No announcement yet.

Clear sealant maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastwood has a variety of paint prep products which may also help. You would have to scrape off the majority of silicone where the prep will remove the thin film that's left behind.

https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Sili...95435073&psc=1

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Eastwood has a variety of paint prep products which may also help. You would have to scrape off the majority of silicone where the prep will remove the thin film that's left behind.

https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Sili...95435073&psc=1

Jim
      Unfortunately, this can't be shipped to my location. My wife and I sold our home in August to take advantage of the market so we are currently living in ours at a location that isn't urban at all. We bought the property with a 30x40 building on it.

What is the best way to spread the Proflex material? Some of the areas are very thin so a bead wouldn't look very good.
      Attached Files
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Bill,

Any auto paint supply store will carry the wax and silicone pre-paint prep. Napa is one such store. I would not call myself an expert on smoothing out silicone where someone that does this daily for a living can do flawless work but here is what I do.

1) Cut the tip of the tube at 45 deg. to dispense a very small amount of sealant. Many cut the tip far to much. I like 100% GE Silicone for a product.

2) Tape the perimeter a small distance from the trim.

3) Place a small bead of silicone around the trim.

4) Dipping your finger in alcohol, smooth the silicone and feather out to the tape line.

Jim

Comment

BillinTexas -- GD techs also use 100% silicone. They follow the process outlined by Jim above except they use ammonia-free window cleaner. They spray their pointing finger and ('cause they do it so often) make a perfect bead.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            BillinTexas -- GD techs also use 100% silicone. They follow the process outlined by Jim above except they use ammonia-free window cleaner. They spray their pointing finger and ('cause they do it so often) make a perfect bead.
            This is amazing as I assumed the silicone from the factory was put on with some kind of machine?? It just looks too good!!

I had to do some work on a previous trailer and while I got the silicone on, it did not look too pretty. I believe I used the Geosel Proflex and I agree it is tough to work with. A good 100% silicone would probably be more forgiving.
            Last edited by Lonestar; 10-07-2022, 11:44 PM.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
            X