Slam latch lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slam latch lock

Our new 2970RL Imagine has slam latch doors for the outside storage doors. It is very difficult to get the key in the lock. The spring-loaded cover for the key hole does not want to move out of the way and then the key is extremely difficult to get all the way in. I wouldn’t think this is a break-in item and should work properly now. Is there a solution short of a warranty replacement?

Originally posted by Taurus2415 View Post
    Our new 2970RL Imagine has slam latch doors for the outside storage doors. It is very difficult to get the key in the lock. The spring-loaded cover for the key hole does not want to move out of the way and then the key is extremely difficult to get all the way in. I wouldn’t think this is a break-in item and should work properly now. Is there a solution short of a warranty replacement?
    The one "must have" lubricant for your RV. If CRC doesn't free up the lock, replace it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CRC.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	9845
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I had the same issue and used some Liquid Wrench and a silicon lubricant as that was all I could get locally in a very remote location. Worked!
      337RLS (2017) and 367BHS (2019)

Comment

Dry Lube (better) or CRC every couple of months makes the latches work like buttah. CRC is also used to lube your hydraulics and slides.
        Last edited by JeffC; 01-01-2020, 12:24 PM.
        2017 310GK

Comment

Mine were so corroded that I needed something to break down the junk in there. More than likely delivered in winter and sat through winter until first used almost a year later. Some where so corroded the key slide wouldn’t and where it would, the key could not be inserted.
          337RLS (2017) and 367BHS (2019)

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The one "must have" lubricant for your RV. If CRC doesn't free up the lock, replace it.

I have used CRC in other applications but I am sure that dry lube is better for lock mechanisms so it doesn’t attract dirt. I will go with the CRC dry PTFE version and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus2415 View Post
              Mine were the same way. Incredibly cheap locks. Very disappointed. I used a lock lube. The key is much easier to insert. Turning the key doesn't feel like crushing gravel. One lock still doesn't work, doesn't lock.Anybody know how I remove these horrible locks?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9065.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	12700

Comment

2970RL. These cargo door locks are absolutely NOT VERY GOOD. Only 2 months old and had to be lubed just to get the key in and turn it. Now one actually locks, the other doesn't. Key slides in okay, turns okay, doesn't lock... How do I get this NOT VERY GOOD lock off the door? It appears to be pop riveted over the door trim! Are you serious GD? Any advice appreciated...
                Last edited by howson; 02-18-2020, 10:15 AM. Reason: Edited at Moderator's request. (Thank you.)

Comment

This has worked well for us. Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock Lube.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	12712
                  Attached Files
                  Tim & Terrie
                  2018 Ram 3500 SRW Long bed
                  2020 337 RLS

Comment

Originally posted by AnRVAndADog View Post
                    2970RL. These cargo door locks are absolutely NOT VERY GOOD. Only 2 months old and had to be lubed just to get the key in and turn it. Now one actually locks, the other doesn't. Key slides in okay, turns okay, doesn't lock... How do I get this NOT VERY GOOD lock off the door? It appears to be pop riveted over the door trim! Are you serious GD? Any advice appreciated...
                    In addition to their "not very good" nature did you know the key is exactly the same on every single GDRV? Check it--bet it's a 751CH or 0001(?). I ran into a new owner at a campsite that had forgotten to get their pass-thru keys from the dealer. I reached into my pocket, grabbed my key and unlocked his door. He wasn't happy!

I've replaced all of my locks with RVLocks. While that doesn't make the RV "secure" (2 seconds with a pry bar will open anything) at least it keeps honest people honest. The pass-thru "how to install" is attached should you be interested.

This is another thread that you might find interesting: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...e-baggage-door

-Howard

RVLock Keyless Baggage Door Handle Installation Final.pdf
                    Attached Files
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                    X