Solera Awning Front Gas Cylinder Not Extending ng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solera Awning Front Gas Cylinder Not Extending ng

2022 Imagne XLS LDE Looks like the front gas cylinder has already given up. When you try to extend the awning it extends about a foot. Both front and rear motors keep rolling, the rear continues to extend but the front will not scissor out. The awning continues to roll out and the rear will continue to extend but the front just unrolls and sags. Am I looking at the function of this correctly? The gas cylinder keeps the tension on the awning?

Collin
    2022 Imagine XLS23LDE
    2022 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 High Country Duramax
    Hensley Arrow Hitch

The strut does keep tension on the awning when deployed. There is also just one motor, usually at the front but may be at the rear, there will be wires that run out the arm on the end with the motor. You may also need to clean the track and/or the rollers that ride in the track that is screwed to the wall, there are small plastic rollers that ride up and down the track, I would guess that this is the issue and not the strut.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Collin Ellis View Post
      2022 Imagne XLS LDE Looks like the front gas cylinder has already given up. When you try to extend the awning it extends about a foot. Both front and rear motors keep rolling, the rear continues to extend but the front will not scissor out. The awning continues to roll out and the rear will continue to extend but the front just unrolls and sags. Am I looking at the function of this correctly? The gas cylinder keeps the tension on the awning?

Collin
      With the awning partially deployed (and with the fabric sagging on the one side), if you stop can the offending arm be manually pulled out? If the strut is not working right you'll know in an instant, because it's nearly impossible to push back in by hand. There will be a dramatic difference in the tension from one side to the other.

If the strut is OK then there's a mechanical reason (binding bearing, etc) in the mechanism's arm system that's getting caught that the strut can not overcome.

WARNING: Those struts are powerful and the mechanism moves in a hurry when it's able--so keep all body parts away from pinch points when messing with the awning!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

With the awning partially deployed (and with the fabric sagging on the one side), if you stop can the offending arm be manually pulled out? If the strut is not working right you'll know in an instant, because it's nearly impossible to push back in by hand. There will be a dramatic difference in the tension from one side to the other.

If the strut is OK then there's a mechanical reason (binding bearing, etc) in the mechanism's arm system that's getting caught that the strut can not overcome.

WARNING: Those struts are powerful and the mechanism moves in a hurry when it's able--so keep all body parts away from pinch points when messing with the awning!
        The cylinder is dead. After closer inspection I found oil at the bottom (rod end) of the cylinder. When you motor the awning out a little I can move the arm and the cylinder will move freely by hand in both directions. (Extension and retraction)
        This is our first outing with the new RV. Dealer says they won’t get to it for a “few weeks”. I’ll just do the repair myself.

Collin
        2022 Imagine XLS23LDE
        2022 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 High Country Duramax
        Hensley Arrow Hitch

Comment

Collin Ellis we had a similar issue with our carefree compass awning arm. Dealer looked at it twice, and once "adjusted" the arm which "didn't help". At the second write up and dealer check, the tech recommended wiping from a rag some liquid (spray) silicone where the arm retracts onto itself, at the edges. Haven't had a problem since. But if you found oil, you likely do have a bad gas spring.
          Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
          2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
          Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Working...
          X