Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solera Awning Over-Rotate

Good evening everyone,

Yesterday I noticed that the Solera awning on my new Imagine will continue to rotate after fully extending and roll itself back in. After searching the forums I found that this is normal for Solera awnings.

Our previous trailer was a Winnebago Micro Minnie which used a domestic awning. This awning stopped when it reached a fully extended state.

Has anyone determined why Dometic awnings have an auto-stop feature and Solera awnings do not?

thanks in advance
    Paul
    Paul & Maja
    2022 Imagine 2800BHS
    2019 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke

glennco First, welcome to the forum!!. I don't know why, but a Carefree awning also will continue past full extension as the Solera. Must be a difference in the hardware design, because the roller tubes are generally interchangeable between the arm styles. I have had nothing but trouble with Carefree awnings with the Traveller arms. They look like a mirror image copy of the Dometic design, which is far superior for strength. The Compass arms on our Solitude seem to have addressed the design (flaw) issues of the previous Carefree arms.
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

glennco Welcome to the family and the forum!
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I have a Solara awning and it will also roll up backwards if you stay on the switch. I believe its made this way with no position sensor so you will need to pay attention to when its fully extended.

Jim

Comment

Awnings are like toilet paper. Some like to wind over, some under. Maybe it's a feature, not a bug!

Just kidding. IDK why they didn't put a position sensor in the awning either, but it's pretty easy to just use your eyes and stop it when it reaches full extension. If you go past full extension, it's easy to wind it back the correct way.
          2022 Imagine 2600RB
          2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

I was told by the dealer guy that it would over rotate so keep an eye on it. He said if it over rotates the awning will become stretched and loose...
            Not sure of his logic...can't see how it would matter....but I do watch it because it won't stop on it's own.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Thanks everyone,

it is an odd oversight considering a relatively strong component mix.

Really it’s two disappointments
              1: Lippert for not putting on the sensor
              2: GD for still buying the awning
              Paul & Maja
              2022 Imagine 2800BHS

Comment

Originally posted by glennco View Post
                Thanks everyone,

it is an odd oversight considering a relatively strong component mix.

Really it’s two disappointments
                1: Lippert for not putting on the sensor
                2: GD for still buying the awning
                The Dometic will over rotate too just so you know. I have one.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

The Dometic will over rotate too just so you know. I have one.
                  Interesting, I have a Dometic and it stops when all the way out.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Interesting, I have a Dometic and it stops when all the way out.
                    If you press the button again it can reverse. I have had it do it - lets say operator error is possible
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

If you press the button again it can reverse. I have had it do it - lets say operator error is possible
                      This is interesting, on our Micro Minnie it stopped and would not wind back on itself if you hit “extend” again
                      Paul & Maja
                      2022 Imagine 2800BHS

Comment

Originally posted by glennco View Post

This is interesting, on our Micro Minnie it stopped and would not wind back on itself if you hit “extend” again
                        LOL - I have been known to do the impossible and let the magic smoke out

Comment

I typically over rotate the awning just so I can get the rain flap loose. This is the 3rd RV with auto awnings and none stopped. All got over rotated to make the flap fall loose. Especially on the 5ers since the awnings are too high to reach without a ladder.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X