Attic Vent Cover - Replacement and Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attic Vent Cover - Replacement and Repair

I was doing my quarterly roof maintenance and found that the attic roof vent was damaged and cracked due to UV exposure. While replacing the outer cover, I also detected that it as incorrectly installed by the factory. The photos below show the defects and repairs. I'm also including a link for replacement parts.

The first photo shows the crack around the perimeter of the vent's outer cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent cap 5.jpg
Views:	1674
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	87634

The second photo is a new vent and cover that were purchased on Amazon. You can't purchase just the cover, but the entire assembly is pretty inexpensive. Note, there is a flange on the body of the vent that is supposed to be facing forward to prevent rain from entering the attic while driving.

Name:	Vent Cap 4.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	87635

When GDRV installed my vent, they clocked the body of the vent 120° from where it should have been. That can be seen in the next photo. The front of the RV is to the top of the photo. It was pretty easy to remedy the misclocked vent body. I loosened the nut that holds the body of the vent to its base. Then, rotated it so the flange was pointing forward and retightened the nut. If you do this, do NOT remove the nut. the bolt will fall into the attic and be difficult to retrieve.

Name:	Vent Cap 3.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	87636

Finally, I screwed the new vent cover onto the existing nut and should be good for another five years. By reusing the original base and body of the vent, I didn't have to remove the sealant which is still in pretty good shape.

Name:	Vent Cap 1.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	87637

This link is for the part I purchased on Amazon. It fits the vent on my 2017 Reflection. It may or may not work for all models and model years. Price was $11.68.
    https://amazon.com/dp/B074JFP3PP?psc...roduct_details

Total repair time was about 10 minutes.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Thank you Jim. I was wondering how this vent cap was attached. My attic vent is deteriorating and will need to be replaced.

Jim

Comment

Is it possible that during the removal you rotated the intermediate piece?

I lost one during travel before. The thread on cap is a bit questionable in my opinion. That's a non stop inspection point on the roof of the unit.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Is it possible that during the removal you rotated the intermediate piece?

I lost one during travel before. The thread on cap is a bit questionable in my opinion. That's a non stop inspection point on the roof of the unit.
        No, the nut that holds the mid section onto the base was tight, and due to the slots, it couldn't have rotated. I can't put too much blame on the factory installers. The original did not have markings showing how it was supposed to be oriented. So unless they knew, it was just luck if it was oriented correctly. The new piece is stamped "front" on the flange.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

TucsonJim
          Finally getting around to "The List". One item was checking the attic vent as documented in this thread. Took me a second to realize the cover unscrews from the base. Sure enough, it came off quite easily. At first I was pleased that it was still in one piece, though showing evidence of UV damage. Flexed it just a bit and it crumbled in my hand. New part on order.

The orientation of the base is off, too. Mine is also rotated to the right, centered at about the 2 o'clock position. I'll fix that when the new cover comes in. As noted in your excellent documentation I'll be sure to not let the bolt fall into the attic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Attic Vent (1) (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	108899

Click image for larger version  Name:	Attic Vent (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.8 KB ID:	108898
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Thanks brotha!
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

TucsonJim howson

You two are such a pain Now another thing to check when I get my dimensional challenged body back on the roof And what fun is not loosing the bolt into the attic - I got my bore scope with magnet for thatThanks for the heads up as I would have taken the nut full off. Might as well add this to my Amazon list .........more $. At least I don't own a boat or an airplane. Friend is up against the required major inspection/rebuild hours. Now that can get expensive from what I hear - let alone current AV-gas prices.

Had a thought - get the part and get to the rally and have the wonderful GD folks check it for me - do they do that?

Well back to my spare bearing research - trying to cross match Dexter and Timken

Thanks for the heads up and how to Jim

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                Had a thought - get the part and get to the rally and have the wonderful GD folks check it for me - do they do that?
                I'll be happy to check it for you at the rally, Keith, and replace as required. Get the part and consider it done.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'll be happy to check it for you at the rally, Keith, and replace as required. Get the part and consider it done.
                  Thanks Howard
                  Your Awesome

Ill order the parts today. - some other stuff too

Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Not on the GD, but on my previous 5er I lost one of the attic vents. Not a big fan of the screw on cap design as it appears once it gets loose, it becomes a UFO.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X