No announcement yet.

Something wrong with this roof sealant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something wrong with this roof sealant?

I went over the roof sealant in my 2021 381m in any questionable areas about 10 days. I used Acetone to clean the areas and Alpha Systems Lap Sealant, which is what the manual recommends and not Dicor. (It was a PIA to find this stuff)

I went up there to check on how it settled and it's very weird. It's got soo many bubbles through it. It's still very soft too. I could "smoosh" all the bubbles together in areas if I spend enough time on it. Is all this normal? Could the Sealant I got be bad? Could the fact that it's been 100+ here every day have to do with it?

I attached pictures for reference. As you can see, I got the wrong color as I mistook the dirt baked onto the past sealant as the color of it! Luckily it's on top and doesn't matter. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	88297 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	88300 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	88299 Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	88298
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

I can't help you with the bubbles, but I used the same product as advised. It is still soft and tacky after 3 weeks. Everything is sticking to it.

Comment

That is very interesting with the small concave bubbles like that. Do you think it would be worth while putting a test together, where you put the same sealant on some scrap material, like cardboard or plywood, and let it dry for a few days in a cooler environment? That may help show if it was the heat. Just a thought.... The sealant still being rubbery doesn't surprise me though. The sealant is supposed to stay soft and pliable, otherwise it will crack and start to leak.

In the rare off chance you don't get any response here, maybe consider contacting Alpha with your pictures and ask them (https://alphallc.us/contact/). If you do hear from Alpha, be sure to let us know what they say.
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Looks like to me that is an old batch perhaps beyond the shelf life or, could have been frozen in the tube sometime in its life. Just speculation.
        Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Two thoughts - first, I'm guessing the Alpha product stays tacky for a while. Our brand new trailer came decorated with many leaves stuck in the roof sealant. 😁.

Second, I found Alpha Systems customer support to be very helpful the time I called. The rep even had me text pictures while we were talking and she reviewed them during our call. I'd go direct to the source.
          Mike and Rebecca
          2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
          2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

I contacted Alpha Systems and was very disappointed with the service provided by Brenda Vera there. I told them the entire story and sent pictures. After talking to the tech's , the agent said they couldn't think of any reason for that to happen unless the product was old or defective. So she sent a claim to Warranty to send me a replacement bottle. This is already not great considering I have to spend another few hours in 100 degree heat redoing things. But what are you gonna do, and atleast they were taking some responsibility and sending me a replacement. I get a call back later on saying that warranty replied and denied the replacement because I didn't follow their directions of only using soap/water and I used acetone to clean things before application.

She didn't care. Just stuck by what the warranty department said and blamed the customer. Felt like dealing with the scammy aftermarket warranty companies rather than a company that cares to keep customers happy. I own businesses, so I know how it goes. If you actually care about your customers, you fix these issues and not just deny. It's the cost of doing business and would add basically nothing to the product cost when amortized over all purchases. For me, the customer, it's not the $10, it's the principle.

I know the acetone didn't cause this, not only because alot of forum members have used it, but because I ran out of this bottle and used a new bottle of lap sealant that I got from somewhere else the same day I posted on this forum. I used the same process (acetone) and this new layer from a different bottle is not showing any of these bubbling issues.
            Last edited by timelinex; 06-28-2022, 02:02 PM.
            2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

I have personally used Dicor with better results than the Alpha systems sealant and will use it from now on. I believe I have an email from a GD rep saying it is ok to do so. Have to see if I can find it. Best of luck to you.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                I have personally used Dicor with better results than the Alpha systems sealant and will use it from now on. I believe I have an email from a GD rep saying it is ok to do so. Have to see if I can find it. Best of luck to you.
                Thanks. I may just do that next time. It was a big PIA trying to find this stuff without paying more for shipping than the actual product cost. I may now see part of the reason no one carries it....
                2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Working...
                X