Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

Purchase a second year extension to factory GD warranty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase a second year extension to factory GD warranty?

Has anyone purchased through their dealer at time of purchase a second year of GD factory warranty? Is this even available? How much? After patiently waiting, we are finally picking up our new ordered Solitude 390 rk-r on Monday. For some reason, this thought has planted itself in my head. On previous SOB unit purchases, it has been an available option thru the dealer. Would have come in handy on our last unit.
    Dave and Darren
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW, pullrite 2600, timbrens
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles) VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/tasmanian devil furbabies

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
    Has anyone purchased through their dealer at time of purchase a second year of GD factory warranty? Is this even available? How much? After patiently waiting, we are finally picking up our new ordered Solitude 390 rk-r on Monday. For some reason, this thought has planted itself in my head. On previous SOB unit purchases, it has been an available option thru the dealer. Would have come in handy on our last unit.
    I am pretty sure this isn’t available from Grand Design. Your dealer may offer some kind of third party extended warranty, my personal opinion is these are not worth the paper they are printed on. That said, I’m handy and resourceful and make my own repairs. If you’re relying on the dealer for all of your service it might make more sense. My rig hasn’t been to a dealer since I bought it.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28bh
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I agree that this is only a third party warranty , or insurance policy , and will not be thru Grand Design. Most , if not all , of the appliances in the RV will have a 2 year warranty from the manufacture of the appliance. The roof membrane has its own warranty and GD has a longer structure warranty so that does not leave much to get an extended warranty. If you choose any kind of extended warranty please read thru the coverage very carefully. Just like an insurance policy they like to get out of paying. You will more than likely have to make this decision by yourself.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.17 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
      2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

Comment

Thanks for replying. For the record, GD does not offer an extension to their factory warranty. I negotiated the price of a Portfolio extended third party warranty down to where it made sense. I had one of these on our last 5th wheel (made by Forest River). They were very reasonable about approving repairs. We came out ahead $ wise. When you sell your rv, you get a pro rated refund based on time remaining, without consequence of paid claims.
        Dave and Darren

Comment

My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thank you once again for the great information. I didn't realize we could get money back on our extended warranty when we sold our RV. I'm completing the paperwork to do that now for the Micro Minnie we sold.
            John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
            2021 Transcend 260RB

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
            2017 Jayco 26BH
            2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
              Thank you once again for the great information. I didn't realize we could get money back on our extended warranty when we sold our RV. I'm completing the paperwork to do that now for the Micro Minnie we sold.
              Happy to help! Congrats on your new one. just think of all the toys you can buy for it with your refund! Dave
              Dave and Darren

Comment

That's the downside of visiting here. I keep finding things to buy and install.

John
                John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                2021 Transcend 260RB

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                2017 Jayco 26BH
                2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Working...
                X