No announcement yet.

Solera Slide Topper Install - '19 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dinette slide topper is installed. Super pleased with the initial result. Tough install--not for the faint of heart--but it is doable.

I must also hasten to add that this isn't a time-tested installation. If I have any issues later I'll be sure to update this thread. Bottom line--if you attempt to duplicate what I've done and it doesn't go well don't blame me!

I'll let the pictures and video tell the story. If you have any questions, fire away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Topper 1.JPG
Views:	1038
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	11001

Name:	Topper 2.JPG
Views:	848
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	11002

Name:	Topper 3.JPG
Views:	921
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	11003

Note how the top of the awning no longer has the "V" to trap debris in the pic above! If you look back at post 11, the fourth picture shows the "V". The "no V" is how the awning should be installed at the factory IMHO.

Short 1.5 minute video showing the awning going in and out as well as the slide. Try to contain your excitement...

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,
      I do like how the slide awning does not have the V to trap water.
      Both of my awning have the V (water traps) and I wonder if the V is putting added stress on the mounting rail when rolling up. Might be a reason why some people have pulled their rail loose on the coach. Pulling up on the rail instead of slightly downward.

Oh, nice job. You have more guts than I on something like this.
      Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

After being in a blizzard and sub-zero temps. this past weekend, I'm just loving the blue sky and palm trees !

Another outstanding project well thought through and executed extremely well. I wonder what your 315 ways empty now with all the mods. and additions you have done excluding suspension upgrade.....500 lbs.or so more ? ......and more yet to come.

My apologies for not staying on topic Howard.

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
          After being in a blizzard and sub-zero temps. this past weekend, I'm just loving the blue sky and palm trees !

Another outstanding project well thought through and executed extremely well. I wonder what your 315 ways empty now with all the mods. and additions you have done excluding suspension upgrade.....500 lbs.or so more ? ......and more yet to come.

My apologies for not staying on topic Howard.

Dan
          No problem, Dan. The camper is heavy. No doubt about it. Definitely more than the sticker on the side of the camper "allows", but the weight that pushes me over the camper's GVWR is the MORRyde suspension. As documented in my IS installation thread I choose not to worry about it--the frame's not carrying the extra weight. If anything, with the robust suspension and disc brakes it is a much more capable camper than what the sticker indicates. What I monitor closely is tongue weight. I won't exceed what the "A" frame welded on the front is designed to carry.

More inline with this thread's topic, the toppers are surprisingly light. The access plates are easily the heaviest components of the system as they are solid steel.

Some may consider that I'm rationalizing my decisions. They'd argue that no matter what the GVWR sticker shouldn't be exceeded. I understand that argument and I'm fairly certain every manufacturer (including our host, GD) would say the sticker's GVWR is the camper's max allowed weight, period. I've certainly made that argument in the past. (I've even been called out once where I "flip flopped" like a politician on the topic.) Bottom line--I'm very comfortable with what I've done and how the camper performs. As my sig line shows, I've made so many changes I now consider the trailer a "Super" 315RLTS, or 315RLTSPlus.

You're right--there's still more to come. Two more major mods--but they'll be in different threads.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson - Yes, Howard we know that the GVWR (for our trucks, RVs, other) can be a "magical" calculation many times due to state regulations for registration/licensing/testing/etc; industry manufacturer competition; and more. Remember when the early generation Solitude 375s had a GVWR of 16K and now 16.8K. Not sure what changed but I suspect nothing in the frame design or build. I do not even think axles, springs, or tires changed. I think it was simply the feedback and loss of sales due to the low CCC. And as in many great cases,GDRV responded in a positive and solution oriented manner.

I suspect that if our 303 was built with 6K axles, and 16" E tires (as we now have thanks to GDRV) rather than 5.2k axles and 15" D rated tires when built in 2013, the GVWR would be much greater than just shy of 12K originally specified. No change to the frame design or build specifications would occur just as with the Solitude 375. Same story could be told with your 315 and many other RVs I suspect.

Dan
            Last edited by Canyonlight; 01-22-2020, 11:53 AM.
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Note how the top of the awning no longer has the "V" to trap debris in the pic above! If you look back at post 11, the fourth picture shows the "V". The "no V" is how the awning should be installed at the factory IMHO.
              I didn't pickup on what you changed to eliminate the "V". Can you explain?

-Steve
              2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
              Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
              2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
              18k B&W Companion, non-slider
              640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
              Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
              Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That's how Cate&Rob 's dealer installed his, but it is not according to LCI's installation instructions.
                I bought an LCI topper in late 2019 for my dinette slide-out. Planning an install this spring.

My 5ver Solitude has the access plate and bracket clearance issue as well, but there seems to be ample room above the slide-out to insure adequate slope on the topper. I'm leaning toward mounting the access hardware the way dealers and GD have done it, instead of moving the awning arms. (Seems like a lot less work and eliminates wiring issues.) Two questions:

1 - You seem very concerned that LCI's installation instructions not be ignored. Why do you think access hardware location instruction is such a big deal -- especially if GD is changing it around?

2 - I don't have access to my rig right now, but I'm assuming there is no backing behind the trim where Cate&Rob mounted his access hardware. Does that suggest mounting the access hardware with bolts and nuts instead of sheet metal screws?

-Steve

Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I didn't pickup on what you changed to eliminate the "V". Can you explain?

-Steve
                  The rail that holds the camper's awning fabric to the camper remained where it was as originally installed by GD. The arms that extend and also support the roller for the fabric was originally so high that it created a valley when snug up against the camper. In other words the rail was lower than the roller. By moving the arms down (which means the roller, too) while leaving the rail in place the valley was eliminated.

