Awning won't fully retract at rear when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning won't fully retract at rear when hot

It's been hot here in AZ since we got back from our long cross country trip. We have been using our awning a lot to shade the area next to the RV as we unload/clean, whatever. I noticed this prior to my trip too but it's super evident now that it's certainly heat related.

The heat seems to expand the awning "barrel" to the point that it's too long for the channel mounts. When camping somewhere it's 75F or cooler, the awning will roll up perfectly. Camping in a hot blazing sun, the back end hangs up/binds.

I tried checking to see if there's a way to set the depth of the "barrel shaft" into the awning arms, but I'm not finding much luck.

Any ideas?
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Sierra Denali 1500

It may also be possible that the fabric is misaligned or "stretching" in the heat causing this issue.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by uwskier View Post
      It's been hot here in AZ since we got back from our long cross country trip. We have been using our awning a lot to shade the area next to the RV as we unload/clean, whatever. I noticed this prior to my trip too but it's super evident now that it's certainly heat related.

The heat seems to expand the awning "barrel" to the point that it's too long for the channel mounts. When camping somewhere it's 75F or cooler, the awning will roll up perfectly. Camping in a hot blazing sun, the back end hangs up/binds.

I tried checking to see if there's a way to set the depth of the "barrel shaft" into the awning arms, but I'm not finding much luck.

Any ideas?
      Double check the back channels that are attached to the trailer for bowing. That issue caused mine to hang up. I posted a thread on the repair. Post a few pictures of the existing situation.
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Front tucks up good and tight. Back hangs up, but only when it's hot. And yes, those scratches on the front decals suck. I did that on some tree branches I thought I'd cleared at a gas station in Oklahoma. :(
        Attached Files
        2022 Imagine 2600RB
        2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Just spit balling here:

When the awning is extended, are both ends of the roller the same distance from the trailer?

Have you checked to see if the back support arm is racked and/or bent?

Same for the bracket mounted to the trailer?

I'm not questioning your observation, it's just that if this is a thermal expansion problem, I would expect the awning fabric or roller or arms or brackets to expand more uniformly than on just one end. The exception would be if there was something shading part of the awning, like an adjacent tree or building.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Awning does extend evenly on both arms, though when it's retracted, it does seem to spool somewhat unevenly. The fabric seems to inch towards the front arm as it rolls up.

I can get it to close up if I help it out by pushing the rear arm forward as it closes up. I don't see anything bent or kinked.

Just odd that it worked great for a month in 75ish max temps and the day we get back here to the surface of the sun, it starts hanging up again.
            2022 Imagine 2600RB
            2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

The fabric inching forward on retracting is either the seam not riding evenly on top of itself, or the awning fabric is not square. Think of it as rolling up a rug on sleeping pad, seems like they never roll up even because one end gets ahead of the other. If there is no problems with the arms or the roller itself, I'm thinking the fabric managed to stretch unevenly or slipped in the track.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Front tucks up good and tight. Back hangs up, but only when it's hot. And yes, those scratches on the front decals suck. I did that on some tree branches I thought I'd cleared at a gas station in Oklahoma. :(
                I think you have your answer. The frame has tweaked slightly from your tree branch impact. It does not take much. Closely inspect the outer channel for any deformations or binding/bends and where it is occurring. If you cant tell get a yellow crayon and rub it on the inside edges of the outer channel and run it closed. It should leave a mark where it is binding up. Chalk will work too.

These units don't like being out of adjustment at all. A slight racking will cause the issue you have. If you find any pinch points, carefully expand the outer channel or compress the inner depending on which is out of alignment. I would use one of those trigger clamps that can expand, but if you have strong hands that should work too, I used a block of wood and door shims to wedge my outer channel slightly more open.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I think you have your answer. The frame has tweaked slightly from your tree branch impact. It does not take much. Closely inspect the outer channel for any deformations or binding/bends and where it is occurring. If you cant tell get a yellow crayon and rub it on the inside edges of the outer channel and run it closed. It should leave a mark where it is binding up. Chalk will work too.

These units don't like being out of adjustment at all. A slight racking will cause the issue you have. If you find any pinch points, carefully expand the outer channel or compress the inner depending on which is out of alignment. I would use one of those trigger clamps that can expand, but if you have strong hands that should work too, I used a block of wood and door shims to wedge my outer channel slightly more open.

Keith
                  I should have mentioned, this problem pre-dates the branches. Apologies for the lack of clarity there.
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB
                  2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

I should have mentioned, this problem pre-dates the branches. Apologies for the lack of clarity there.
                    God information
                    My point is there is interference in the closing. You have a bent/warped channel somewhere that prevents things cumming together. Extend everything and use a good straight edge along all the arms and back channel. Inspect the joints and pins. Make sure the locking collars on the pins are fully seated. Are all the backing brace screws fully seated? Otherwise invite a bunch of friends over, do BBQ and have everyone watch closely. Somewhere there is a bow , dimple, or bulge that causes the channels not to line up correctly.

Is there a way for you to post a video of the situation?

Trying to help
                    Keith

Comment

RV is sleeping under its cover until our next outing, which is TBD date but I'll grab a video next time and post it up. Of course, by then it'll probably be reasonable temps here in AZ... Thanks for the assist!
                      2022 Imagine 2600RB
                      2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Working...
                      X