How to Replace Decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Replace Decals

After 5-1/2 years of sun exposure and a rally vendor who used a wax that was not "decal friendly", I had to replace a few decals.

Step 1 - I went to the GDRV "parts lookup" page and determine the decal part numbers. I sent a request to "Customerservice@granddesignrv.com" and they generously sent me the requested decals at no charge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Decal 1.jpg
Views:	1900
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	88171

Name:	Decal 2.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	88172

Step 2 - I ordered a 16 oz. bottle of GraphXOff directly from the company for $21.95, along with a plastic razor blade scraper from Amazon for $7.64 including 60 blades.

GraphXOff
    https://www.autotrimdesign.net/Graph...mover_GROG.asp

Razor Blade Scraper
    https://amazon.com/dp/B08YF7TFJD?psc...roduct_details

Step 3 - I applied GraphXOff with a brush and let is sit for 30 minutes. Then, I used the plastic razor scraper to start removing the decals. Even though this is the easiest way I've found to remove decals, it still is quite labor intensive. Make sure you change the plastic razor blades every couple of inches. They dull quickly.

Name:	Graph X Off 1.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	88173

Name:	Graph X Off.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	88174

Step 4 - After removing the decal, I used two more treatments of GraphXOff and scraping to remove any remaining adhesive residue. This was very easy, and only took a couple of minutes.

Step 5 - Use soapy water to remove any remaining residual chemicals, and then rinse the soap off and allow to dry.

Step 6 - I used the soap and water "slip method" to place the new decals. This is the first time I've used this method, and it was super easy to position the decals perfectly. Here is a YouTube link I followed that demonstates the slip method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ecX7a4004

Step 7 - Once the decals are in place and have dried for 15-30 minutes, be VERY careful when separating the top cover from the decal. It's easy to pull the decal loose if you're not careful.

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	88175

Final thoughts:

The GraphXOff product is easier to use than the heat gun method, but still took a little more effort than I anticipated. The clear coat on the fiberglass was not degraded at all by the chemical. The soap and water slip method is ingenious, and very forgiving in regards to decal placement. Overall, I'm very happy with the outcome.

Now, to wash and wax the RV with decal friendly wax.

Jim

Cate&Rob I know you were looking to replace some decals too. Hope this is helpful.

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

As an afterthought. I only used about 7 oz. of the 16 oz. bottle of GraphXOff for this job. So it goes a long way!

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      As an afterthought. I only used about 7 oz. of the 16 oz. bottle of GraphXOff for this job. So it goes a long way!

Jim
      You know Jim - your decals look like my sun burned folicly challenged head - pealing. Great tip on the GraphXOff. I would have thought the heat gun would be better. And you would haft to go and post something new for my tool box https://amazon.com/dp/B08YF7TFJD?psc...roduct_details
      Learned something new - Thanks
      Keith

On edit
      The decal part number look up. Under what category did you find it. I need to replace the center door decal after my Blaster Disaster. I discovered the drips when lubing the lock faded it and my cleaning effort on the foam that leaked out did more damage.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

The decal part number look up. Under what category did you find it. I need to replace the center door decal after my Blaster Disaster. I discovered the drips when lubing the lock faded it and my cleaning effort on the foam that leaked out did more damage.
        Keith,

The graphics can be found under "Graphics"....

Name:	Keith Graphics.JPG
Views:	1122
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	88202

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Keith,

The graphics can be found under "Graphics"....

Name:	Keith Graphics.JPG
Views:	1122
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	88202

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll go hide in my corner of shame now Somehow I missed it. "Good Grief" as Charlie Brown would say

Thanks
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have replaced a few UV deteriorated stripes. The dark red ones seem to be the first to disintegrate. I used acetone to soften the decal to be removed. Being very careful not to touch any adjacent decal with the acetone rag. Then I used the plastic “razor blade” tool that Jim describes with frequent blade changes. You can buy a box of a hundred blades on Amazon for the price of a few at a retail store.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              I have replaced a few UV deteriorated stripes. The dark red ones seem to be the first to disintegrate. I used acetone to soften the decal to be removed. Being very careful not to touch any adjacent decal with the acetone rag. Then I used the plastic “razor blade” tool that Jim describes with frequent blade changes. You can buy a box of a hundred blades on Amazon for the price of a few at a retail store.

Rob
              Rob - did the acetone remove any of the clearcoat?

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Rob - did the acetone remove any of the clearcoat?

Jim
                The acetone “wipe” of the decal with a rag did not seem to have any affect on the fibreglass gel coat. In fact, I used the same rag to remove all traces of glue after scraping away the old decal. I do have an aftermarket “guaranteed to last forever” coating that the dealer sold me . . . and that I wish I had never encountered . . . but this would not have been below the decals. The acetone also does not seem to remove this coating (I wish it did!)

Rob

Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Anyone ever try the rubber drill wheel? https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Remo...ps%2C85&sr=8-5 Ive had good luck with it on other vinyl decals.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Anyone ever try the rubber drill wheel? https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Remo...ps%2C85&sr=8-5 Ive had good luck with it on other vinyl decals.
                    Hi Joseph,

I have one of those 3M decal removers and I tried it. It does work as advertised, but I found the plastic razor blade method to be more “controllable” in the tight space where I was removing one stripe close to another that I did not want to damage.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jim - thanks for the post on this.

For any others who may be looking at this as well, please note that after so many years, GDRV does not carry some or maybe even all of the decals. I worked with GDRV last fall to get some new decals for the front cap of our 2014 vintage 303 and some were no longer available. The moral of the stay is to get the decals sooner than later as waiting will not work in your favor.

By the way, if anyone has any 2014 Reflection front cap decals for sale, please let me know. i was able to get about 1/2 of those I need but others a no go. I don't recall which ones exactly right now.......will have to go back and review my notes.

Dan
                      Dan & Carol
                      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                        Jim - thanks for the post on this.

For any others who may be looking at this as well, please note that after so many years, GDRV does not carry some or maybe even all of the decals. I worked with GDRV last fall to get some new decals for the front cap of our 2014 vintage 303 and some were no longer available. The moral of the stay is to get the decals sooner than later as waiting will not work in your favor.

By the way, if anyone has any 2014 Reflection front cap decals for sale, please let me know. i was able to get about 1/2 of those I need but others a no go. I don't recall which ones exactly right now.......will have to go back and review my notes.

Dan
                        Although not restoring to original, I've often wondered how an "automotive wrap" would look on the front of a trailer. They are not that expensive, come in lots of neat designs, and save the time of putting the decals back on. Since they wrap entire cars and trucks with them, I assume they would last even in the sun for some time.
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

If you can find a picture of what the decal looked like, you could probably have a decal printed on high performance vinyl cheaper than purchasing from GD.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            If you can find a picture of what the decal looked like, you could probably have a decal printed on high performance vinyl cheaper than purchasing from GD.
                            Joseph, a number of us have shared this over the years as a viable option. GDRV has offered many things over the years to us (including these) at no charge so cost is not a concern. In my in my post the key was that a number of these decals (not only for our 2014 vintage Reflections) but Mos and Solitudes as well, are no longer available If I need to go the non-GDRV OME route, it has been an option in the deck.

Thanks, for your thoughts.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

After successfully replacing the decals on the slide out that were damage, I noted that the decals on the top of my front cap were in pretty good shape also. I sent a request for new ones which they agreed to send me IF they still have them in stock. I'm waiting for an inventory check to see if i need to come up with an alternate plan.

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                              X