This is crudely drawn but I think it conveys what I'm trying to write. After looking at this diagram scroll up and look at the pictures again--I think you'll have an "aha!" moment.

Name:	crude example.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	11984

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I bought an LCI topper in late 2019 for my dinette slide-out. Planning an install this spring.

My 5ver Solitude has the access plate and bracket clearance issue as well, but there seems to be ample room above the slide-out to insure adequate slope on the topper. I'm leaning toward mounting the access hardware the way dealers and GD have done it, instead of moving the awning arms. (Seems like a lot less work and eliminates wiring issues.) Two questions:

1 - You seem very concerned that LCI's installation instructions not be ignored. Why do you think access hardware location instruction is such a big deal -- especially if GD is changing it around?

2 - I don't have access to my rig right now, but I'm assuming there is no backing behind the trim where Cate&Rob mounted his access hardware. Does that suggest mounting the access hardware with bolts and nuts instead of sheet metal screws?

-Steve
                    1 - Hardware Location: Look closely at Cate&Rob 's post (15) regarding his installation (by the dealer). Do you have an angle on the side of the 310GK when looking at where the slide and roof meet that looks like Rob's 303RLS? (My 315RLTS' is relatively even.) Rob's fabric ended up being "flat" because of this issue. (But I should let him speak to his install!)

Bottom line--I wanted to ensure there wasn't an issue with the fabric's slope. I also have a (problem?) with having stuff as consistent as possible, so I wanted the same installation on the dinette as on the other two slides.

2 - Backing / Hardware: Since I did not install the hardware in the flange of the slide, perhaps Rob can post detailed pictures of his installation to answer your question. If bolts/nuts are used, if installed too low will they impact the bulb seal? (That would be bad!)

Regarding my "concern": how I approach installations is to assume the manufacturer had a rationale for their instructions. Not always true--not by a long shot!--but I start with that premise. Making modifications is only done if I can determine to my satisfaction that it is feasible and safe to do so.

As I stated in the original post, I agonized over messing with those awning arms. I'm glad I did, retrospectively, but it's not for the faint-of-heart! This thread is just a way to show how one shadetree-rv-technician-wannabe figured out how to install toppers on his 315RLTS. I haven't even towed with them yet. I'll be sure to report how they hold up once I do.

When you get to your install please post a follow-up!
                    Last edited by howson; 02-04-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Howard,

I ran across this and your slide topper work is superb. I've looked into these and have not made a decision yet. I've heard they can reduce the noise from rain by a great deal. My slide is quite noisy in the rain. One thing that I do not like on all toppers/awnings is that the roll tends to stow away higher than the bracket per their instructions. In some conditions, this could allow water to get to the mounting screws. I do not understand why they do this.

As a temporary solution for cleaning debris off the slide, I have purchased an 80v 2.5ah Kobalt lithium leaf blower to blow off my slide and it could also be useful for starting fires. I believe the slide toppers are the Cadillac solution where I may head in this direction. And a side note: This Kobalt blower is just begging to be stripped down and used in a ducted fan airplane.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        I ran across this and your slide topper work is superb.

And a side note: This Kobalt blower is just begging to be stripped down and used in a ducted fan airplane.
                        Gotcha on the airplane! One of the regrets is not finding time at the rally to go fly the aircraft you brought there. :(

I do need to go back and trim the butyl tape on the bedroom slide rail. The bedroom topper was the first install and didn't position it quite right so it "squished" out the sides. I don't like how it looks. Should be easy enough if I *carefully* trim it away with a razor blade.

But that's me being picky.

I really, really like having the toppers. Today a fierce storm front came rolling through northwest Florida. The slides were out, so all it took was a quick inspection inside to ensure everything was clear and within minutes the slides were in, camper secured. Not having to climb on the roof to clean the slides--priceless!

Comment

Howard,

I also see in looking back at #31 that you have eliminated that trough effect that I stated. Nice work!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

I've heard they can reduce the noise from rain by a great deal. My slide is quite noisy in the rain.
                            The noise on the slide-out in the rain is the primary reason I'm adding a topper to the dinette slide-out. I put a topper over the bedroom slide-out last year, and it made a huge improvement in noise-levels. Hoping for that kind of improvement over the dinette.

-Steve

Somerset, WI

Comment

Quick update--as mentioned in two other posts I got to tow for the first time today with these toppers. It was basically a "functional test tow" for the many mods I've done since December.

The toppers were rock solid! No flapping or movement of any kind (the DW was following in her van watching for anything suspect--just in case). We stopped at a rest area on I-10 and I inspected every inch of the installation (truckers probably thought I was nuts as I shimmied my way across the roof looking at everything!) and I saw no signs of stress in the silicone sealant or any movement whatsoever on any part of the toppers. Very, very pleased with the slide toppers.

Comment

Final update. The DW and I camped in Atlanta, GA last week and while we were there it rained like Noah had built another Ark and was ready to float away. The slide toppers damped what I'd experienced in previous rainstorms as a "thunderous rapping" on the slide roofs down to a "pleasant buzz". My travel day departure preps are also much, much easier, too, since I no longer have to crawl on the roof before every slide movement to ensure they are clear of debris.

Bottom line: I am now firmly in the "yes" camp when it comes to the perpetual question, "Are slide toppers worth it?"

I will add that I spotted many toppers on campers in the park where we were at that had topper material drooping in a "U" on their slides. Removal and re-tensioning of those toppers would cut down on the "flapping" complaints tremendously and help with water dispersal. Proper installation is important, so if you have them installed check that the individuals doing the work know what they are doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X