Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RVSA Vehicle Service Academy (Attendance Notes from howson)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by howson View Post
    Tues, Nov 16 (Day 47)

Didn't make it to the test today--lots of discussion about slide-outs. The school has a Schwintek rail so (naturally) I had to take it apart. (Yes, I got it back together!)
    How coincidental, Guess what broke down yesterday? Went to slide on only one side moved, hmmmm. But it's not your typical problem, I will create a new thread for it. This is going to be fun.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2018 Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport Motorcycle
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
      Wow, your brain must be fried by this stage. So many systems to become an expert at and technology changing daily. Do techs do this overview class and then pick out an area of expertise? What will you hone in on?

BTW after 3 days of online YouTube LCI and other slide out adjustment videos, I am within 1/8” of tolerance for fore/aft retracted and extended measurements. Damn horizontal one….my nemesis
      The mobile guys have limits based on the nature of where they work. There are definitely niches that some build a business around. One recent graduate is already swamped with work as she is willing to work on generators. Apparently most don't like working on them, but she will. So much work she even has an employee already!

I'd also clarify that students are not "experts" on every system discussed. Some of the school is very comprehensive, some is not. I'd call the information "a mile wide and an inch deep." Or as the school likes to say, "exposure brings composure". In other words...gotta get your hands dirty.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'd also clarify that students are not "experts" on every system discussed. Some of the school is very comprehensive, some is not. I'd call the information "a mile wide and an inch deep." Or as the school likes to say, "exposure brings composure". In other words...gotta get your hands dirty.
        Upon receiving my professional certification my instructor told me that you are still an idiot but at least you know where to look stuff up.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2018 Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport Motorcycle
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

"exposure brings composure". In other words...gotta get your hands dirty.
          I like another quote I heard...
          "Confidence...It's that thing you have before you fully understand the situation".

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 Reflection 303RLS, Haloview RD7, Strong-arms, Micro-Air364

Comment

"exposure brings composure". In other words...gotta get your hands dirty.
            The quote that I like (paraphrased from it's recreational marine origin) . . . "It is far better to get your RV repaired by someone who makes their living repairing RVs, than by someone who makes their living selling RVs".

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package (retired)
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Wed, Nov 17 (Day 48)

Finished up on awnings. They aren't difficult to work on (I know from personal experience on my trailer) but they do frequently require more than one person as they are unwieldy once disconnected from the RV. One safety point was emphasized over and over again--use extreme caution when dealing with the (manual) awnings that have spring tensioners. Though not quite as big as garage door openers, the internal springs can (and will) break bones if the pair of vice grips used to hold tension slips out of your hand and spins around on the shaft. No one has reflexes fast enough to move their hand out of the way--the vice grips will smash your hand.

After lunch we had the test (and yes, I passed). Took every ounce of self-control not to argue a question...wording was ridiculous (IMO)...but it just wasn't worth it. The only important thing is I passed.

Then we got into the last section, PDIs. This is a relatively self-explanatory section, so wasn't exactly sure what we could actually cover that was new. After 5 minutes it dawned on me (I'm slow) that Bob was using each area of the RV we should PDI as a way to do a review of the last 9.5 weeks. I quickly transitioned from bored-to-tears to taking notes furiously, because whatever he emphasized I bet will show up on the Final Exam this Friday.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Upon receiving my professional certification my instructor told me that you are still an idiot but at least you know where to look stuff up.
                One of my mentors when I was a young Military Police officer pounded into my head pounded into my heas was to "when you know your right, stand your ground regardless, then If you are not sure, then say so, but be prepared to fine and present the correct answer." The smartest one in the room isn't the one with all of the answers, but to be able to find all of the answers.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, and the new baby kitty Rosie..
                Pilot (Zebulon), NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R

Comment

• Thurs, Nov 18 (Day 49)

Finished up the PDI section and yes--another test. This one was easy, though they do like to play word games with the questions. The world of academia invading RV tech...

The rest of the day was consumed with an intense, rapid-fire review. Needless to say I've got a few hours of studying ahead of me, but a good night's sleep is on the agenda, too. I'm confident of passing the final tomorrow, but me being me--being "good enough" is rarely good enough.

Tomorrow will be the last daily update to this thread from me.

Howard

Comment

• Howard,

You have provided a valuable source of information and an inside scoop of the RV tech world to us in the forum. Really think what you have done is time and effort well spent, and is much appreciated.

Jim
                    2017 Imagine 2600RB
                    2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

• Hi Howard,

This has been an informative 15 page saga. Thank you for taking the time to add your latest updates . . . every day! It has been interesting to learn what an RV tech would be expected to know in each of the areas. Along the way, I have learned a few things that I didn’t know before and more importantly . . . I know who to ask when I need more info.
                      (ie: You )

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package (retired)
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Fri, Nov 19 (Day 50 & End of Class)

The final today was brutal. 350 questions and it was not a cake walk by any means. The good news I passed and it's official--I'm a Certified RV Technician.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211119_152353 (Large).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	70482

For those of you that know me other than just on this forum, you'll probably appreciate what the class decided to put on Bob's plaque.

Name:	20211119_143733 (Large).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	70481

This little assembly represents a LOT of conversations. Note the bug screens as the feet (it was a point of contention)! A classmate made it from stuff he had in his camper, lol.

Name:	20211119_143705 (Large).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	70480

I have some final thoughts on the school, but I'm going to let them percolate for a few days in my cranium. Next task is getting home--well--after a bit of celebrating tonight.

Howard

Comment

• Congratulations! Thanks for the all of the information you have provided throughout the course. Looks like an interesting/good experience but may have been a little too simple/basic at times. Great that you were able to do that!!
                          Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                          2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                          2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Fri, Nov 19 (Day 50 & End of Class)

The final today was brutal. 350 questions and it was not a cake walk by any means. The good news I passed and it's official--I'm a Certified RV Technician.

I have some final thoughts on the school, but I'm going to let them percolate for a few days in my cranium. Next task is getting home--well--after a bit of celebrating tonight.

Howard

Howard - yes, congratulations ! I recall Mike (Rudy) Rudy sharing txts with me when he took and completed the class last fall. It was pretty intensive as you have shared for sometime now.

I too highly appreciated this thread on the class and as Rob shared, I too have learned much ! Also as Rob Cate&Rob shared, I now have a second person person to go to for assistance in "all things RV !"

Enjoy your celebration........well dserved !

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

• howson

Congratulations!!

2017 Imagine 2600RB
                              2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

Fri, Nov 19 (Day 50 & End of Class)

For those of you that know me other than just on this forum, you'll probably appreciate what the class decided to put on Bob's plaque.

Name:	20211119_143733 (Large).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	70481

This little assembly represents a LOT of conversations. Note the bug screens as the feet (it was a point of contention)! A classmate made it from stuff he had in his camper, lol.

Name:	20211119_143705 (Large).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	70480

Howard

Congratulations DR. Howard - we all knew you were certifiable.

Keith

PS I am sure we would like to know more about catching Bob on fire - Twice
                                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 6.0 F350 King Ranch dually - traded in

Comment

Working...
                                X