350G Roof Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350G Roof Ladder

Brand new, 3 months old and the screws to the roof ladder are pulling out. Need a fix without bringing in to the shop and waiting a year. Weight limit says up to 300lbs and I’m not 300lbs. GD says they recommend bringing it in. Any help appreciated.
    2022 Momentum 350G
    2022 GMC Drw 4x4 Denali B&W Companion

I would go up one or 2 sizes ins screw and add some clear silicone to the holes to prevent water intrusion.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by CUBERA67 View Post
      Brand new, 3 months old and the screws to the roof ladder are pulling out. Need a fix without bringing in to the shop and waiting a year. Weight limit says up to 300lbs and I’m not 300lbs. GD says they recommend bringing it in. Any help appreciated.
      Your other option is to remove and install plusnuts or rivet nuts, They expand like a rivet does only bigger and have threads inside to take a screw or bolt. I have used them on my awning and they are holding.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The backing for the ladder screws is a very thin sheet of electro galvanized sheet metal. Called EGS in the factory. If the original screws were inserted or retightened with too much torque, they EGS will strip out and the same size screws will not work. I would follow Brian's suggestion of going up one screw size in diameter. When the screw bottoms out, just snug it up without over-torqueing it.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Since many screws are stripped when these rigs are assembled, the larger screw option would work along with GE 100% silicone. I struggle with the plusnut option since they protrude slightly from the surface and create a gap between the ladder and the wall. This would require careful sealing to avoid water intrusion.
          Were any items transported on the ladder? The only reason I ask is that I've seen bicycles, kayaks, black tank totes and even a small boat on one rig that was tied to a ladder. The ladder will not sustain the constant vibration from items being transported there.

Jim

Comment

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Going to size up on the screws and go with the silicone option. No, nothing was transported on the ladder since I have taken delivery.
            2022 Momentum 350G
            2022 GMC Drw 4x4 Denali B&W Companion

Comment

Working...
            X