Slide Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Seal Replacement

We have a 2019 Grand Design 29RS We have developed a tear in the upper portion of our Slide Seal on the larger living room slide. We ordered and received a replacement seal from our local dealer which is different from the factory seals on the RV. I have attached 2 photos of the replacement which I believe could work but there seems to be an additional inter-layer of rubber seal that appears to be attached to the original but does not come with the replacement I have. I have also attached a photo of the tear in the seal itself(with the D-seal removed). Can anyone please steer me in the right direction and tell me what replacement slide seal I need to replace the torn seal? Or perhaps give me any suggestions how I could use the replacement seal I already have.

Thank You...

T Baker

You may be seeing the inner flap seal (the one attached to the inner wall). Have you pulled back the seal to see where the second flap may be attached?
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by T Alan B View Post
      We have a 2019 Grand Design 29RS We have developed a tear in the upper portion of our Slide Seal on the larger living room slide. We ordered and received a replacement seal from our local dealer which is different from the factory seals on the RV. I have attached 2 photos of the replacement which I believe could work but there seems to be an additional inter-layer of rubber seal that appears to be attached to the original but does not come with the replacement I have. I have also attached a photo of the tear in the seal itself(with the D-seal removed). Can anyone please steer me in the right direction and tell me what replacement slide seal I need to replace the torn seal? Or perhaps give me any suggestions how I could use the replacement seal I already have.

Thank You...

T Baker
      Also have you determined what caused the tear? Looks like something snagged it.
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I'm not sure how it originally got torn. I can't seem to find a cause. The inter seal appears to be connected to the main outer seal and if you reach in-between the 2 seals you will find a screw about every 18 inches that is screwed in to the side wall of the RV wall. Seems like it would be very difficult to remove them and even move difficult to reattach. I have considered getting a razor between the 2 seals to remove the outer seam in order to replace it with the new one I have. It just seems like I'm missing something...

Comment

Now that you describe it, this appears to be the seal yo need. https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/28759 The one they sent may be a repair type. In that was eit looks like you need to cut the old seal along the outside face of the unit, then stick the new one to the face.

Continued to look, this appears to be the whole assembly: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/22008
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by T Alan B View Post
            T Baker
            Unfortunately I suspect you have the same seal that's on my '19 315RLTS. As I learned, the wiper seal is an assembly that screws into the side of the camper on the interior which is inaccessible with the slide installed. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...=2794#post2794

The new seal GD is using attaches to the outside of the wall (both on the interior wall and exterior wall). It's easy to tell the difference between the two seals--if the bulb seal will slide off a track (and is easy to replace) it's the old seal. If the bulb seal integral to the seal assembly it's a new seal.

From the other thread (this is the old seal assembly):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal.JPG
Views:	1597
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	94023
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks everyone. I do have a slide seal that in order to replace would require I remove the slide to re-install. I'm not interested in doing that and I have an Idea how to repair it and leave the slide in place. I'll keep you posted on my progress...

Comment

Did you ever get your slide seal replaced? I have a 2018 Reflection 303 with the same issue.

Regards,
                TG

Comment

Originally posted by tgordon View Post
                  Did you ever get your slide seal replaced? I have a 2018 Reflection 303 with the same issue.

Regards,
                  TG
                  Stay tuned -- Jkwilson has some info he'll be sharing soon in the other thread where you posted about this same issue.

Update -- already posted! See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...765#post100765
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Slide seal Update... I did replace the slide seal by using a different, (Outer slide only) replacement. I used the adhesive strip that came with the seal and also added a self taping screw into the sidewall about every 10 inches or so. The screws were 1/2 inch and had a large attached washer. I had to cut the top of the new seal to match the top corner of the slide. I haven't tested the repair very much at this point but will be heading south soon and will have a chance to put it through its paces...

Comment

T Alan B

How was the project? I need to replace the same seal. Where did you get the new seal?

How did you remove the old seal? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks,

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hey Brian,

I got the slide seal from the dealer a while ago and replaced it when it started to tear more. I order to completely remove the old seal, I would have to take the slide out and replace the entire slide system on that side. I contacted GD and gave them my VIN but they weren't able to tell me specifically what slide I had. They sent me a couple of part numbers and I identified it as one that fits on both sides of the slide and is screwed into the opening of the slide. I wasn't interested in removing the slide so I found a way to utilize the one I had which is designed as the outer seal with the "D" seal built in. I trimmed away the outer flat of the old seal, removed the old "D" seal and attached the new slide with the adhesive strip that came with it. I then used small self tapping screws with a built in washer under the built in "d" seal about every 8 inches. I think it will work. We're leaving for Florida today so this will be the test how good the repair is. I've attached a picture of the slide material I used. I'm not sure why GD used the all in one seal design. I don't think anyone wants to remove their slide for a simple seal replacement.
                        Attached Files

Comment

T Alan B -- thanks for the post. Country Campers and I have been discussing the possibility of doing what you've done, so encouraging to see someone else has accomplished the replacement. Please post a followup (either good or bad) after you've used the new seal for a bit.

Howard

Comment

T Alan B

I should also mention that I did find that the slide box on my RV was close at the top rear which I think is what caused the tearing of the wiper seal, same place as yours. You might want to check this to see how much room is between the slide box and the seal, I could not get my fingers in between the box and the wall cutout. I did move the slide box forward some to get more room, thru frame slide out.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                            X