Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 28BH Front Cap Corner Cracks

Hi All,

thought that i would start the camping year with a good exterior cleaning and wax, and as part of that I noticed some hair line cracks on the top corner of the front cap. Hard to get a picture, but if you enlarge the attached you will see them. Not on both sides, just the drivers side of the front cap. This is a new 2022 model, towed little and camped in once (so far). Would like some feedback if this should be considered a big or little deal? My hunch is this is cracking in the gel coat only, but would like some additional information if available.

Thanks
    Al Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3129.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	84191
    Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
    RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
    PullRite SuperGlide

allenrude -- that looks like more than usual. Hairline "spider" cracks are not in itself unusual in a cap, but that's not what I'm seeing.

Underneath that rubber seal is an aluminum strip that, with screws, secures the cap to the trailer. Just an opinion, but the cracks in your picture appear to be radiating out from a screw point. I don't think that's a good thing.

At minimum you might consider calling Customer Service and get a case number established so if the problem gets worse there's a record.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I 2nd Howson's comments. FWIW
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Thanks guys, as usual good advice. Should I also reach out to the dealer for their inputs? I am assuming at this point there is no actual fix that anyone would undertake until the issue progressed?
        Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
          Thanks guys, as usual good advice. Should I also reach out to the dealer for their inputs? I am assuming at this point there is no actual fix that anyone would undertake until the issue progressed?
          Dealer contact is definitely a good idea.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have had spider cracks on gel coated canoes and kayaks typically when I accidentally hit a rock with force. it could have happened when rig was delivered or as Rob pointed out, overtightened screw, Since you are under warranty, I would get a case number with grand design just to be sure it’s documented. It needs to be repaired or a new front cap installed.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

I would contact the dealer for documentation purposes. I havent been exposed to one yet that I would allow to evaluate something like this on my trailer.
              Theres more to consider than just fixing the defect, they will need to determine what the root cause was. Unless that is also addressed any repair wont last.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Thanks All. I contacted the dealer Friday and sent photos of the cracks. Will revert as i hear from them with proposed next steps.
                Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Working...
                X