Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solitude 310GK tank vent identification.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solitude 310GK tank vent identification.

I am trying to identify the 2 tank vents (black and grey) on the roof of my 2017 Solitude 310GK. I am having issues that indicate a plugged black tank vent (tank flush water stops flowing after a minute {tank pressurizing?}, disconnecting the flush hose or opening the toilet valve will suddenly result in black tank normal drain flow {venting air through flush connection or toilet thus breaking vacuum?} and an air release (popping) when flushing the toilet.
    I would like to attempt to clear the black tank vent line but only one vent cap is removable, the other was replaced a while back and is not. I do not know which vent cap is which (I am really hoping the black vent is still removable).
    I am including a picture of the roof, looking forward, with the 2 vents indicated.
    2017 Solitude GK310
    2017 Ram 3500

Hi Vabiii3.

The black cap is the plumbing vent. The white cap is an attic vent that keeps the roof area ventilated. On earlier models, there was a problem with vent pipes slipping down into the holding tank. But I can't remember if this affected 2017 models or not. It would make sense though based on your issues.

Jim.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim , Thanks for the reply!
      HMmm, I had assumed each tank would have its own vent. I don't know how I can flush it from the roof now. Guess I'll start emptying the storage area. I'll be back
      2017 Solitude GK310
      2017 Ram 3500

Comment

Originally posted by vabiii3 View Post
        TucsonJim , Thanks for the reply!
        HMmm, I had assumed each tank would have its own vent. I don't know how I can flush it from the roof now. Guess I'll start emptying the storage area. I'll be back
        And of course, when I examine the drawings for the 310, they show three different vents to the roof, but don't show them tied together. Obviously if the drawings were correct, you'd have four vents on the roof. One for each gray, one for the black tank, and one for the ceiling.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

And of course, when I examine the drawings for the 310, they show three different vents to the roof, but don't show them tied together. Obviously if the drawings were correct, you'd have four vents on the roof. One for each gray, one for the black tank, and one for the ceiling.

Jim
          TucsonJim. I am now thoroughly confused . I have only 1 tank of each...gray, black and fresh. Maybe one of the vents you see is actually Fresh tank? I am going to try a specialized tank treatment and purchase a tank flushing hose attachment. I will treat and flood both gray and black before leaving for Georgia trip and allow the "stuff" to work on the way. The campground has full hookups so maybe I can clean out any issues that way.
          Where did you get those drawings, BTW?
          2017 Solitude GK310
          2017 Ram 3500

Comment

Originally posted by vabiii3 View Post

TucsonJim. I am now thoroughly confused . I have only 1 tank of each...gray, black and fresh. Maybe one of the vents you see is actually Fresh tank? I am going to try a specialized tank treatment and purchase a tank flushing hose attachment. I will treat and flood both gray and black before leaving for Georgia trip and allow the "stuff" to work on the way. The campground has full hookups so maybe I can clean out any issues that way.
            Where did you get those drawings, BTW?

As for the drawings, the forum moderators have access to many of the prints. Unfortunately, GDRV will not allow us to share them. But if you'd like a copy of one of the drawings, you can contact customer service.

You really do have two gray tanks. Every one of their Solitudes has at least two grays, one black and one fresh.

The layout is as follows. There are two tanks installed side by side at the front. They run parallel to the frame. The one on the driver's side is the black tank. The one on the passenger side is the gray tank for the shower and bathroom sink. Behind these two tanks is another gray tank for the kithen sink. It runs perpendicular to the frame.

I'm not 100% certain where the location of the pull handle is on the second gray tank for your 310. Sometimes it's mounted along the frame.

Here's what I think may be happening. You only thought you had one gray tank, and drained it. But if you didn't know about the second gray, it's probably full and backed up into the common vent pipe. Without seeing the exact plumbing layout, it may be enough to cause the other tanks to have a difficult time venting. I'm just trying to think about possible scenarios that could cause your issues, and I may be off base.

The first thing I'd do is try and find that other pull handle and drain the second gray. If there other 310 owners, they may be able to pinpoint where that handle is.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Not to be argumentative but...I have looked everywhere...there is no other gray tank or a 2nd pull valve.
              https://www.rvguide.com/specs/grand-...ude/310gk.html
              https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...-310gk-tr31361
              https://rvs.autotrader.com/rv-resear...310gk-overview
              https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2017/.../6564488/Specs
              2017 Solitude GK310
              2017 Ram 3500

Comment

vabiii3

Please post a picture of you water panel where the handles are for the tanks.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you are only dumping two tanks . . . is it possible that you are draining the two grey tanks and the black is leaking into the common manifold . . . leaving the "pyramid" to block the input and vent pipes in the black tank? Since this is a 2017 . . . is this situation something that has just started to happen recently?

Just some more "brainstorming" . . .

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Those links are very helpful. It looks like the earliest 310GK production units had only one 50 gallon gray tank. The DWV drawing shows it was created in March of 2017, and updated on 7/19/2017. But it does not indicate what changed. And using the same links you provided, it appears the gray capacity doubled in the 2018 model years and later which coincides with what you're seeing.

Normally, the drawings we have show the change history from inception of the unit. So assuming that you only have two tanks, that scratches the hypothesis about a plugged up drain line.

Country Campers
                    Cate&Rob
                    Info...

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

TucsonJim Country Campers

But . . . the holding tank drawing that we have access to (showing three tanks) is dated September of 2016. All Solitudes and Reflections of this general floor plan have the three tank layout that Jim describes. Having spent a fair amount of time under my 303 . . . I don't see how a two tank configuration would fit the space .

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I would have to agree with Rob, there are 3 tanks in this year/model. Just not sure how there would only be 2 tanks unless the drop frame would help with the drain slope from the kitchen sink but I do not believe that there is only 2 tanks.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would also add that for all of the units that I have seen over the years there has only been one vent on the roof that all of the tanks were merged into, fifth wheel only, and can be visible behind the aft removable wall in the pass thru storage.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Well there may be a correction made here. I found a pic of the nautilus panel
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (72).png
Views:	611
Size:	790.0 KB
ID:	87438

Looks like there is only 2 handles here for the tank drains, interesting.

Second Chance , Rob does your 310GK have 2 grey tanks? Does it have 2 grey and one black tank pull handle?

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cate&Rob Country Campers

I checked on another forum, and there was an owner of a 2017 310GK who reported they only had one 50 gallon gray tank, and that if you wanted two, you needed a 2018 version. I'll send you the link via email. The drawing package is in error.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                              X