Losing Hitch Pins Suddenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing Hitch Pins Suddenly

We have a 2020 Grand Design XLS 22MLE.We just returned from a trip and we are suddenly losing lynch pins. We lost 3 on this trip. My husband was able to find one that popped out right around the corner from our house. He wondered if it was broken - but it was not. So something is suddenly causing them to come out. I also notice a lot more noise/clanking when making turns than usual. My husband said he notices that one side of the sway bar seems loser than the other side. If anyone has a suggestion on some things he can try to correct this problem, I would like to hear from you. He usually tries to fix things himself first before taking them somewhere to be repaired.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Can you provide a few more details please? What brand of hitch are you using? Where are the linchpins attached? Are they actually linchpins or are they hitch pin clips. Examples below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Pin Clips.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	96047
    Hitch Pin Clips

Click image for larger version

Name:	linchpin.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	96048
    Linchpin

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I would start by finding the instructions for the hitch and then go back over the install/setup directions and see if the hitch is in fact setup and adjusted properly. None of my travel trailers had the hitch set correctly by the dealer.
      Assuming the hitch is correct I would then contact the manufacturer and explain the issue and ask for guidance. Be sure and make note of the instruction manuals naming of the parts since accuracy in describing the failure will make the process easier.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by CampCinci View Post
        We have a 2020 Grand Design XLS 22MLE.We just returned from a trip and we are suddenly losing lynch pins. We lost 3 on this trip. My husband was able to find one that popped out right around the corner from our house. He wondered if it was broken - but it was not. So something is suddenly causing them to come out. I also notice a lot more noise/clanking when making turns than usual. My husband said he notices that one side of the sway bar seems loser than the other side. If anyone has a suggestion on some things he can try to correct this problem, I would like to hear from you. He usually tries to fix things himself first before taking them somewhere to be repaired.
        Are the lynch pins similar to the second photo in Jim's post? If so are you using the correct size. They should just fit the hole. Otherwise the movement will brake the outer spring. My hay equipment uses a lot of them and if not sized properly they tend to wall out of the fitting after the spring brakes. Also make sure the head is placed up - that is very important. Also they are not all made equal. Tractor Supply carry's a line of HD ones (black in color) with a lot stronger spring action, but warning - watch the fingers.

Hope this helps
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

OK - so it was the top picture, so Hitch pins that came out. The hitch is an e2 hitch, and the brochure that came with the hitch says that the hitch clip is attached to the L pin.
          2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

OK - so it was the top picture, so Hitch pins that came out. The hitch is an e2 hitch, and the brochure that came with the hitch says that the hitch clip is attached to the L pin.
            This is a first for me - I have never had a properly sized hitch pin clip come out. Again are you using the correct size clip. Clip diameter should just fit inside the hole and bulge area not be extended around the L-pin. In other words should fit snugly around the hitch pin and not be loose or overly extended. Again quality is important. Is you L-pin (hitch pin) properly sized? It should not be walking around as the hitch works. Another solution is to get a locking hitch pin like these https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...yAAEgI76_D_BwE

Hope this helps

On edit - is there anything that could be snagging the clip like safety chains or breakaway cable, etc?
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Another seemingly odd question to add, but which way are you putting the R clips in? They should be put in from the TV to TT rearward. If put in from TT to TV forward, anything on the roadway can cause them to become dislodged.

I get the R clip (top picture above) vs Linch Pin based on the picture here: https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

R Clip is probably the generic common name https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...c?cm_vc=-10005

Note in the picture shown https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-l-pin-clip there is a larger flat spot between the notches on the bent side of the pin. My guess is this is to allow for the square L bracket.

You could go to https://www.mcmaster.com/pins/pin-ty...p-cotter-pins/ or https://www.mcmaster.com/pins/locking-cotter-pins/ as an alternative to ordering the special elongated R Clips.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thank you!
                2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Thank you!
                  Did you find a solution? We love to hear back if we helped solved the problem
                  Keith

Comment

Odd in a maybe not so funny way... I found two (intact) hitch pins on a campground roadway on our last-of-the-season outing. Made me think what would cause them to release.

Mike
                    Mike & Sonya
                    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                    Blue Ox SwayPro
                    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I have an assortment of pins I have accumulated from walking in the campgrounds and finding them on the side of the roads. My guess is that some of them fell off the trailer because they were set down during the hitching process and forgotten. I put them in my tool box just in case a neighbor might need one.
                      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                      X