Leak Detector for Alert Household Water Leakage Alarm with 90db Loud Alarm Water Leak Detector Sensor for Home Kitchen, Toilet Floor,Battery Powered (5) I believe these are also available with phone app... not 100%, though. (I use the battery alarm devices in my stix 'n brix basement)

For leaks from the exterior I have thought purchasing a pinless moisture probe similar to KLEIN TOOLS Pinless Moisture Meter I'd be interested in anyone's experience in an RV application.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I know that the Grand Design Factory Service Center uses a moisture meter to assess the condition of composite walls. I will inquire as to which meter they use and what numbers they consider to be acceptable.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 thanks to Hurricane Harvey and the unplanned remodeling.

Signs of water leaks are hard to explain. There are tell tale signs. Weeping walls, wet carpet, unexpected puddles, general humidity in the unit.

Previous non GD had a factory bad seal job on the front cap. I looked for months to try and explain wet carpet next to the wardrobe slide. Every time it rained the carpet would be wet, water in the basement, etc. One day while cleaning the pine needles off the slide to close up, I was doing the general observation and saw what looked like a crack in the self leveling sealant. Nothing significant. One tube later, no more wet carpet. I may be paranoid, but even with the unit in the driveway, after a light or hard rain, I still go inside, extend slides if retracted, and feel carpet an other areas like walls around windows the whole time praying for no water. This is how I found the broke TV dome. I pulled the unit from home to inspection station, no overhead anything even trees, and returned. Several weeks later blowing rain storm and there was water on the floor. Looked up and it was in the overhead light. Started pulling things and could feel the water following the cables down the antenna wires. Up on the roof at night with a light in the rain to find the front of the dome shattered.

Long story short, inspect, suspect, and continue to do your due diligence.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Cate&Rob Tagging Rob on our resident plumbing SME and advocate for pressure gauges in our water systems. Thoughts?

I have never done this myself, but one could theoretically do a pressure test on the (empty) system using air??? Hook up a pressure gauge with a valve (something like below) to the city water connection (would need a short double male end hose), air it up to say 60 psi and leave it for a couple of hours. Should be no pressure drop. I have seen this done on residential systems, but not sure it would apply to an RV system.

https://www.amazon.ca/Winters-AOM-20...%2C102&sr=8-31
              Ken & Sandra
              2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post
                Cate&Rob Tagging Rob on our resident plumbing SME and advocate for pressure gauges in our water systems. Thoughts?

I have never done this myself, but one could theoretically do a pressure test on the (empty) system using air??? Hook up a pressure gauge with a valve (something like below) to the city water connection (would need a short double male end hose), air it up to say 60 psi and leave it for a couple of hours. Should be no pressure drop. I have seen this done on residential systems, but not sure it would apply to an RV system.

https://www.amazon.ca/Winters-AOM-20...%2C102&sr=8-31
                You're exactly right, and I believe this is how they test at the factory on the assembly line.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

KSC_Travels
                  Hi Ken,

You can certainly do a pressure test with either air or water. With air, there will be more expansion/contraction with temperature, so a small (drip type) leak might be more difficult to measure. On the other hand . . . if you have a leak, there is no mess or other potential damage from a test with air, as there would be with water.

One caution . . . 60 psi air is far more "explosive" than 60 psi water. If something breaks, the outrush of a gas (air) is many times greater than the outrush of a liquid (water).

As ncitro Neil has noted, they test the water system with air during assembly in the factory and then again with water at final inspection.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The system test procedure requires the use of this test plug to hold the city water check valve open if the pressure gage is on the city water side of the inlet check valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220418-080842_Chrome.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	82398
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

While my original question was focused around knowing if there was an exterior leak, say from the roof, window, etc, somewhere hidden there is some good info here around a plumbing leak. Maybe we need to spinoff this thread too .

Like Jlawles2 said though there are some signs that you have an issue, but the worse type of exterior leak (or plumbing leak for that matter) would be one that goes unnoticed until it's too late.

I do like the idea of a pinless moisture meter, and look forward to seeing what Cate&Rob finds out from the factory on their methods. I currently have a Princess Auto special meter, but it has larger probing pins, and I don't think my wife would appreciate holes everywhere in the trailer . Also that meter is a simple continuity style, where the more moisture content it finds, the louder the tone. It doesn't give a numerical value or anything.​​​​​​​
                      Last edited by StephenO; 04-18-2022, 10:03 AM.
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Inspect, inspect, inspect.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                          Inspect, inspect, inspect.
                          and when in doubt, have a friend inspect.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            I know that the Grand Design Factory Service Center uses a moisture meter to assess the condition of composite walls. I will inquire as to which meter they use and what numbers they consider to be acceptable.

Rob
                            Followup on this earlier question about moisture in the walls . . .

From Clay Smith (Foreman at the Grand Design Factory Service Center) they use the pinless moisture meter shown in the attached picture. A reading above 35% indicates to them that there is moisture in the wall that should not be there and needs to be resolved.

There is also some good (but rather wandering) "moisture meter" discussion in this thread. ​​​​​​https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...industry/page2

Rob

Name:	E64B5654-E7D9-4E91-8DDD-25BCBA30E8CF.jpeg
Views:	755
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	82746
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Followup on this earlier question about moisture in the walls . . .

From Clay Smith (Foreman at the Grand Design Factory Service Center) they use the pinless moisture meter shown in the attached picture. A reading above 35% indicates to them that there is moisture in the wall that should not be there and needs to be resolved.

There is also some good (but rather wandering) "moisture meter" discussion in this thread. ​​​​​​https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...industry/page2

Rob

Name:	E64B5654-E7D9-4E91-8DDD-25BCBA30E8CF.jpeg
Views:	755
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	82746
                              Thanks, Rob. I appreciate the follow-up. Me thinks something similar is a good add to the toolbox.

Mike
                              Mike & Sonya
                              2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                              Blue Ox SwayPro
                              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Working...
                              X