2020 2670MK Awning Center Support Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 2670MK Awning Center Support Bracket

Top fastener pulled out of the wall. Not sure if it happened while it was covered during winter storage or after we uncovered it.
    Not sure if the fastener is driven through a wall stud. Can I use a longer fastener or a larger one? Other suggestions for a repair??

If you could post a picture it would help to determine a course of action. I would always avoid going longer on any screw in a trailer. You never know whats beyond the original one.
    Its possible you could get by with the next diameter larger than what you had, it depends on how bad it failed and what happened when it pulled out.
    I found that my standard household stud finder will locate the structural members inside the wall. You can also sometimes see the outlines on the wall in the early morning if the humidity is high.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by CKHaus View Post
      Top fastener pulled out of the wall. Not sure if it happened while it was covered during winter storage or after we uncovered it.
      Not sure if the fastener is driven through a wall stud. Can I use a longer fastener or a larger one? Other suggestions for a repair??
      The awning screw is secured to the wall via a material called "EGS". See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-it-in-your-rv

Going one size larger (in diameter) will work if the existing screw will not reseat or grab when inserted. As familytruckster4 wrote--don't go longer!

When seating the new screw, seal the threads with silicone to prevent future moisture penetration and gently seat the screw by hand (no power tools). Once the new screw is flush with the awning arm and the arm is flush with the wall stop turning the screw. Very easy to overtorque screws in EGS or anywhere in our RVs.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks guys, for the responses. Thanks Howson for the link to the EGS description and video. Very informative. My wife and I immediately went outside with various magnets in hand and a ladder to check if EGS existed at our awning bracket. From the picture you can see it is definitely there beneath the bracket near the lower fastener, but it didn’t feel like it was there around the upper one, which is the one that pulled out.
        I did run the fastener in just enough to draw the bracket back in place to the wall, but I didn’t put any torque on it. Not confident that it will hold as is. Might try next size up, non-self tapper with silicone.
        Hopefully, I attached the pics correctly.
        Attached Files

Comment

Trailer manufacturers are famous for using the drill point screws. The drill point or "tek" screws are very convenient but produce a weaker bite because the drill point is a bigger diameter than what would typically be used for a hole for that diameter screw. If you go one size up and use a coarse sheet metal screw in the existing hole you will have a stronger hold. In the interest of overkill when replacing the screw I would remove the lower screw and back butter the bracket with an "adhesive" silicone and then replace it.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
          X