Adding a Curt RV Hitch Receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Curt RV Hitch Receiver

I want to carry my bikes on the back of the Travel Trailer, but I don't want to attach anything to the bumper. Curt manufactures a RV hitch receiver that attaches to the frame of the Travel Trailer. However I have a transcend 200MK and the frame is not accessible to attach the hitch receiver. On the 200MK the bumper is welded to two steel channels that are then welded to the frame. I would like to know the weight rating on the channels that are welded to the frame - can I safely attach the hitch receiver (below) to the steel channels and use this to carry the bike rack with two bikes? - total weight expected to be about 100 Lbs. If no one on the forum can answer this then who can I contact at Grand Design to get this answer?

Thanks!
    Randy

I think you would get a better answer from Lippert, they build the frames.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Brian - I started with Lippert and they sent me to Curt. I talked to Curt about it and they recommended I speak with Grand Design (Because Grand Design provides the specifications for the chassis to Lippert). If Grand design sends me to Lippert then the circle will be complete

Comment

Originally posted by aorrville View Post
        Hi Brian - I started with Lippert and they sent me to Curt. I talked to Curt about it and they recommended I speak with Grand Design (Because Grand Design provides the specifications for the chassis to Lippert). If Grand design sends me to Lippert then the circle will be complete
        Ya sometimes that does seem to happen. I am just not sure who would be able to tell you the strength of the welded channel.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I mounted that exact hitch to my 303 which has the same bumper mounting method. I’m not familiar with how the Transcend is made.Why is your frame not accessible? What blocks you?
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by aorrville View Post
            That makes no sense--why would Lippert sent you to an aftermarket OEM who won't have a clue about the end item (your trailer's frame)?

Did you find the RPO number on the frame rail? It's on a white sticker that's likely on the inside of the "A" part of the front frame. Find that RPO number for the frame and call Lippert back and talk to someone else. They are the frame OEM and will have the answer. The RPO will provide the exact identification the Lippert rep needs.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That makes no sense--why would Lippert sent you to an aftermarket OEM who won't have a clue about the end item (your trailer's frame)?

Did you find the RPO number on the frame rail? It's on a white sticker that's likely on the inside of the "A" part of the front frame. Find that RPO number for the frame and call Lippert back and talk to someone else. They are the frame OEM and will have the answer. The RPO will provide the exact identification the Lippert rep needs.
              I thought I had heard Curt was owned by Lippert now and handling their aftermarket sales. That's probably why they sent them there, but you'd hope they'd be more helpful then.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I thought I had heard Curt was owned by Lippert now and handling their aftermarket sales. That's probably why they sent them there, but you'd hope they'd be more helpful then.
                You are correct. Curt is owned by Lippert.

John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion that GD or Lippert is going to say that adding anything on the back of that frame will void the frame warranty.
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I called Grand Design and they (as expected) told me to call Lippert, but also provided instructions on how to get the right person at Lippert.

So I called Lippert and they told me that they cannot recommend adding anything to the frame that requires drilling, cutting, or welding and that if the frame were meant to carry this type of receiver hitch the mounting features would be provided from the factory.

They recommended the Jack-it bike rack which attaches to the frame at the jack.. I cannot use the Jack-it because one of the bikes is an e-bike and it is too heavy for me to lift into place.

(One thing to note in talking to these companies - Grand Design told me that the bumper was rated to 300 Lbs, and Lippert told me the bumper was rated to 150 LBS. I am going with the number from Lippert.)

This is just one example where I am disappointed with RV industry. They know that many, many people want to carry bikes (and E-bikes are becoming super popular) and they simply refuse to put into place the features needed to easily install a safe way to carry bikes. How hard would it be to add some mounting holes to allow easy attachment of the Curt Receiver hitch?

Oh - well I guess lippert /Curt loses out on $500 revenue over 50 cents worth of mounting holes.

Comment

Making the frame robust enough to carry the added equipment costs money. The RV industry has always been hyper cost and weight conscious. Unfortunately these type of deep dive questions dont get brought up during many sales.
                      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

aorrville Another option would be a front receiver on your truck. Honestly even if it did support the weight, I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with the weight of an ebike on the back of the RV. Way too much bouncing.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

There is a lot more “bounce” to the back end of a towable RV than there is to the hitch location on a vehicle. So much so, that many bike carrier manufacturers specifically state that their product is not to be used on the back of a trailer. These same bounce loads affect the hitch receiver to trailer frame/bumper attachment. Carrying the weight of E bikes off the back end of an RV trailer is more complex than just providing mounting holes in the trailer frame. Extending the structure that attaches the bumper to the bottom of the frame, further forward on the frame rails would counter the leverage that the bouncing bikes will have on the attachment to the trailer.

Just an idea from another RV owner . . .

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            There is a lot more “bounce” to the back end of a towable RV than there is to the hitch location on a vehicle. So much so, that many bike carrier manufacturers specifically state that their product is not to be used on the back of a trailer. These same bounce loads affect the hitch receiver to trailer frame/bumper attachment. Carrying the weight of E bikes off the back end of an RV trailer is more complex than just providing mounting holes in the trailer frame. Extending the structure that attaches the bumper to the bottom of the frame, further forward on the frame rails would counter the leverage that the bouncing bikes will have on the attachment to the trailer.

Just an idea from another RV owner . . .

Rob
                            IMO, a solid mount for a bike rack or cargo carrier for the back would be a big seller and money maker. 5th wheel owners struggle to find room for generators and a family load of bikes. Maybe two strong mounting points to the frame down low, and two more up higher to control the bouncing.
                            John & Kathy
                            2014 Reflection 303RLS
                            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                              aorrville Another option would be a front receiver on your truck. Honestly even if it did support the weight, I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with the weight of an ebike on the back of the RV. Way too much bouncing.
                              The weight of the ebike is not that much - 45 LBS. That is about the same as two non-electric bikes. I considered the front receiver option and I may still head in this direction but for now I am looking at carrying the bikes in the bed of the truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X