Height of RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height of RV

Does grand design measure the RV from the heights point? I assume they include the A/C unit, ladder rails etc...just ranting to confirm. Thanks
    2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R

A bit of caution on using the brochure number as the true height of your trailer (particularly if it is a 5th wheel). If the front AC is optional, its height will not be included in the spec height. Also, hitched to the truck can change overall height by several inches. Best to measure you rig, hitched up and ready to tow . . . to know actual height.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I recommend confirming the height measurement with your rig attached to your tow vehicle. The listed height of our 2018 Momentum 395M is 13'6". Hooked to our 2018 Ram 3500 dually the measured height was 13'10".

John
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple of 14 foot bridges on my upcoming route. What to make sure I am not going to skin my roof. I have not added anything to my rig all standard equipment. Thanks again
        2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

I carry one of these https://www.truckntow.com/original-q...oogle_shopping They go on sale several times a year and can be found other places.

Found I was 4 inches higher hooked up than the GD web site had. Also good for checking things in the campground, etc
          Last edited by Yoda; 12-14-2019, 01:15 PM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            I carry one of these https://www.truckntow.com/original-q...oogle_shopping They go on sale several times a year and can be found other places.

Found I was 4 inches higher hooked up that the GD web site had. Also good for checking things in the campground, etc
            I've considered one of these, Keith. The reason is exactly what you stated--testing obstacles at a prospect campsite. Once the height of the camper is known, recreating that height with the height-measuring-stick is easy which then can be passed under the questionable object. It the stick hits the obstacle (usually a tree branch), so will the camper.

Thanks for the link.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              Saw an interesting version of this at a campground one time . . . At check-in, the owner pulls two lengths of plastic pipe out of a lengthwise storage tube on the underside of his trailer. One is the crosspiece and one it the upright. These fit to the hitch receiver on the front of his truck and form a "T" the height and width of his trailer. Off he goes with clear indication of whether he will clear every wire and tree branch along the way.

Rob
              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-13-2019, 06:08 PM.
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                I recommend confirming the height measurement with your rig attached to your tow vehicle. The listed height of our 2018 Momentum 395M is 13'6". Hooked to our 2018 Ram 3500 dually the measured height was 13'10".

John
                Wow, you would be over legal height in a lot of states.

Here is a good resource for dimensions in states....

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/
                Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV in Shoemakersville, PA

2020 Reflectiopn 260RD owner towed by a 2011 RAM 3500 with Cummins power.

Comment

Thanks, huntr70, I think. At an overall length of 60' and a trailer length of 44' we are over on more than height in several states. Appreciate you giving me something else to worry about.

We do know that we are long and tall and tend to stay on the interstate system for the bulk of our traveling which has mostly been in the west and northwest. We will be heading to the south and east and will have to do more research into some of the states we will be entering.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I've considered one of these, Keith. The reason is exactly what you stated--testing o**tacles at a prospect campsite. Once the height of the camper is known, recreating that height with the height-measuring-stick is easy which then can be passed under the questionable object. It the stick hits the o**tacle (usually a tree branch), so will the camper.

Thanks for the link.
                    So without the (really pricey) height-measuring-stick, what's the recommended procedure to get your actual height. I thought I'd climb up on top with a 2x4 12 foot board and lay it horizontally across the highest point AC. Then I'd have Renee get on a step-ladder with another 2x4 that she would drop to the ground vertically and mark the intersection on her board with the bottom of my board. Then I'd measure from the end of her board to the mark. . .

Anyone have a better (simpler) idea?

-Steve
                    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                    Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Anyone have a better (simpler) idea?

-Steve
                      H Steve,

If you happen to have access to a laser level (common for a lot of construction projects), set this on the highest point of the trailer. Then run your tape measure down the side of the RV until it touches the ground. Where the red laser line crosses your tape measure is the exact height of your trailer.

Attached is a picture of the Dewalt Laser Level that I use.

Rob
                      Attached Files
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Attached is a picture of the Dewalt Laser Level that I use.

Rob
                        Cool. *Only* $137.99 on Amazon.

Hmm. Should I go with Yoda 's measuring stick or your Laser Level? Or should I stick with my method. Maybe I should let Renee decide, since she's probably got the most to lose.

-Steve
                        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                        Somerset, WI

Comment

steve&renee

I like your "2 board" method. All you are after is the height of the rig so once you do it you should be good until you change something. Just make sure your horizontal board is straight , I have a few new boards for building my garage that I could nail together and float down the crick.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Cool. *Only* $137.99 on Amazon.

Hmm. Should I go with Yoda 's measuring stick or your Laser Level? Or should I stick with my method. Maybe I should let Renee decide, since she's probably got the most to lose.

-Steve
                            I will admit that I already had the laser level . . . used on many previous projects . Not sure that I could justify its purchase for this one simple measurement. Maybe you could borrow one?

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I will admit that I already had the laser level . . . used on many previous projects . Not sure that I could justify its purchase for this one simple measurement. Maybe you could borrow one?

Rob
                              ! used self leveling lasers for years in construction. I picked up a Stanley from Amazon several years back for $54. Best invention since the pocket on a tee shirt! Steve, you'll find lots of things to use it for
                              2020 Reflection 315RLTS 2016 Silverado 2500HD
                              "Use your head for something besides a hat rack"......my Dad.

Comment

Working...
                              X