Brakes to Classic Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes to Classic Cars

Moderator Note: Discussion below went OT in Electric brakes weak on New Imagine 2600RB? thread at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-2600rb/page2 . They were moved here--feel free to continue the discussion as desired. - Howard (Moderator)

Originally posted by Bob Davis2 View Post
    I adjusted the brakes on each of the 4 wheels today. Spinning the wheel and moving the adjuster wheel until I feel the wheel begin to "drag", then back off a click or two of the adjuster. There are a bunch of youtube videos on how to adjust trailer brakes, very helpful. It has been many, many years ago that I adjusted my drum brakes on cars before the advent of disk brakes (60 Chevy, 64 Chevelle, 55 Chevy, etc.). Yes I am an "old". So now I need to back off the gain as Midwest Camper suggested and will see if 6.5 or so will work. Going to take a 3 day trip with the trailer in a week or so and I will report back. Thanks again!
    Bob,

I have a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 and can't bare to get rid of it even though it sits.

Jim
    Last edited by howson; 05-02-2022, 04:57 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Bob,

I have a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 and can't bare to get rid of it even though it sits.

Jim
    Oh man, the 66 and 67's were awesome. My cousin had a 66 I believe, Candy apple red with a white rag top and white interior. 396, Holley dual pumper and Hurst 4 speed, heavy duty clutch. What a ride that was!
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
    Dallas, Texas area

Comment

MidwestCamper -- OK, you've teased us. Let's see the pics.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        MidwestCamper -- OK, you've teased us. Let's see the pics.
        howson Howard,

OK I'm on a mission. I have a recent pick of the trailer queen when I moved it last June to my dads barn. This is my second SS where this one is Tahoe Turquoise. I'll dig it up. I've been busy lately starting a road association where we now live. When was retirement supposed to be about relaxation?? LOL

Update: OK here you go. My first car was a 67 SS in Grenada Gold which my dad gave me when I was 16. Crazy?. This evidentially prepped me for my career years later with GMs performance cars.

I purchased this car when I was 21 where I painted it at that time in a base coat clear coat Lacquer. The old Ohio plate can be seen from before we moved to Michigan and now live back in Ohio. This car was in our wedding in 1980.

Today.....It really needs a new interior and paint but is still in great condition.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jims Chevelle.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	203.3 KB ID:	83694

Jim
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MidwestCamper; 05-01-2022, 10:20 AM.
        2017 Imagine 2600RB
        2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

howson Howard,

OK I'm on a mission. I have a recent pick of the trailer queen when I moved it last June to my dads barn. This is my second SS where this one is Tahoe Turquoise. I'll dig it up. I've been busy lately starting a road association where we now live. When was retirement supposed to be about relaxation?? LOL

Update: OK here you go. My first car was a 67 SS in Grenada Gold which my dad gave me when I was 16. Crazy?. This evidentially prepped me for my career years later with GMs performance cars.

I purchased this car when I was 21 where I painted it at that time in a base coat clear coat Lacquer. The old Ohio plate can be seen from before we moved to Michigan and now live back in Ohio. This car was in our wedding in 1980.

Today.....It really needs a new interior and paint but is still in great condition.

Click image for larger version Name:	Jims Chevelle.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	203.3 KB ID:	83694

Jim
          Been waiting to see the picture for a few years after all our communications/conversations about GM muscle......nice, Jim !

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Swwwweeettt! So cool to have a car with so much family history. You're right about an earlier comment in a previous post--don't ever sell it.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Dan,

This is the latest and best pic since the dust was washed off in a torrential rain storm in getting it moved. Its a 396 cam'ed up, headers, intake, 760 dual pump dual feed mechanical Holley, 4 speed and 4:11.1 final drive. When I first started working on the performance stuff, I brought home a Z06 which my wife said it felt like this car. I agree but that Z06 after the 1/4 mile just keeps on climbing. LOL. It also stops and corners which these cars were not so good at.

Wish you would have kept that Z28.

Jim
              2017 Imagine 2600RB
              2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

Dan,

This is the latest and best pic since the dust was washed off in a torrential rain storm in getting it moved. Its a 396 cam'ed up, headers, intake, 760 dual pump dual feed mechanical Holley, 4 speed and 4:11.1 final drive. When I first started working on the performance stuff, I brought home a Z06 which my wife said it felt like this car. I agree but that Z06 after the 1/4 mile just keeps on climbing. LOL. It also stops and corners which these cars were not so good at.

Wish you would have kept that Z28.

Jim
                My apologies to the OP, Bob Bob Davis2 for getting off topic. Jim, as you know, after owning the 67 Z for nearly 50 years it was time. Recall, my nephew (a big car guy) bought the car and I get to drive it as he lives just a few miles away. The motor is re-built and he will complete some other items. May not do a complete frame off resto but the car is in outstanding condition living in the garage for 50 years and CA before that. It was an incredible investment and will be for him as well.

Now hoping my new 23 C8 will be here this fall !

We may want to have a new thread (if this topic is even allowed on the forum) rather than messing up Bob's thread.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

My apologies to the OP, Bob Bob Davis2 for getting off topic. Jim, as you know, after owning the 67 Z for nearly 50 years it was time. Recall, my nephew (a big car guy) bought the car and I get to drive it as he lives just a few miles away. The motor is re-built and he will complete some other items. May not do a complete frame off resto but the car is in outstanding condition living in the garage for 50 years and CA before that. It was an incredible investment and will be for him as well.

We may want to have a new thread (if this topic is even allowed on the forum) rather than messing up Bob's thread.

Dan
                  LOL I see this is a new thread which is good. Apologies to Bob. Dan you will love that C8. The base C8 at an 11.1 1/4 mile ET with wet clutch DCT is plenty for a street car. Its a bargain IMO.

Anyone else with a pic of their toy to share?

Jim
                  2017 Imagine 2600RB
                  2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

MidwestCamper -- I only dream about fancy (and fast) cars. My first car was an 'old 70-something Duster a friend gave to me. (All I had was a Honda CM400T motorcycle to get to work--you can see by the picture why that was an issue.)

The gas gauge in that 'ol Plymouth didn't work, driver's seat was held up with a 2x4, exhaust suspended by a clothes hangar...I could go on and on. Couldn't kill that straight six, though. I honestly don't ever remember changing the oil.

For those who know her, that is a (much younger) DW behind the wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	POS.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	83803

Comment

Howard,

My parents and my sister also had Dusters with the 225 slant 6. Three of them over time.

The slant 6 was a very good engine, but why put the distributor on the under side of that slant? LOL

Awesome pic of the DW in that car, but what's with the snow?

Jim
                      2017 Imagine 2600RB
                      2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

Howard,

My parents and my sister also had Dusters with the 225 slant 6. Three of them over time.

The slant 6 was a very good engine, but why put the distributor on the under side of that slant? LOL

Awesome pic of the DW in that car, but what's with the snow?

Jim
                        Notice how the car is sliding? DW's got a big 'ol grin on her face as the car (slowly) heads for the curb.

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Dan
                          No apologies neccessary! It's all good stuff! Grew up in the "muscle car" era. If I didn't have so many other hobbies, I would love to buy a restored '55 or '56 chevy for sure.

2022 Imagine 2600RB
                          F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
                          Dallas, Texas area

Comment

I'll toss in my summer cruizin' ride
                            440, 4 speed
                            Edit Guess I should add its a Dodge Challenger...... not everybody knows the names of the musclecars
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC8162.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	83857
                            Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 05-04-2022, 06:09 AM.
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            2021 Reflection 303RLS, Haloview RD7, Strong-arms, Micro-Air364

Comment

Working...
                            X