Clear sealant maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear sealant maintenance

Yesterday I noticed some separation at some of the corner trim and rubber seal at the slide on our 221RB. It appears to be clear silicone caulk. Can someone confirm and if so, will Geocel Pro Flex Crystal Clear RV Flexible Sealant do the job for me? I would assume I need to completely remove the old or can it be cleaned and touched up? Thanks.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
    Yesterday I noticed some separation at some of the corner trim and rubber seal at the slide on our 221RB. It appears to be clear silicone caulk. Can someone confirm and if so, will Geocel Pro Flex Crystal Clear RV Flexible Sealant do the job for me? I would assume I need to completely remove the old or can it be cleaned and touched up? Thanks.
    Yes and you assume correctly.

That Geocel can be a bear to work with--if you haven't used it before I suggest practicing on some scrap wood or something. Small (short), thin applications quickly followed up before it skins over (which happens very quickly).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks, Howard.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Can this be used on the sidewalls? I recently had an issue with our spray port and had to remove and repair. When taking it apart there was a bit of caulking around the plastic on the port that came off with it.
        Scott & Mikaela
        2022 375 RES
        2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
          Can this be used on the sidewalls? I recently had an issue with our spray port and had to remove and repair. When taking it apart there was a bit of caulking around the plastic on the port that came off with it.
          This can be used anywhere just remember as Howard has already said "this stuff is a bear to work with", it is fast acting and does not like to be played with very long, a minute or 2 maybe. I used this on one project and it has held up great but I had a mess to clean up that was not so much fun. Also make sure to remove all of the old and clean very well before putting the new in place, ALL and CLEAN, are very important.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The original caulking is silicone . . . and, nothing sticks to even a trace of the old silicone . . . not even new silicone. Removing that last trace of the old silicone (without damaging the surface underneath) is the problem. I have found that WD40 is as good as any other silicone remover.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob, any particular tool to use in conjunction with the WD-40?
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas

I use a rag soaked in WD40 and a plastic razor blade scraper. The plastic blades don’t last long, so get a large box. (Relatively inexpensive on Amazon).

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	920DA524-889C-415A-8668-7B8DC75CDB8D.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	95850
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  BillinTexas

I use a rag soaked in WD40 and a plastic razor blade scraper. The plastic blades don’t last long, so get a large box. (Relatively inexpensive on Amazon).

Rob

I used those when I replaced the baggage doors on my 2600RB, been a big fan ever since
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Cate&Rob, I'll look for them. Thanks.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas Bill I have an upcoming Shower project so, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C7DGB2X...roduct_details was ordered.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2, I ordered this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          BillinTexas

Rob

These are what I use too. They work great but as Rob said don't last long.

Another Rob
                          Rob & Barb
                          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

BillinTexas Bill, one of the guys at work had that one, he did not like the little holders as they flexed too much. He was also doing a shower with inside corners, so for your flat case, it may work better.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              BillinTexas Bill, one of the guys at work had that one, he did not like the little holders as they flexed too much. He was also doing a shower with inside corners, so for your flat case, it may work better.
                              I have also had a problem with the plastic holders allowing the flexible plastic blade to slip out of place in the holder which curves the blade . . . making it less than useful. I have an older screw clamp holder, similar to the one in the picture, that holds the plastic blade much more firmly and keeps it straight.

Rob

Name:	71cvCoZCYlL._AC_AA152_.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	95925
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X