Adding new windows for 320G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding new windows for 320G

I noticed the newer 320G have windows on either side of the front bed. Is this something that can be added to a model that does not have them? The front bedroom gets incredibly stuffy because there is no cross breeze. Opening up the single large window and turning the bath fan on does nothing to get air into the bedroom.

I see two sizes listed for the '23 which are also listed for the '20. 12x16 (580700) and 15x22 (580704)
    Attached Files
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

You would have to contact GD and see if they will give you the wall prints for the bedroom slide box, explain what you want to do. I am not sure that the previous years would have the same structure for the windows. They of course will request that you not share the prints. The only other way would be to cut some holes in the inside wall material and see if you can make it work.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

This is a similar question to what was investigated when Grand Design added windows behind the galley and in the bedroom slide on the Reflection 303RLS. Earlier models do not have these and the wall framing is not configured to just “add” these windows. It could be done with considerable work to reinforce the perimeter of the windows. Makes sense when you think about it . . . the factory would coordinate framing changes to go with the addition of new windows.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I know you both mentioned slides, this would be on a wall, not a slide. I see the point about not having a header above the window though. I was thinking maybe a window that narrow could get away with it. Anyone in particular to contact?
        2020 GD 320G
        2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Ooops, sorry I thought the bed was in a slide. The same will apply for the windows on the walls. Anyone at Customer Service would be able to help, you could request that they contact the Momentum Line to get their input.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

When Grand Design puts a window in a wall or a slide, they closely frame where the opening will go with the aluminum structure of the wall. This provides a solid perimeter for attaching the window frame. If you were to cut a new hole in the wall, the window frame would have to be secured to the wall structure which is a thin inner and outer skin with rigid foam between. There are RV manufacturers who do this . . . so, it is possible. We have discussed carving out the foam between the skins around the perimeter of the opening and bonding in a perimeter frame of wood or aluminum. I have done this on a boat . . . but not on an RV. If the new opening requires cutting existing wall framing, that would add another complication for the structural integrity of the wall. I am not trying to talk you out of this idea . . . just providing the rationale as to why others have considered this and abandoned the idea.

if you contact Grand Design Customer Service with your trailer VIN, they will likely send you the wall framing drawings of the area you are considering.

We have a similar situation in our early model Reflection 303 which has a single window in the bedroom. We do not have a front AC and found that by replacing the factory fan in the roof vent with a wide opening top of the line MaxxAir reversible multi speed (very quiet) fan, we can get reasonable cross ventilation. Obviously, this is not an option if you have an AC unit in this opening.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I will give them a call Monday, no email address listed. I would assume it has to be framed out on the sides at a minimum. That window is wedged between a slide and where the front cap attaches. Above and below are cabinets so maybe I will get lucky and they have framing for the cabinets to attach to. We have a front AC so a Fan wouldn't work for us.
              2020 GD 320G
              2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

customerservice@granddesignrv.com

That is the email address, on the home page right hand side.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  customerservice@granddesignrv.com

That is the email address, on the home page right hand side.

Brian
                  My wife says I am blind. This confirms it.
                  2020 GD 320G
                  2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyB View Post

My wife says I am blind. This confirms it.
                    My wife says I am,,,,,,,, never mind.

I hope you get some good information.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I will give them a call Monday, no email address listed. I would assume it has to be framed out on the sides at a minimum. That window is wedged between a slide and where the front cap attaches. Above and below are cabinets so maybe I will get lucky and they have framing for the cabinets to attach to. We have a front AC so a Fan wouldn't work for us.
                      Please let me know what they tell you. I've considered the same thing for the 21G
                      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I know that Michael Da Breeze has successfully installed an additional window in his 2017 Reflection. I will reach out to him (by email) to see if he will join this discussion. He has not been on this forum for a while.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

GD sent me the wall plans. There is a ton of framing where that window is. I have to assume the majority of it is for the upper and lower cabinets. I requested the wall layout for model with the windows to compare.

This is a guesstimate of where the window would land. If not there, just below the stud.
                          Attached Files
                          2020 GD 320G
                          2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

GD sent me the wall plans. There is a ton of framing where that window is. I have to assume the majority of it is for the upper and lower cabinets. I requested the wall layout for model with the windows to compare.

This is a guesstimate of where the window would land. If not there, just below the stud.
                            By that drawing I would guess that you will not get a window in there. GD probably made quite a bit of changes to incorporate the windows into the new model, makes you want to go buy a new one huh.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

RoyB

Just to make sure that we are seeing the same thing . . . the crosshatched areas are not framing. They are thin sheet metal strips bonded to the back of the interior luan wall to retain the attachment screws for cabinets and similar.

BTW, Grand Design normally requires that their drawings not be posted on any public site. I realize that you are posting only part of the drawing, but did GD give you permission to do this?

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X