A Word of Caution for I-95 Through the DC Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Word of Caution for I-95 Through the DC Area

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE I-95 EXPRESS LANES IN VIRGINIA WHILE TOWING A TRAILER!

I have a couple clients in DC and need to travel to there once or twice a week. It never fails that I see at least one unfortunate soul towing an RV down the I-95 express lanes. Those lanes are for two axle vehicles only or commercial buses. When stopped by police, because they watch it like a hawk, you will receive a ticket. The last I heard, it was $250 per axle over two for private or $500 per axle over two for commercial drivers. I saw three drivers pulled over yesterday evening for this in less than a 20 mile stretch and one was pulling a Grand Design trailer.
    Be careful out there y'all and keep your money for fuel not fines!
    2021 Reflection 278BH
    2002 GMC 2500HD

Originally posted by Todd_P View Post
    DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE I-95 EXPRESS LANES IN VIRGINIA WHILE TOWING A TRAILER!

I have a couple clients in DC and need to travel to there once or twice a week. It never fails that I see at least one unfortunate soul towing an RV down the I-95 express lanes. Those lanes are for two axle vehicles only or commercial buses. When stopped by police, because they watch it like a hawk, you will receive a ticket. The last I heard, it was $250 per axle over two for private or $500 per axle over two for commercial drivers. I saw three drivers pulled over yesterday evening for this in less than a 20 mile stretch and one was pulling a Grand Design trailer.
    Be careful out there y'all and keep your money for fuel not fines!
    Todd,

Can you share the general rule in using the express lane? Such as a requirement for passengers more than one? We will be traveling that route next month to OBX but will not be towing our Imagine. Sad because Ocracoke island campground is fabulous.

Jim
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

The rule is, you need to have an ez-pass toll transponder to use the lanes. If you have 3 or more people in the car you can ride toll free only if you have an ez-pass flex transponder and have placed the switch into HOV mode.
      ​​​​​​The lanes go north in the morning and south in the evening.
      2021 Reflection 278BH
      2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Todd_P View Post
        The rule is, you need to have an ez-pass toll transponder to use the lanes. If you have 3 or more people in the car you can ride toll free only if you have an ez-pass flex transponder and have placed the switch into HOV mode.
        ​​​​​​The lanes go north in the morning and south in the evening.
        Thank you Todd.

I have an EZ Pass but there is no switch on the model I have.

Jim
        2017 Imagine 2600RB
        2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

Working...
        X