UnderBelly Tire damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnderBelly Tire damage

Greetings all, Purpose of this post is to get some feedback on possibly the best approach on addressing repairs to the underbelly of my camper that got damaged by a tire blow out. I did some extensive research trying to find a post that indicated a good solution and only found were they patched the damaged area with similar material that is already under the camper.

The crazy part of all this I purchased the TMPS to avoid the issue and this Tire completely blew up for no reason other than a tire failure. (All tires have now been replaced with Goodyear endurance tires).

I had a flat while travel home going 20 MPH and it literally took 5 min to destroy a 12 x 12 area on the underbelly of my camper.

At the amount of damage that a blow out does, it seams that placing a plate would be a better answer than putting material back into the camper under belly the same as it is. I was unable to find any resources that address plating the underbelly in the tire area.

I measured the wheel area, the Back – 46” long x 14” wide, front -46” long x 35 ¾” on each side. To me the best solution is to put thin metal plating there or even aluminum plating if it could hold up to the belts beating on it from the tires.
    Looking at the damage, I see plastic film,1/4” of play wood, 3/4” foam, 1/4” of play wood, then the flooring. Not much to screw to but the very edges around the area and the floor supports. I’m guessing you can find the floor supports with a stud finder.

Has anyone done a repair like this? If so what measure did you take to assure that further damage wasn’t made.
    Last edited by Country Campers; 11-14-2022, 12:10 PM. Reason: changed font to Forum standard
    2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

I did add aluminum to this area a couple years ago, not sure if I posted in a thread or not. I just screwed mine up to the existing floor and sealed the screw holes with silicone. Anything added in this area is a plus for sure. I do not plan to test to see if the aluminum will hold up or not but hopefully it does.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have seen these online but don’t know of anyone that has installed them. They currently won’t work with my tire size. https://rv-de-fender.com
      Scott & Mikaela
      2022 375 RES
      2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

TucsonJim didn't you do something, too?
        Last edited by howson; 11-14-2022, 05:05 PM. Reason: tag disappeared!
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
          I have seen these online but don’t know of anyone that has installed them. They currently won’t work with my tire size. https://rv-de-fender.com
          I did come across that video some time back, and didn't find a lot of feedback about it at the time. First to mind is the cost of doing that and the clearance it would need. It would most likely cut down the extra cost of fixing the sides of the camper if it in fact contained the tire. Would be nice if someone on here has used that and give feedback.
          2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

Dude I know TucsonJim has done this. Here is a discussion from another member, Jim posted some pictures of his install down in the thread:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...de-above-tires
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
              Greetings all, Purpose of this post is to get some feedback on possibly the best approach on addressing repairs to the underbelly of my camper that got damaged by a tire blow out. I did some extensive research trying to find a post that indicated a good solution and only found were they patched the damaged area with similar material that is already under the camper.

The crazy part of all this I purchased the TMPS to avoid the issue and this Tire completely blew up for no reason other than a tire failure. (All tires have now been replaced with Goodyear endurance tires).

I had a flat while travel home going 20 MPH and it literally took 5 min to destroy a 12 x 12 area on the underbelly of my camper.

At the amount of damage that a blow out does, it seams that placing a plate would be a better answer than putting material back into the camper under belly the same as it is. I was unable to find any resources that address plating the underbelly in the tire area.

I measured the wheel area, the Back – 46” long x 14” wide, front -46” long x 35 ¾” on each side. To me the best solution is to put thin metal plating there or even aluminum plating if it could hold up to the belts beating on it from the tires.
              Looking at the damage, I see plastic film,1/4” of play wood, 3/4” foam, 1/4” of play wood, then the flooring. Not much to screw to but the very edges around the area and the floor supports. I’m guessing you can find the floor supports with a stud finder.

Has anyone done a repair like this? If so what measure did you take to assure that further damage wasn’t made.
              Dude
              I have this in my round-to-it list of projects. I have a local sheet metal shop that carry's 1/8" aluminum diamond plat or flat plate ( steel and aluminum). I plan to make templates and have them cut stock to size. I plan to perimeter mount to the frame and bottom outer wall edge that has reinforcement in it as well and the floor support out riggers. Ill probably use 3/4" sheet metal screws/hex bolts to prevent going through the floor. I also plan on using a polyurethane glue to hold the center of the panel in place to the flooring.

I believe others have posted here on what they did.

Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Here is a picture of what I did,
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20210424_143919.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	99494
                Also a picture of what the part I made looks like,
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20210130_073926.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	99495
                Made from 1/16" aluminum, I broke the sides, bent them down, to help shed water. I also had to cut them to avoid the supports and also the slide actuator on the other side which is a thru frame slide.

Brian
                Last edited by Country Campers; 11-14-2022, 05:45 PM.
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Here is a picture of what I did,
                  Click image for larger version Name:	20210424_143919.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	99494
                  Also a picture of what the part I made looks like,
                  Click image for larger version Name:	20210130_073926.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	99495
                  Made from 1/8" aluminum, I broke the sides, bent them down, to help shed water. I also had to cut them to avoid the supports and also the slide actuator on the other side which is a thru frame slide.

Brian
                  Brian - how did you attache them? Looks like you did a great job too.

Thanks
                  Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Brian - how did you attache them? Looks like you did a great job too.

Thanks
                    Keith
                    I used 3/4" stainless screws dipped in silicone before installation, pre drilled holes in the RV prior to attachment. I think I used 6 screws in each piece, 2 at each end and 2 in the middle.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I used 3/4" stainless screws dipped in silicone before installation, pre drilled holes in the RV prior to attachment. I think I used 6 screws in each piece, 2 at each end and 2 in the middle.

Brian
                      I think I see them if I zoom in far enough. I am optically challenged BTW. I like you side angle idea are the about 3/4" long at a 45?.

Thanks
                      Keith

Comment

I was surprised to see my 2022 3100RD TT already has metal plates bolted to the floor above the tires. I looked because I planned to add metal preemptively. Wonder how many other GD trailers have the plates.
                        2022 3100RD
                        2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                        Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
                          I was surprised to see my 2022 3100RD TT already has metal plates bolted to the floor above the tires. I looked because I planned to add metal preemptively. Wonder how many other GD trailers have the plates.
                          Any chance you could take a picture of how GD did it?
                          Thanks
                          Keith

Comment

I think I see them if I zoom in far enough. I am optically challenged BTW. I like you side angle idea are the about 3/4" long at a 45?.

Thanks
                            Keith
                            They are 15" wide with 2" bends down at 30 degrees, also it is only 1/16" thick aluminum, 1/8" would be ok but I did not have that on hand.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Any chance you could take a picture of how GD did it?
                              Thanks
                              Keith
                              The TT is stored 25 miles away. But it is simply metal ( looked like aluminum) that spans the entire width and length of the exposed floor above the tires held in place with what look like 1/4” hex screws. With the large hex fasteners, the metal must be thick. I’d estimate 1/8” at least.
                              2022 3100RD
                              2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                              Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Working...
                              X