Roof concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof concern

We bought a brand new 2019 Solitude in April and in July we had our first leak. We have brought it back to were we bought it and they put it in the "rain bay" and have found 3 leaks but dont know where they are coming from. They have contacted Grand Design and they wont pay to have the roof replaced. They want to reseal all the components and put it back in to see if it leaks. My concern is what else is getting wet in the ceiling and wall??? Has anyone else had this problem? What would you do?

Originally posted by Henny Auto View Post
    We bought a brand new 2019 Solitude in April and in July we had our first leak. We have brought it back to were we bought it and they put it in the "rain bay" and have found 3 leaks but dont know where they are coming from. They have contacted Grand Design and they wont pay to have the roof replaced. They want to reseal all the components and put it back in to see if it leaks. My concern is what else is getting wet in the ceiling and wall??? Has anyone else had this problem? What would you do?
    First, welcome to the forum and it is unfortunate to have this experience so soon into ownership.

Is there any proof the leaks are due to the TPO (the white rubber-like material that is your "roof") failure? That's highly unlikely unless the TPO was damaged by a foreign object. (I had a pine cone pierce a hole in my TPO.) I am not surprised a new roof was denied (if by "new roof" the dealership wanted to apply new TPO).

Sealant pealing and gaps in caulking on the roof around the edge trim, vents, air conditioners, etc., are a fact of life with an RV. Those gaps lead to water leaks. I found issues on my roof the day I bought the RV (and had them fixed before leaving the dealer's lot). After a recent slide seal repair at the GD factory I towed the trailer home to Florida and the new silicone caulking the technicians had applied on a slide-out had already separated from the gasket. I had to scrape it all off and reapply it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Almost everyone with an RV battles sealant issues.

So what do I do? Inspect, inspect, inspect. I expect sealant problems and head them off by finding, and fixing, often.

For the future (since I despise repetitive maintenance) I'm considering getting my roof sealed permanently. I haven't decided yet, but something like FlexArmor (rvroof.com).

If you can get the dealer to show you exactly where the water was penetrating, please follow-up and document them here so others can learn from your experience. (Thanks in advance!)

-Howard
    Last edited by howson; 12-21-2019, 11:27 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Henny Auto View Post
      Why would you replace the roof because of leaks?

First thing that needs to be done is figure out where it is leaking.

You need a dealer with a SealTech machine to put pressure inside and spray soapy water to find out where leaks are.
      Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV in Shoemakersville, PA

2020 Reflectiopn 260RD owner towed by a 2011 RAM 3500 with Cummins power.

Comment

I think Henny Auto is correct to be concerned about what else is getting wet in the ceiling and wall. While the first concern is identifying and stopping the leaks, there needs to be a second effort to remove or dry out any wet insulation and paneling to prevent mold or rot.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
          I think Henny Auto is correct to be concerned about what else is getting wet in the ceiling and wall. While the first concern is identifying and stopping the leaks, there needs to be a second effort to remove or dry out any wet insulation and paneling to prevent mold or rot.
          True, but you have to find what is leaking and where it is going first. He doesn't state that there is interior damage, or where the water is coming from, or if it is seen inside.

Too much unknown to fix through the internet....
          Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV in Shoemakersville, PA

2020 Reflectiopn 260RD owner towed by a 2011 RAM 3500 with Cummins power.

Comment

Leaks are a fact of life in RV’s. In the past I have used a water hose on a Small area at a time to locate leaks. One person on the outside with the hose and a side with paper towels looking for leak!

AND- always keep a roll of Dicor tape on hand! Does a great job of sealing/patching...
            Keith and Diane
            2014 Reflection 337 RLS
            2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Working...
            X