Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2565.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	96072 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2564.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	96073 Saw this gap at the front where the front meets the roof. Do I need to clean it all up or just fill it in
    2021 imagine 2670mk
    2018 Chevrolet 3500 6.6 diesel long box 4door srw

Originally posted by Billo View Post

ID:	96073 Saw this gap at the front where the front meets the roof. Do I need to clean it all up or just fill it in
    Billo,

My biggest concern for that crack is that the front of the roof membrane is starting to come loose. I've seen a few of those going down the highway and it looks like a large parachute pulling the membrane off the trailer. The first thing I'd do is pinch some of the membrane and see if it's lifting. If so, the adhesive is giving loose and significant repairs are in order. If the membrane is snug to the underlying roof structure, I'd remove any loose sealant and then completely fill the gap. I would not try to remove that whole seam of sealant because it may pull the membrane loose.

Some people cover that area with seam tape. I recommend against that because future inspection and maintenance is almost impossible.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

There is a bubble in the membrane about six inches behind the crack. What do I need to glue this down again?
      2021 imagine 2670mk

Comment

Billo, just to add to TucsonJim comments, i would not delay repairing this, and if you can, get the trailer somewhere out of the elements until a fix is possible. With the entire front seam exposed like that, it's prime for water infiltration, which will lead to a bad situation. It maybe worth while to check for any soft spots along that seam to make sure the substrate is still in good shape?
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

The trailer has been inside fo two months. Every thing seems solid. It will be inside until next spring so I have some time to fix this right.
          2021 imagine 2670mk

Comment

There is a bubble in the membrane about six inches behind the crack. What do I need to glue this down again?
            Check your owner's documentation to verify that the roofing manufacturer is Alpha Systems LLC. If so, I'd contact them in order to get the correct adhesive and repair instructions. Their contact number is 574-295-5206​.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Is this on your 2021? How is it failing so quick?
              2020 GD 320G
              2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

That's a rather odd linear and extensive failure of sealant on a relatively new trailer. I'd be following-up with the dealer and/or GD in case other factors are at play.

Mike
                Mike & Sonya
                2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                Blue Ox SwayPro
                2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Is the membrane moving or is the front cap moving? It appears the front cap is lifting off the roofing.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

If I owned the trailer I would certainly contact GD. Just for the fact that I feel that something is not right on how big the crack is. Glad you have the trailer inside as it would have water damage over the winter.

Comment

Billo,

Have you found a solution to your membrane / cap seperation issue? I am interested in knowing what actions you have taken.

After approximately 12,000 miles (1.5 years) I have the same the same exact issue. In September I noticed the crack and separation on the driver side. I added Dicor. The passenger side looked solid. Since September we have driven another 5,000 miles and now the passenger side is separating. As we were driving I could see in the sideview mirror a bubble forming under the membrane. We stopped as planned for the night. The next morning I scaled the ladder to inspect the entire roof. At the front cap, a new crack on the passenger side was present. The membrane behind the front cap had bubbled and detached from the roof substrate. Also, further back at the two main joints in the substrate across the width of the trailer the membrane is also detached and bubbled.

I have since contacted GD service. They suggested I contact Alpha Systems LLC for warranty coverage. Alpha assessed the pictures and threw the ball back to GD saying it was an installtion issue and not product related. Alpha rep also alluded to an observation that there has been large batch of RV's from this manufacture at this time frame that has had this complaint. The issus is that the adhesive was not adequately or correctly applied.

I am back with GD working on a solution. I believe they are leaning toward a total replacement of the membrane. Just patching or adding adhesive at the front will not resolve all the issues. I have also found bubbles with poor adhesion on the passenger side slide roof (pictured). In this forum there was a question raised by Jlawles2 whether there may be other hidden issues with the front cap. I will stay present when the membrane is removed to look for any evidence that the cap is detaching. During the original patch I had to add sealant on the side of the cap on the driven side. There was some seperation between the side wall and the cap. On this model the cap does not wrap around. Its probably cost savings but my next rig will have a wrap-around cap. It is a clear indication of quality engineering.

The next difficulty will be to find a service center that is available within weeks rather than months. We have plans to add another 5,000 miles in the next three months. One service center that specializes in roof repairs says to plan on 1 week for quoting and part sourcing and another week (40 hrs) for service. The short-term solution suggested by Alpha systems is to use eterna-bond tape along the cap and put long straps of eterna-bond from driver-to-passenger across the bubbled areas to hold it down while driving.

The point of adding this post is to confirm that this is a serious issue and seems to be common through a certain build cycle. What I have learned that it is not a simple separation but a complete failure of the adhesive for the entire roof and probably slides. There is a short-term solution but it will not fix the entire problem. The correct solution is very invasive but needs to be done.

Thank you TucsonJim for your comments and value you add to these forum topics.

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	99046 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1922.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	99047 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1926.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	99048 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1925.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	99049 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	99050
                      Al & Ann
                      F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                      Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

humunuku Sorry to hear about the trouble. Honestly for the mileage you put on (similar to my own) with those kind of issues I'd bite the bullet and replace the roof with a spray on. There's a write up on here from someone who had it done, and the results seemed pretty great. I've been considering it for a while, but fortunately haven't had any issues yet to warrant it.

Found the post from the person that did it.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...roof-installed
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

humunuku Sorry to hear about you issues. Luckily the slides are not under the vacuum that hits the roof creating the lifting and bubbling. As suggested by Neil, it may be worth considering a professional installed spray on, or if you are a DIY guy and can plan 2 - 3 days, https://crazyseal.com . The DIY will probably save you $10k and has a 50 year warranty.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Billo One observation I made during the past couple of days; I see the profile of fasteners for the front cap through the Lap sealant in my pictures. Comparing your pictures to mine, I do not see the fastener profiles on your rig. Becuase your separation is much larger than mine, I am wondering if the hold down fasteners for your front cap to the roof were ever installed. You may want to look and verify what I am seeing in these pictures.
                            Al & Ann
                            F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                            Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Mine did the same thing (just where the roof membrane meets the cap). We were camp hosts this past summer and had blazing, unrelentless sun for 3 months. In the middle of the summer I just cleaned it up with an old toothbrush and Windex and went a little heavy with the self leveling Alpha. I just checked it before the short trip we are on now and it is holding up well. The sealant on the rest of my roof is good.
                              Mike and (RIP Karen)
                              2021 2600RB
                              2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                              X