No announcement yet.

UnderBelly Tire damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think several if not all of the new campers come with a Galvanized Metal Piece over the tires.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
      I was surprised to see my 2022 3100RD TT already has metal plates bolted to the floor above the tires. I looked because I planned to add metal preemptively. Wonder how many other GD trailers have the plates.
      I know my 2022 Reflection 303RLS already has the metal panels fastened above the tires and they were noted as a recent upgrade by the factory to help in the event of tire blowouts.
      40-year Camping Enthusiast
      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

I know my 2022 Reflection 303RLS already has the metal panels fastened above the tires and they were noted as a recent upgrade by the factory to help in the event of tire blowouts.
        If you have pictures of how the new 303rls panels looks, would love to see them.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

If you have pictures of how the new 303rls panels looks, would love to see them.
          Ok.... I'll get you some tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, this is correct our Transcend 265BH even had the metal above the wheel, unfortunately it didn't protect much. We had a blowout and the tire tore the metal out pretty easily. But the metal does help protect it against water from the road etc. Its galvanized metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Brian - how did you attache them? Looks like you did a great job too.

Thanks
              Keith
              Nicely Done Brian and thanks for sharing. I'm going to do some measuring and see if I can get that idea to work as well.
              2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Here you go.....Click image for larger version

Name:	20221116_155259.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	99644
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you! So it’s piece of aluminum similar to the solution Tucson Jim and Country Campers posted. What gauge of aluminum I wonder should be used? I am going to do this before our summer trip.

Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                  Demco Recon

Comment

I think its galvanized steel, hence the aluminum looking color.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks
                      I don't see any fastener, so it must be bonded to the floor bottom. From the sharpness of the bed i wold guess is 1/16 or in that thin range - maybe the same material as the electrostatic sheeting they place in the walls as backer - you know they have that material on hand so why nor use it. Being thin it could tear under tire blow out.
                      Beachcamper
                      I would use at least 1/8 and maybe 3/16 depending on the material grade. That's what I am planning when I get round to it. I am going to try and wrap the outside corner too (have the shop bend it) to seal that edge
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, it's probably bonded to the side of the floor via the side wall and tucked under the frame on the other edge. I would guess it's in the gauge scale being well under 1/16".
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Yoda Keith, it's probably bonded to the side of the floor via the side wall and tucked under the frame on the other edge. I would guess it's in the gauge scale being well under 1/16".
                          Yeah I would say that the metal is not very thick. You can feel it's thinness if you push on it from the bottom but as someone who's had tire failures and damage from them...I think it would help some to control the carnage.

Comment

Great feedback everyone. And thanks for all the advice and pictures. Once mine is completed I will be sure to post my finished look. Now that winter is here the finishing look may take a while.
                            2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

Will finally got some decent weather and was able to get the plates put in the wheel wells and repack and inspect the brakes. While repacking the bearing I couldn’t believe how much grease was in these hubs. All four seals showed grease getting by. But only one wheel had some grease on the magnet. Thank goodness.
                              was glad to get these plates installed. My mind still isn’t settle on putting screws through the bottle on the slide side. Even though I used 3/4” screws I’m scared it’s going to get into the slide floor. I think I’m going to hook the batterie back up and slide it out to make sure. Am I worrying for nothing?

Thin gauge metal plates,coated with por15 (best stuff ever) sealed with flex seal and then finished with a bed liner coat.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Awesome looking job Dude. I really like the idea of coating it with bedliner material.

Jim
                                Jim and Ginnie
                                2024 Solitude 310GK
                                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                                X