Adding a rear carryall Class 2 hitch mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a rear carryall Class 2 hitch mount

Where to purchase? Can the dealer I bought my 31RLS from install it.

Sarge,
    Welcome to the forum.

In general it is not a good idea to add a component to the frame of your camper while under warranty. Grand Design and Lippert are both outstanding to work with if a problem develops, but if the issue is traced back to something that was added (a "customer modification") it could cause an problem with a warranty claim.

Howard

P.S. I advise staying away from attaching anything to that "bumper", too, on your 31RLS unless Grand Design specifically states what you're planning on attaching is OK. GD Customer Service is your source of information for this topic: 574-825-9679

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I am looking at buying a 2019 312 BHS. One concern I have is the rear receiver is limited at 3,000 and 300 lbs tongue weight, what is the limiting part? If I change the receiver out will the substructure support me towing a real boat that weights 5,000 lbs? My tow vehicle is a 3500 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax Diesel using a Hensley Arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtis Schaaf View Post
        I am looking at buying a 2019 312 BHS. One concern I have is the rear receiver is limited at 3,000 and 300 lbs tongue weight, what is the limiting part? If I change the receiver out will the substructure support me towing a real boat that weights 5,000 lbs? My tow vehicle is a 3500 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax Diesel using a Hensley Arrow.
        The 312BHS is very similar to my 315RLTS. In the picture below I've masked out a mod I did that ended up very badly so I don't want a picture of it (again) online. But the picture does show a good shot of the receiver assembly.

I'm not an engineer, but I'd surmise the limiting factor is the frame of the RV itself (that the receiver is bolted to). There are many more qualified individuals here who can confirm or correct that statement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	9841
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Carry-alls on the back of towable RVs are extremely risky due to the G-forces back there - and I wouldn't consider anything less than a Class III setup. From a physics point of view, it's nothing but a lever with a lot of weight on the outer end. Yesterday on the way back to the park from shopping, we passed an SUV pulled over on the side of I-10 with a state trooper behind it. The carry-all on the back of the SUV (loaded with a cooler and other stuff), had broken the mounting bar that inserts in the hitch receiver and the carry-all had dragged down the road until the driver could get the SUV off on the shoulder. Fortunately, he did it quickly enough that the carry-all didn't become completely detached and cause an accident with other vehicles.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Hello. I have a 2014 st379fl and am looking for info on adding a Overbuilt electric bike lift to rear of it. Does anyone have any info or experience with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdy1968 View Post
              Hello. I have a 2014 st379fl and am looking for info on adding a Overbuilt electric bike lift to rear of it. Does anyone have any info or experience with this?
              Hi Cdy1968--welcome to the forum. As stated in the thread, adding a hitch that didn't come as OEM from the manufacturer is a risky endeavor.

Here's a recent response from a GD representative to a very similar question that you might find interesting: https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...1961#post11961

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I'm not looking to add a hitch, already have one on back of rv that came from factory. I am looking for info on how much weight I can carry without worrying about stressing frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdy1968 View Post
                  Thanks for the reply but I'm not looking to add a hitch, already have one on back of rv that came from factory. I am looking for info on how much weight I can carry without worrying about stressing frame.
                  Doh! Sorry 'bout that. We've had so many questions lately about adding a hitch I assumed that was your question, too.

I'm not knowledgeable of every configuration created by Grand Design, but old videos online show a bumper on the rear of the 2014 379FL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uvsu_-tu8 Can you post a picture of your setup here?

To directly answer your question, a (recently) installed factory hitch on the back of GD trailers is typically rated to carry 300lbs. Let me quickly add, however, that anything attached should be rated for the stresses it will endure "at the end of the whip". For example, bike racks are specifically rated as acceptable for use on an RV. If one is not specifically designed by the manufacturer for an RV, I'd be very, very cautious about using it for the purpose you have in mind.

Comment

Working...
                  X