Exterior screws won't grab, tighten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior screws won't grab, tighten

I need to either get a larger size than #8 or somehow fill the hole. I put in an aftermarket backup camera but the bottom screws go in and won't tighten. Maybe the holes are wallowed out. Any ideas for larger screws? Thanks for suggestions.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
    I need to either get a larger size than #8 or somehow fill the hole. I put in an aftermarket backup camera but the bottom screws go in and won't tighten. Maybe the holes are wallowed out. Any ideas for larger screws? Thanks for suggestions.
    Go one size larger to #10. It happens more often that not. Or the tooth picks and epoxy fill routine
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi Bill,

#10 or even #12 Sheet Metal screws (these have the widest coarse thread available) and should be long enough to get past the tapered end of the screw in the wall material. Installed by hand . . . no power driver. These screws are available from a marine store in stainless steel.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Appreciate the input.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
          Appreciate the input.
          Coat the larger screw threads with silicone, too, before installing. (Yet another practice "stolen" from my fellow moderator, Cate&Rob .)

A note of clarification to anyone reading this thread that may attempt to fill a hole with epoxy: make sure the epoxy is safe to use with the foam board that makes up the laminated wall. Yoda -- wasn't it you that found out that even lock lubrication can destroy the foam? I seem to remember a thread about a door?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I generally remove and seal the ladder screws and any other high load screws when we get a new trailer. I have found that a good quality silicone will not only seal but strengthen the grip of any screws that seem loose when removed. I will run them back in partially with a power driver but usually finish them by hand so I get just the right amount of gription (technical term)
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

[QUOTE=howson;n87123]

Coat the larger screw threads with silicone, too, before installing. (Yet another practice "stolen" from my fellow moderator, Cate&Rob .)

A note of clarification to anyone reading this thread that may attempt to fill a hole with epoxy: make sure the epoxy is safe to use with the foam board that makes up the laminated wall. Yoda -- wasn't it you that found out that even lock lubrication can destroy the foam? I seem to remember a thread about a door?[/QUOTE

Yep Blaster dissolved the door foam https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...dissolves-foam. However I have not had any issues with the West System epoxy that Rob recommended Cate&Rob , but I have only used it on a limited basis,
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Fiberglass Resin will make foam disappear in seconds and should be avoided.

I've used CRC with Teflon on locks as well as on the slide, stabilizers and more.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  Fiberglass Resin will make foam disappear in seconds and should be avoided.

I've used CRC with Teflon on locks as well as on the slide, stabilizers and more.

Jim
                  Jim
                  Good to know. In my case is was a small dab in the hole and on the skinny 1/8" hardwood dowel to fill a stripped screw hole. I then discovered better ways like Plus Nuts or threaded rivet inserts. I am surprised the CRC did not dissolve the foam too as the carrier for the Teflon is similar to the Blaster product.

Safe travels
                  Keith

Comment

Keith,

PB Blaster is far more caustic and will also destroy rubber materials.

Jim

Comment

We had issues with people using PB blaster on water valves on the trucks, it will eat rubber seals up like no ones business. Its a great product but you really have to watch what you use it on.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        Keith,

PB Blaster is far more caustic and will also destroy rubber materials.

Jim
                        familytruckster4

Thanks you two. Do you know if thier silicone spray or white lithium grease has the same issue? I carry both of those too. Both say safe on plastics/ rubber
                        Keith

Comment

I have a question. I've seen recommendations in these instances for larger screws with "coarse" threads. Wouldn't "fine" threads hold better on thin sheet metal?
                          2020 Reflection 273MK
                          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

familytruckster4

Thanks you two. Do you know if thier silicone spray or white lithium grease has the same issue? I carry both of those too. Both say safe on plastics/ rubber
                            Keith
                            Silicone spray will not harm the seals in most valves and is easier to use on a valve since it will flow easily.. When rebuilding them we were taught to coat things with white lithium during reassembly, keep in mind that this was not potable water though. I do use a white lithium on my water hoses and connections for my RV but we never drink that water. I dont think it will cause any harm on drinking water lines but it may produce a bad taste for a little while.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                              I have a question. I've seen recommendations in these instances for larger screws with "coarse" threads. Wouldn't "fine" threads hold better on thin sheet metal?
                              In most cases your screwing into a thin layer of luan. Since manufacturing uses pneumatic tools for assembly, screws are commonly stripped.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X