Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antenna Dome Roof Sealant - Add to or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna Dome Roof Sealant - Add to or Replace?

I was on the roof for spring cleaning and inspection. The sealant around the antenna dome has pulled away from the plastic most of the way around. I started cleaning to re-apply then thought removing all the existing sealant and starting anew might be a better option. Advice? There appears to be good adhesion to the membrane and all other roof attachments are in good shape. (A little disappointing to find on a one year old trailer having spend the last 7 months in indoor storage. The joys of ownership.)

Mike
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Dome1.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	83632 Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Dome3.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	83633
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

What you are seeing is pretty well normal. I’d clean it with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits and a soft brush, follow with soap and water, rinse, let dry, then add the proper sealant.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I agree with John. No need in removing all of the sealant if it is well adhered to the roof and plastic.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Trying to remove the sealant from the membrane could result in membrane stretching. Only remove what is necessary and not adhered to the antenna. The using a fresh tube of self leveling sealant, re apply.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice. I removed loose pieces of sealant and cleaned with mineral spirits then dish soap. After a thorough dry, I applied Alpha self-levelling sealant. We'll see how long it lasts.

In the category safety learnings, 303 Protectant is far more slippery on TPO than Dawn is.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Working...
          X