Back up Camera Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back up Camera Recommendations

I am looking for backup camera recommendations for the 2022 solitude 390rkr. Thanks in advance

Originally posted by mgalloway View Post
    I am looking for backup camera recommendations for the 2022 solitude 390rkr. Thanks in advance
    There are lots of camera posts here. Do a search and you will find plenty of threads discussing this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Before purchasing one, determine if you want a "backup" or "observation" camera. A back up camera is typically only powered while in reverse and is beneficial for parking. An observation camera is continuously powered while driving and typically used in place of a rear view mirror. In fact, I actually attach my observation camera to the rear view mirror in my truck since it's a natural place to look when wanting to see what's going on behind me.

My Furrion camera system recently failed. A direct replacement was very high priced, so I decided to go with the one linked below, but haven't tried it yet.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07HC1...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Another consideration for a rear view camera is it’s lens. A “backup” camera typically has a wide (fisheye) lens with very limited depth of vision. An observation camera has a narrower but longer focus. I had a Garmin “backup” camera that was nearly useless when running down the highway because it couldn’t see anything behind us until they were very close to the trailer.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Before purchasing one, determine if you want a "backup" or "observation" camera. A back up camera is typically only powered while in reverse and is beneficial for parking. An observation camera is continuously powered while driving and typically used in place of a rear view mirror. In fact, I actually attach my observation camera to the rear view mirror in my truck since it's a natural place to look when wanting to see what's going on behind me.

My Furrion camera system recently failed. A direct replacement was very high priced, so I decided to go with the one linked below, but haven't tried it yet.

Jim
          Please give us an update when you've had a chance to check it out. Really good reviews on Amazon.

Side question - what circuit powers the pre-wired Furrion bases on GD trailers?
          Ottertail, Minnesota
          2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
          2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

On the 22MLE, power comes from the running lights.
            In my case, you need to have your lights on for the camera to function.
            Robert and Chris
            2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
            2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

We use the Furrion observation camera where the bracket was already on the rig so mounting was easy. We find it mostly useful for over the road. Instances where we pass or move over for merging traffic is the best benefit IMO. You can clearly see when to merge back over into the slow lane. For backing into campsites an open site may be ok but I would never trust it in a forested situation. You cannot see above it and depth perception is not there. The DW is best for guidance where we use our cells phones or walki talkies to communicate when backing in.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Please give us an update when you've had a chance to check it out. Really good reviews on Amazon.

The power source depends on the model and year. Earlier models were powered up 24/7. Later models were powered via the running lights. Mine was continuously powered, so I traced the wire and put a switch in one of the back cabinets so I could shut it off.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

TucsonJim and Capt Bob Thanks. Ours is a 2022 so I'll assume running lights (and verify if and when I put a camera back there).
                  Ottertail, Minnesota
                  2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                  2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Thanks for the link Jim! I fly drones with camera systems around $100 and was floored by the cost of the Furrion system and thought there had to be a reasonable alternative - it's all just 5.8 Ghz transmission/reception same thing on my drones.

I'll read a few reviews and then probably purchase based on the star rating so far. Will report back when installed.
                    2021 2800BH
                    2021 F150 Crew

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
                      Greetings Jim!
                      Have you tried your new camera yet?

Erik
                      Erik & Tea
                      2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                      2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                      ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post

Greetings Jim!
                        Have you tried your new camera yet?

Erik
                        I did and it worked well. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. The picture was clear and sharp. It was much better than the Furrion which had a fuzzy purple tint. The monitor was a little too large for my taste, but I was still able to velcro it to my rear view mirror. Finally, I wish it had a little wider field of view, but it's okay as is.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

TucsonJim

Wonderful! And at a great price too....
                          Can you monitor traffic with it, or just for backing?

Erik
                          Erik & Tea
                          2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                          2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                          ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
                            TucsonJim

Wonderful! And at a great price too....
                            Can you monitor traffic with it, or just for backing?

Erik
                            I can definitely monitor traffic with it, and I can see when someone is right on my tail when I can't see them in my mirrors. On the Furrion camera, I used to get signal drops all the time. With this one, I didn't have any drops in a 100 mile trip.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I use the Haloview RD7....very happy with the picture quality. I use it to monitor my boat behind the 303 when going on boondocking fishing trips. Otherwise it is very useful for monitoring traffic and knowing when the back of the trailer is past the front of the semi you just passed.
                              https://www.haloview.com/
                              Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-15-2022, 04:21 PM.
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                              X