Entry door - Screen door issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry door - Screen door issue

Starting to get frustrated with my screen door. When you open the main door, the screen door is staying latched. I have tried multiple times tightening the screws that hold the latch to the main door...but I don't think they can be tightened any more...just no grab to them. Surely others have had this issue.

Typically I would use a longer or larger screw and replace, but not sure that is possible or a good idea on a camper. I am not sure what the best solution would be. Have been tempted to remove the screws and latch and fill the hole with something, maybe super glue, let dry and then try to screw into the same hole.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

One of my arch nemesis, that silly latch. I never understood how something so simple causes so much grief . My only working solution to date is to use a bigger screw that was the same length, and put a 3M command adhesive on the mating surface. Good luck, and let me know if you find another solution. I might need it in the future
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

bellis I did similar to Stephen. I adjusted the catch fetcher l vertically to work properly but then found I could not get the screws to tighten and it would slide back down. So I put some industrial double sided tape on it, set it as high as I could and drive the screws back in. They sucked some of the tape into the holes and between that and tape itself they've held since.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Good thoughts....I will have to see what I can come up with. I am concerned with my superglue thought above or any filler really....I am not sure that it would work well or be lasting.

More to come and thanks for the replies....no to go search for Square #2 screws....these aren't as easy to find sometimes.
        2020 Imagine 2400BH
        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
          Starting to get frustrated with my screen door. When you open the main door, the screen door is staying latched. I have tried multiple times tightening the screws that hold the latch to the main door...but I don't think they can be tightened any more...just no grab to them. Surely others have had this issue.

Typically I would use a longer or larger screw and replace, but not sure that is possible or a good idea on a camper. I am not sure what the best solution would be. Have been tempted to remove the screws and latch and fill the hole with something, maybe super glue, let dry and then try to screw into the same hole.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
          My favorite fix for holes that have stripped out is (usually in wood) where you don't want to go bigger screw is to fill the hole with wood glue and cram it full of wood strips, I usually use wooden toothpicks, make sure you break them or cut them so they are flush with the surface. Once the glue dries it's like screwing into new wood. also toothpicks are made from harder wood than you what your working with so the screws hold better. The screws will press out on the toothpicks acting like an anchor. ( this will only work if screwing into the door not the aluminum screen door)
          Ray
          Last edited by Ray&KatinCR; 07-09-2022, 01:31 PM.
          2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/Cummins 6.7L Diesel
          2022 GD Reflection 150 series 260RD
          https://gdrvowners.com/core/images/smilies//waving.gif

Comment

Good thoughts....I will have to see what I can come up with. I am concerned with my superglue thought above or any filler really....I am not sure that it would work well or be lasting.

More to come and thanks for the replies....no to go search for Square #2 screws....these aren't as easy to find sometimes.
            If you do try a filler, just double check that it is compatible with the foam core of the door and won't melt it.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

If you do try a filler, just double check that it is compatible with the foam core of the door and won't melt it.
              Would toothpicks and wood glue melt the foam core?
              2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

The glue might--the foam core in our laminated GD trailers (not the Transcend, obviously) is highly reactive to some chemicals (ask Yoda !). Google the topic and you'll be reading (or watching videos) for the rest of the day.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Not sure why I am admitting this, I guess for everyone else's knowledge I am.....yeah, let's go with that , but on my first attempt at fixing the door latch I did try and fill the screw holes with JB weld plastic putty epoxy. Spoiler alert, it didn't work, but I was reading their website FAQs after and it said all of their products should not come in contact with foam. To be fair the packaging doesn't say anything about not allowing contact with foam... In the end though, I wasn't able to properly fill the holes with the putty and the screws easily chewed through what putty I could get in there without holding. Fortunately it didn't seem to do any damage, that I can tell anyways, but I certainly won't do it again. Like howson says, tread lightly with the doors...

​​​​​​​This is why I ended up using a combination of larger screws and adhesive, versus filling the existing. To be honest, I think the adhesive was the key to the solution, as it would help distribute the pressure over a larger area, allowing for more hold
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Not sure why I am admitting this, I guess for everyone else's knowledge I am.....yeah, let's go with that , but on my first attempt at fixing the door latch I did try and fill the screw holes with JB weld plastic putty epoxy. Spoiler alert, it didn't work, but I was reading their website FAQs after and it said all of their products should not come in contact with foam. To be fair the packaging doesn't say anything about not allowing contact with foam... In the end though, I wasn't able to properly fill the holes with the putty and the screws easily chewed through what putty I could get in there without holding. Fortunately it didn't seem to do any damage, that I can tell anyways, but I certainly won't do it again. Like howson says, tread lightly with the doors...

This is why I ended up using a combination of larger screws and adhesive, versus filling the existing. To be honest, I think the adhesive was the key to the solution, as it would help distribute the pressure over a larger area, allowing for more hold
                    I very much appreciate your posting that. I will look carefully at the wood glue before thinking of filling. Tempted to do all the above....toothpicks, wood glue, and 3M tape...
                    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

I put extra screws, not through the latch, but just outboard of it, such that the screw heads prevent the latch from moving outward (outward meaning away from the hinge side of the door). I don't have a picture to post, but will when we get our trailer back from slide repairs...
                      Ottertail, Minnesota
                      2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                      2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post
                        I put extra screws, not through the latch, but just outboard of it, such that the screw heads prevent the latch from moving outward (outward meaning away from the hinge side of the door). I don't have a picture to post, but will when we get our trailer back from slide repairs...
                        That's a good thought. I may add that to my list.

This Saturday I tried to fill it some with JBWeld epoxy putty...from what I read an epoxy would be a good surface for the poly foam of azdel...maybe. I also tried to stick small pieces of toothpick in there. Unfortunately, used the same screws...but hoping it gives a better result forever or for a while at least.
                        2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

That's a good thought. I may add that to my list.

This Saturday I tried to fill it some with JBWeld epoxy putty...from what I read an epoxy would be a good surface for the poly foam of azdel...maybe. I also tried to stick small pieces of toothpick in there. Unfortunately, used the same screws...but hoping it gives a better result forever or for a while at least.
                          Good news - was at the camper tonight and did not notice anything...so it looks to be holding well. Will report back in a week to see if it held up under more use.
                          2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Hi,
                            I'm worried about this swinging screen door for more reasons now! Since i am changing my GD XLS 22MLE Door Window to a "Lippert Thin Shade" I also wanted a retracting screen door, like a Lance RV, has anyone had experience with the plissescreen.com retracting screen door? Or can recommend such a retractable screen door?

Cheers, Eric

Comment

Good news - was at the camper tonight and did not notice anything...so it looks to be holding well. Will report back in a week to see if it held up under more use.
                              I forgot to report in a week later! Although, almost a year later and it seems to be holding. I question whether it is an issue sometimes, but so far it does not seem to be.
                              2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X