Flagpoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagpoles

Ever since the Elkhart rally back in Aug I have suffered from "Flagpole Envy". Many of my fellow GD owners had awesome setups. I want one, too!

I ordered and received Camco's 16' setup #51606 and I'm very disappointed. The sleeve fits very loosely in the base and the flagpole also sits loosely in the sleeve. Makes for a wobbly setup. I can't believe they don't have a way to tighten them together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Camco.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.6 KB ID:	8733

Before I order a replacement, this is what I am considering. Note it has a way to tighten the pole and base together:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flagpole to go.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	8734

If you have any first-hand experience or recommendations please let me know.

-Howard
    Last edited by howson; 03-29-2020, 01:36 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard - I'm not sure if you remember our set up or not from the National Rally.

When we were at a Good Sam rally a few years ago, we got a nice discount on our system. It is very pricey, but it has held up well. And the machining of the components is top notch. There is no "wobble" like you describe in your Camco set up.

Here is a link to their site.

http://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Couldn't you just add a couple thumb screws to the one you have? Drill, tap and add screw(s).
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
        Couldn't you just add a couple thumb screws to the one you have? Drill, tap and add screw(s).
        Yes, I considered it. But why should I have to modify a brand new item? No, I'll send it back with the documented complaint so maybe the company "wakes up" and fixes this sub-par product.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Howard - I'm not sure if you remember our set up or not from the National Rally.

When we were at a Good Sam rally a few years ago, we got a nice discount on our system. It is very pricey, but it has held up well. And the machining of the components is top notch. There is no "wobble" like you describe in your Camco set up.

Here is a link to their site.

http://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/

Jim
          I also have the same setup as Jim. Used this on my TT prior to my Grand Design. It's worked great for the past 8 years. I have had this in 35mph sustained winds (single flag) without any issues. Like Jim stated...very pricey but my success with it has made it worth the money.

I have the same setup in my front yard at the house and it has been flying a flag for over a decade. The company is about an hour from where I live in Minnesota. I have been to their facility and the staff has been awesome to work with.

Lyle
          Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
          2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
          2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

I have the “Uncommon” flagpole also, left over from my last residence. My new residence had its own pole, so I haven’t used it yet. I’ve been thinking about using it while trailering. I’ve seen, and almost bought, the base for the tongue jack. My question is, how are you guys carrying the long pole during travel? Even folded up, it is substantial. It will likely fit in my 8’ truck bed, but wondering what you all are doing.
            Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
            2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
            2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

Originally posted by Steve7 View Post
              I have the “Uncommon” flagpole also, left over from my last residence. My new residence had its own pole, so I haven’t used it yet. I’ve been thinking about using it while trailering. I’ve seen, and almost bought, the base for the tongue jack. My question is, how are you guys carrying the long pole during travel? Even folded up, it is su**tantial. It will likely fit in my 8’ truck bed, but wondering what you all are doing.
              I'm going to copy what TucsonJim documented in this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...under-your-rig

Comment

Howard - I've had the Sunsetter telescoping flagpole for over 10 years and love it. I have the aluminum base for it and that's what I use my tripod for. The 4 section pole uses spring clips to keep the pole up and not the twist lock. Pricey but durable.
                Patrick & Marla Hansen
                Boomer, Sooner and Gizmo
                2014 Solitude 368RD

Comment

Originally posted by phansen View Post
                  Howard - I've had the Sunsetter telescoping flagpole for over 10 years and love it. I have the aluminum base for it and that's what I use my tripod for. The 4 section pole uses spring clips to keep the pole up and not the twist lock. Pricey but durable.
                  Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see the option for a base on their website? https://www.sunsetter.com/FlagpoleProducts

Comment

Try this website. http://www.sunsetterflagpole.com/ Look for "Wheel Stand"
                    Patrick & Marla Hansen
                    Boomer, Sooner and Gizmo
                    2014 Solitude 368RD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

While I like the idea of a pole attached to the ladder on the rear of the camper (fast setup and teardown). I'm going to fly the flag of the United States, so the pole and flag must be at the front of my camper. (Some ways of thinking just can't be changed after 30 years in the military.) So what I decided on is a base that I'd put under the powered tongue jack.
                      Interesting. I was a Navy kid, and still see fleet vessels and commercial boats around the harbor everyday. The flag is always flown from the stern, moored or underway. In some cases of rough seas or really foul weather the colors may be shifted to the mainmast, or if equipped, the peak of the gaff.

My Christmas wish list includes a ladder-mount flagpole. Maybe it's the land-sea difference.
                      Last edited by Gimpyknee; 12-11-2019, 03:57 PM.
                      Scott & Fonda
                      2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
                      2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
                      Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
                      Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
                      Virginia Beach

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpyknee View Post

Interesting. I was a Navy kid, and still see fleet vessels and commercial boats around the harbor everyday. The flag is always flown from the stern, moored or underway. In some cases of rough seas or really foul weather the colors may be shifted to the mainmast, or if equipped, the peak of the gaff.

My Christmas wish list includes a ladder-mount flagpole. Maybe it's the land-sea difference.
                        That's an excellent point. The flag is always on the tail flash of an aircraft, too. My thinking was in regards to a "building". There's no right or wrong, here. Only exception is precedence when flying more than one flag, but that's a topic for another day.

Comment

Some do consider these campers as land yachts.

Jim

Comment

From a life on the water, I obviously know that the country flag is flown from the stern of a vessel. On our RV we fly our flag on the pinbox. The "wrong end" from a vessel perspective, but there is no "wrong end" from a land residence point of view.

Rob
                            Attached Files
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X