Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on hitch pin tripod stands and front jack cross stabilizers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on hitch pin tripod stands and front jack cross stabilizers?

Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct area for these questions, but it did not seem to fit in the "suspension" category. I am a new 5th wheeler and I would like to get advice or comments on stabilizers. I have seen the tripod pin supports people put out, and I have also seen the cross supports for the front jacks. Do these really work? If so, what brands/models are recommended? I'm using scissor wheel chocks already, I'm just looking for a little more stability for the lateral movement while in the parks.
    thanks
    Rob
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

I have a set similar to this Amazon.com: WEIZE Slide Out Support Jacks - 20.5'' to 38.5'' Slide Out Stabilizers for RV, Camper and Travel Trailer, Supports Up to 4,700 lbs, 2 Pcs : Automotive​, I would have to measure to see what size they are. I use these on the rear hitch tube on both ends and they seem to take a lot of the movement from the RV. You could test this theory with a floor jack or bottle jack and see what you think.

I have heard both pros and cons of the tripod on the king pin, even camped with a couple that had one and would use it once and a while and never really liked it. I believe that Cate&Rob uses one with good results.

I have always wanted to try the cross supports but do not want to spend the money if they are not all they are made out to be. What I have is working well for us.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I tried the tripod up front and never had good results with it. I have a goosebox and I think the airbag doesn't help the situation either.

I got jacks for the rear like Country Campers and that made a significant difference. I may attempt the rear jacks + tri-pod next trip out, but I am pretty lazy to set all that up.
      2020 GD 320G
      2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

I started using a king pin stabilizer over the last few months, I only chock the tires (don’t have x-chicks) but also have 6 point hydraulic leveling in our 375RES. It has helped get rid of a bit more of the “wiggle”, my primary reason for getting it was the addition of a washer and dryer in the bedroom. Without the stabilizer in place the spin cycle on the washer is awful, with it it’s barely noticeable. I selected this one because it seemed like it had a lot of options for adjusting and was also on sale.
        Scott & Mikaela
        2022 375 RES
        2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

I do use a pin tripod for any stay over a few days and only if on a hard packed or preferably concrete surface. The "trick" with the tripod is to heavily load it so that the front weight of the trailer is more-or-less evenly distributed between the front legs and the tripod. To do this, raise the front legs slightly after the tripod is in place under the pin.

The X braces between the tires don't do much (in my opinion) to stop side-to-side motion of the trailer. All they can affect is fore-aft movement. I bought a set and returned them the next day because we could not discern any difference with/without. Important to note that these are not a replacement for wheel chocks . . . chocks should still be used. I have never installed the diagonal braces to the legs, so can't comment on their effectiveness . . . although many report that these work well. (I don't care for the large holes that have to be drilled in the lower flanges of the I Beam frame to mount these)

The most effective side-to-side motion reduction is with rigid slide support legs . . . but, these should be used with extreme caution. For example, a tire going soft could transfer enough load to these supports to seriously damage the slide mechanisms. Most (all?) RV manufacturers warn against using these under the slides. I will admit that I have used these if there are going to be four adults sitting around the table in the slide . Using these under the rear hitch tube or bumper as suggested by Country Campers Brian is an interesting idea . . . I will have to try that!

(another) Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob you raise your front legs after installing the king pin stabilizer? Just trying to figure out your method and try.
            Scott & Mikaela
            2022 375 RES
            2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
              Cate&Rob you raise your front legs after installing the king pin stabilizer? Just trying to figure out your method and try.
              Hi Scott,

Yes, I raise the front legs (but only maybe 1/4") after the stabilizer tripod is in place and tightened up to the pin. Most folks who do not see the benefit of the tripod leave it only tightened with the twist handles . . . this is not enough support to do much. As you raise the front legs, you will see the pinbox flex, but the front legs are still supporting most of the weight of the trailer.

Note that I do not have automatic or hydraulic levelling . . . this may affect the process of raising just the front legs, even if it is just that small amount.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hello - I have tried both. I ditched the tripod kingpin support for Moryde front stabilizers. I also purchased the rear Moryde stabilizers that go in the rear tow hitch. Both offer great overall stabilization for our 303RLS. The front tripod worked ok but the jack stabilizers are much better in my opinion. They both are relatively easy to deploy, even for one night stays.
                Alan and Julie Hartford
                2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 303RLS
                2015 F-350 SW Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch

Comment

Bigdog3162 X2 on Wicked's response
                  Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                  2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                  2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                  2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                  Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

The adjustment process for the MORryde front leg stabilizers looks like it would be complex for different campsites. Is this something that is easier to do than described by MORryde? https://www.morryde.com/products/5th-wheel-stabilizer/

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We have the Strongarm jack stabilizers and find them very effective. But, similar to Robs comment with the kingpin stabilizer, you need to load them up to get full stabilization.
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I use one of these under the rear hitch cross race and am happy with it. Can’t use the morryde because a bike rack is in the hitch.

Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizer

Comment

Working...
                        X