Roof Vent Cap Not Sealed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Vent Cap Not Sealed?

Besides understanding their basic purpose this is new to me. What do you think, is this a potential problem?

With permission from the OP (Kerrie Stark) who posted on the Grand Design Reflection Page on Facebook:

I decided to upgrade my roof waste vent caps to the 360 Siphon caps. During the process, I found that, (1) the one vent pipe was cut off too short, (2) it was misaligned inside the base so the pipe did not line up with the hole, and (3) the worst part is that around the base of the pipe itself there was no lap sealant. In my opinion, in the event of water entering under the vent cap, it would have a clear path down along the pipe and into the roof and ceiling. Im wondering how many RV owners had "mystery" roof leaks and could not determine where the water was coming from, and this is the culprit area. Ive watched several videos of owners upgrading their vent caps and in every one it can clearly be seen that there should be caulking around the vent pipe itself. Would it be difficult for water to get inside the roof vent?........probably, but in the "perfect storm" arena I could see how it could occur.

I removed both vent caps so I could rectify this problem. Both of mine had no caulking around the pipe. In my opinion in certain storms and possibly while traveling in heavy rains, I could see where water could make its way up, under, and into the vent itself. Obviously with the pipe cut to proper length, and properly seated around the hole of the base, it would be hard for too much water to enter. But with a short pipe and no sealant, any water that enters will clearly do damage and make things wet.

My advice is when you have some free time, atleast pop off your vent caps and check on how yours is installed. In my case I had to remove the lap sealant so the base could be removed, allowing me access to properly caulk around both pipes. This also allows me to reinstall the vent base and re-position it so the pipe actually lines up properly to the base's opening.

Most of the OP's original pics (one was redundant IMHO):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent pics.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	9042
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Besides understanding their basic purpose this is new to me. What do you think, is this a potential problem?

With permission from the OP (Kerrie Stark) who posted on the Grand Design Reflection Page on Facebook:

I decided to upgrade my roof waste vent caps to the 360 Siphon caps. During the process, I found that, (1) the one vent pipe was cut off too short, (2) it was misaligned inside the base so the pipe did not line up with the hole, and (3) the worst part is that around the base of the pipe itself there was no lap sealant. In my opinion, in the event of water entering under the vent cap, it would have a clear path down along the pipe and into the roof and ceiling. Im wondering how many RV owners had "mystery" roof leaks and could not determine where the water was coming from, and this is the culprit area. Ive watched several videos of owners upgrading their vent caps and in every one it can clearly be seen that there should be caulking around the vent pipe itself. Would it be difficult for water to get inside the roof vent?........probably, but in the "perfect storm" arena I could see how it could occur.

I removed both vent caps so I could rectify this problem. Both of mine had no caulking around the pipe. In my opinion in certain storms and possibly while traveling in heavy rains, I could see where water could make its way up, under, and into the vent itself. Obviously with the pipe cut to proper length, and properly seated around the hole of the base, it would be hard for too much water to enter. But with a short pipe and no sealant, any water that enters will clearly do damage and make things wet.

My advice is when you have some free time, atleast pop off your vent caps and check on how yours is installed. In my case I had to remove the lap sealant so the base could be removed, allowing me access to properly caulk around both pipes. This also allows me to reinstall the vent base and re-position it so the pipe actually lines up properly to the base's opening.

Most of the OP's original pics (one was redundant IMHO):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent pics.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	9042
    Howard I don't think this is a problem where water can get in. The vent cap is much wider than the base and comes down at least 1" from the top of the base. I don't see how water from rain could get in even if the rain was horizontal. I think the only thing sealing the pipe helps with is if the seal from the base to the roof of the vent cap leaks.

JMHO
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Howard I don't think this is a problem where water can get in. The vent cap is much wider than the base and comes down at least 1" from the top of the base. I don't see how water from rain could get in even if the rain was horizontal. I think the only thing sealing the pipe helps with is if the seal from the base to the roof of the vent cap leaks.

JMHO
      Rob
      Thanks, Rob. I honestly didn't know what to think when I saw the Facebook post as I have no experience with this issue. Just because it's not sealed doesn't mean it should be. I

I'm hoping colan chimes in on this topic as I'm sure he works on a wide range of RVs and has likely "seen it all". If the lack of caulking on these vents can cause a leak, I bet he'll have a story to tell.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
      X