New 2022 2500RL Membrane Coming Off in Many Spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2022 2500RL Membrane Coming Off in Many Spots

HI, looking to purchase a new 2500RL today after lots of looking at YouTubes of tours and owners loving them. And we want one.

So, we looked at one at a dealer, a new 2022 that was reduced and in our price range. We realize there are some kind of chincy qualities but there are some really good things we want.

Problem - the roof membrane along both sides (front to back) next to the aluminum fastener was bubbled all the way from front to back, and it was bubbled at each thing on top. The TV antenna, all 3 vents and the air cond all had long loose areas, like a snake was under there. Wish I took a pic. I am talking to the sales guy shortly and maybe he will send me a pic.

We've had a motorhome and two trailers and did not have even a leak, much less loose membrane anywhere on top. Washed these regularly and added Dicor to any suspect areas.

When traveling I have seen the balloon on top of trailers and thought this would be a nightmare and wondered if the owner even knew it was inflated all the way across the trailer.

I can fix the molding coming off and any other DIY stuff that comes up, but I don't want to mess with membrane.

Is this a deal breaker? Thanks in advance - John
    New 2500RL, F250 Super Duty Platinum Diesel

Our Reflection had some places just like you describe when new, they flattened out the first year with no issues. The key points to look at is the front transition from the cap to the roof, make sure that this area is well sealed and no present issues, same with the rear. It is a good idea to check the whole RV over and buy when you are satisfied, do not allow us to make that decision for you after all we can not see what you are looking at and you have to live with the purchase. You are also lucky that the dealer allowed you to inspect the roof, plenty of dealers will not allow you on the roof on their property for liability reasons.

Welcome to the Forum, have a read of our Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian, that is pretty comforting information. The sales guy/person got back to me after talking to service. I got a couple of pictures posted.

Service said a small amount of lifting is OK and will work out in time. But, service said the unit I looked today at has way to much lifting.

I was allowed to go up and look, and I will look at the second rig tomorrow. I noticed lots of work boot tracks up there when I climbed up to look so maybe they were aware of this issue?

Thanks.
      New 2500RL, F250 Super Duty Platinum Diesel

Comment

I was told by manufacture th Click image for larger version

Name:	3 (1).JPG
Views:	256
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	93800 Click image for larger version

Name:	3 (2).JPG
Views:	254
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	93801 Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	93802 at winkles are normal where the plywood seem are to allow for movement

Comment

Working...
        X