No announcement yet.

Solera Slide Topper Install - '19 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently purchased an Imagine 3970RL and ordered slide toppers that I’ll be installing this weekend. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I have the same issue you describe in this thread, so I really appreciate the time and effort you’ve spent on this solution. I’ll try to update my results.
    Mo

Comment

Originally posted by Mosaco View Post
      I recently purchased an Imagine 3970RL and ordered slide toppers that I’ll be installing this weekend. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I have the same issue you describe in this thread, so I really appreciate the time and effort you’ve spent on this solution. I’ll try to update my results.
      Mo
      Love my slide toppers! No crawling on the roof or messing with blowers to inspect (and clean if necessary) the slide roofs. My only regret was waiting so long to install them.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Howard,

Well just about two years later now, and I just came across your posts in this forum as I have the same problem with my power awing being installed all the way to the top of the slide-out with no room for the slide-out topper brackets where the instructions show as you have stated. I also am a stickler about doing everything right and totally agreed with all of your thoughts about the installation, especially in regards to lowing the power awning to remove the "V" channel that can catch debris. So I took it a step further and was interested in the directions of installation for the power awning itself. Would you believe that the directions for the power awning installation shows the awning rail being installed dead center of the roll tube assembly, which would in effect create the "V" channel? I like how you did it without the "v" so it won't catch any water or debris. But now, with that said, you got to wonder why they installed the awning that high to create the "V". BTW, how is everything holding up? Power awning working ok still after lowering?

Happy Camping
        Chris
        Solera Slide Topper Access Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Christindwelt View Post
          But now, with that said, you got to wonder why they installed the awning that high to create the "V". BTW, how is everything holding up? Power awning working ok still after lowering?
          Hi Chris,
          I'm not sure why the OEM awning installation created the "V" debris-catcher. I can say without any hesitation or caveat that the work to install the toppers was 100% worth it. In heavy winds there is some minor flapping that can be annoying over the bedroom slide, but if it's that bad I pull in the slide and sleep on the bed with the slide retracted--no flapping. Sleeping on the bed with it in is not recommended but I've had no ill effects to my knowledge.

Good luck with your install.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Hi all,

Very good information on slide installations. Thanks to all.

I found another good installation youtube by etrailer - I would recommend watching this one too (sorry if this is redundant. Look for the 2019 Jayco installation video - it is about 18 minutes long).

etrailer | Solera Slider Slide-Topper Installation - 2019 Jayco Greyhawk Motorhome - YouTube​​

Dan

Comment

howson "3) The additional benefit of moving down the arms without moving the fabric is it will eliminate the channel currently created by how the arms and fabric are installed. There's a "V" that catches all kinds of foreign objects that don't slide off when the awning is extended. The fabric will face down instead of up with the change. The pic below is as the awning is currently installed."

Howard,
              Sorry, I forgot how to quote correctly. Anyway, on the third picture from post #11. Did you find the EGS (electro galvanized steel) bonded to the back of the exterior skin down that far? Because when I first looked into my awning problems it was due to the back arm of the awning not closing all of the way. What I found was on post #18 of the attached link. Again, sorry been a while since I've been in here looking for and needing some guidance.
              Winds were calm today so I got a start on repairing my bowed awning. First you will find the information on the bowed awning here. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/grand-d...close-properly (https://gdrvowners.com/forum/grand-design-manufacturers-corner/ask-grand-design/3132-awning-bowing-from-trailer-will-not-close-properly) My
              John and Teresa
              "19" 2500 HD GMC Sierra Duramax SLT.
              "17" 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Jbandtbone View Post
                Did you find the EGS (electro galvanized steel) bonded to the back of the exterior skin down that far?
                Yes, on my trailer. Strongly suggest testing on yours before duplicating what I was able to do. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-it-in-your-rv for a refresher on how to check (if needed).

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Yes, on my trailer. Strongly suggest testing on yours before duplicating what I was able to do. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-it-in-your-rv for a refresher on how to check (if needed).

Howard
                  Well, I did a check similar a few years back when I kept noticing loose/striped fasteners on the arms. I don't have it down at the original location, but the plus-nuts are holding fine so far.
                  Thanks again picked up so more good information.
                  John and Teresa
                  "19" 2500 HD GMC Sierra Duramax SLT.
                  "17" 303RLS

Comment

I was asked by a member via a PM to take some measurements. Thought I'd post them here in case it helps someone else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	79
Size:	755.7 KB
ID:	125185

Views:	67
Size:	848.4 KB
ID:	125186

Views:	66
Size:	864.8 KB
ID:	125187

Comment

I was asked by a member via a PM to take some measurements. Thought I'd post them here in case it helps someone else.​
                      Howard - are you mission a few screws or did they shear off? In the last photo they look sheared?
                      Last edited by howson; 12-10-2023, 06:40 PM.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Note: Below is the info that triggered post 54. Made slight edits for readibility. -Howard

I’m planning on putting 5000 series slide toppers on my slide outs. I saw you have toppers and was wondering if there was any conflict on the slide out with awning mounted on it.

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	125218

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	125219

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	125220

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	125221

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	125222

Thanks for the information,looks like there’s going to be enough room over the arm on our dinette slide,going to be close.
                        Last edited by howson; 12-10-2023, 06:55 PM.
                        Tim and Betty
                        2016 F250 4x4 Anderson 3307 WDH
                        2023 Reflection 315 RLTS
                        PD5100&Giandel 2200 watt inv.
                        Furrion 50amp Solar Controller 370 watt panel

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                          Howard - are you mission a few screws or did they shear off? In the last photo they look sheared?
                          Are you saying I have a few screws loose? You're not the first!

Seriously, it's fine. Nothing missing.

Comment

Are you saying I have a few screws loose? You're not the first!

Seriously, it's fine. Nothing missing.
                            Yep , but I am worse off - I lost my marbles too......but you all knew that
                            Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                            X