Torklift GlowStep Revolution upgrade on my 303

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torklift GlowStep Revolution upgrade on my 303

It’s been an insane year for us, and I’m just getting around to posting this after I installed my Torklift GlowStep Revolution this past spring.

The factory steps gave me sore knees on days when we were packing, cleaning or working on the trailer where I was in and out a lot. Kathy has depth perception issues and struggled to see the steps going down. They also cause the trailer to shake pretty badly when going up and down.

So here is the end product on a level site:

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4048EBA-A202-439C-9D83-E33F9AB8ECC0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.6 KB ID:	99530

Nice and stable, easy to see and easy on the knees. They install in the existing step well using the four carriage bolts that mount the factory steps, so nothing comes inside the trailer.

My trailer is right on the threshold between the three step version and the four step. I originally got the three step, but it was easy to add a step when that turned out to be needed.

I installed them by myself by stacking blocks to hold it up. Fairly easy, though easier with a helper I’m sure. You can see the picture shows the steps before I added the fourth step.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B259BA3F-EDA0-4E82-A470-F5594F9F1AF3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	99528

Here’s a picture showing the steps deployed in an extreme case. The trailer is parked in the driveway as we were heading out. Significant side hill and drop off to the grass.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AA5217C6-B617-4D01-857D-FE49512CBEDA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	99529

I was pleasantly surprised that the “Glow” function isn’t just a gimmick. Very handy.

Deploying the steps takes just a little more thought, but once you do it a couple of times it’s a snap. Here’s a diagram from Torklift showing how the adjustments work:

Click image for larger version  Name:	02.%20Elevation%20Diagram.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.7 KB ID:	99531

A key feature for people who park in tight spaces like truck stops or storage yards is that the steps can be “scrunched” in to look like a step ladder to allow use with an obstruction next to the trailer.

They are a great upgrade to the trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Great write up John, thanks for sharing. We have pondered this a lot over the years but have not done it, maybe this winter will be a good time.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'm glad I installed the Torklift Steps. The four-step version I have has made step rise more 'rational' and I don't have the high first step up of the oem steps.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I installed these steps on my trailer and disliked them so much that I removed them and sent them back. Here are some of the disadvantages that I encountered.

1. To secure the steps during travel, you need to insert a locking pin. Not an easy task with arthritic fingers.
        2. When adjusting the height level with the upper platform, you will wind up with different gaps between the top step and the wall of the RV. This can be a enough for a dog to get their leg stuck in. It also created a visual gap which was unsettling to us when using the steps.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Gap.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	99549

3. It takes much longer to deploy and level the steps. On our OEM steps, it's 5 seconds.
        4. Be careful when storing the steps. If you rush, the locking bar may close and the bail pin inserted but the steps are not fully closed. This could result in step deployment while underway and cause a lot of damage.

Name:	Step Unsecured.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	99550

For pros, the steps are very secure when properly deployed. The "glow" is a nice feature. And the trailer will not rock as much when using them as the OEM steps.

Jim
        Attached Files
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The four-step version would have reduced the gap variation. My little Bishon can negotiate the Torklift with no problem but would not the oem steps.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I wonder if the LCI "Solid Stance" support legs might be a good compromise? https://store.lci1.com/solid-stance-...kit-2020109777 Certainly much less expensive! I think Grand Design was providing these as original equipment on some models . . . but, I do not recall anyone commenting on how well they worked (or didn't work). It appears that the support legs could be deployed only when parked for a while and left folded for short term use.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              I wonder if the LCI "Solid Stance" support legs might be a good compromise? https://store.lci1.com/solid-stance-...kit-2020109777 Certainly much less expensive! I think Grand Design was providing these as original equipment on some models . . . but, I do not recall anyone commenting on how well they worked (or didn't work). It appears that the support legs could be deployed only when parked for a while and left folded for short term use.

Rob
              We've added these and they make a big difference. We're toying with glow steps, mainly for cases wren we have leveling blocks on that side which makes the first step higher. Other than that the solid stance gets the job done for us.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Name:	Oem steps c 2021.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	99566
                Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
                I replaced my Solid Stance with the Torklift. The Solid Stance legs were a pita to deploy and the sharp edges cut me a few times. Since the legs attached near the center of the bottom step, they were not very solid.
                Last edited by TedS; 11-15-2022, 02:03 PM.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                  Since the legs attached near the center of the bottom step, they were not very solid.
                  Hi Ted,

I was wondering about that . . . it would be “normal” to step on the left or right end of the first step and the support is centred ??

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I installed the same Glow Step on my 2022 303rls, hated the contraption that folds into the door. The door isn’t designed for the added shim and doesn’t want to close properly. I have it if someone wants it. Love the glow step, but I do agree it doesn’t take some effort to deploy and store.

Comment

Working...
                    X