Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 6.7 F350 owners - Whats wacky in the photo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
    The turbo is not on top of the motor?

Brian
    I was going to vote the knuten valve is mounted sideways.

Comment

Chrome moly muffler bearing.

Many times a noise can be isolated by using a piece of 1/2 copper pipe or something similar and by safely touching several components and having another do the shutdown. Listen into the tube which will amplify the noise.

A mechanics stethoscope is best but a simple piece of tubing can be used.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52750-S...5493169&sr=8-5

Jim
      Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-17-2022, 02:13 PM.
      2017 Imagine 2600RB
      2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post

I was going to vote the knuten valve is mounted sideways.
        I was thinking piston return springs.....or muffler bearings....or a mis-aligned saddle-over-bindelrotor....
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 Reflection 303RLS, Haloview RD7, Strong-arms, Micro-Air364

Comment

It might be the sloshing of the blinker fluid through the duck valve between the blinker and the reservoir.

On a more realistic note, some of the trucks pump the DEF back into the tank after the engine is stopped to prevent freezing of the highly purified water and horse urine in the line causing rupture.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

You guys are just a whole lot of help . LOL!

Jlawles2 Joseph . . . "sloshing of the blinker fluid through the duck valve between the blinker and the reservoir." is the best suggestion yet!

I have watched the engine during shut down and there are two of these "duck quacking" noises. The louder one on the driver's side and a similar quieter one towards the passenger side.
            There is nothing visibly moving . . . but, OK MidwestCamper Jim . . . I will dig out my mechanic's stethoscope and report back .

Thanks for all the "help" . . .

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, you may not be able to see the movement of the air valve depending on how the actuator is setup. Pay close attention to the boost tubes for large areas that could be valves. There may be one pre turbo and one post turbo. Also, I think Ford at one time had a funny valve on the intake system that would bypass the turbo at idle. These were known failure points and Ford may have chose to not use them any longer.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Although my 05 lacked the fine engineering of that band there was an injector harness with a similar potential rub that I used a split piece of rubber hose an a couple of zip ties to eliminate. I just loved being a beta tester for a 10k option on my truck. I love the diesel power but I am done with modern light duty diesels.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                  Although my 05 lacked the fine engineering of that band there was an injector harness with a similar potential rub that I used a split piece of rubber hose an a couple of zip ties to eliminate. I just loved being a beta tester for a 10k option on my truck. I love the diesel power but I am done with modern light duty diesels.
                  Your 6.6L based on simplicity should serve you well. No Stop Start, No AFM or DFM, just simple power to your point. Being retired and not driving much unless we take trips makes the 6.6L a desirable option. But I will stay in the half ton category with our little Imagine which today has obvious benefits. Plan to purchase MY23 the GM LZ0 light duty diesel (if one can be had) and most likely will get the extended warrantee since this system is complex and labor is expensive. I'm too old and wear too much surgical stainless to do major work on vehicles anymore should the need arise.

With over 30mpg even at todays fuel prices, the LM2/LZ0 light duty diesel is a gem.

Jim
                  2017 Imagine 2600RB
                  2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

I hope it lives up to the hype. The LZO has the potential to be a solid choice for those that still use their trucks for something other than a Starbucks run.
                    I doubt I would have gotten the gas 6.6 were it not for the absence of AFM/DFM. It drove me nuts on my 2018 Silverado 5.3, Based on my experience with it and several long trips it was far from seamless and I honestly doubt it produces any real world MPG improvement. That truck thankfully was a lease, if it hadnt been I would have paid someone to restore it back to the good oie bulletproof 5.3

I worked on the Cruze yesterday since the weather was so nice I decided to do a brake fluid flush and a little rustproofing in the driveway. Even with the nice weather I am still paying for it today. My days of working on trucks, laying on the cold concrete outside while it snows are LOOOONG gone.
                    Last edited by familytruckster4; 06-20-2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                      I hope it lives up to the hype. The LZO has the potential to be a solid choice for those that still use their trucks for something other than a Starbucks run.
                      I doubt I would have gotten the gas 6.6 were it not for the absence of AFM/DFM. It drove me nuts on my 2018 Silverado 5.3, Based on my experience with it and several long trips it was far from seamless and I honestly doubt it produces any real world MPG improvement. That truck thankfully was a lease, if it hadnt been I would have paid someone to restore it back to the good oie bulletproof 5.3

I worked on the Cruze yesterday since the weather was so nice I decided to do a brake fluid flush and a little rustproofing in the driveway. Even with the nice weather I am still paying for it today. My days of working on trucks, laying on the cold concrete outside while it snows are LOOOONG gone.
                      LOL. I feel your pain. AFM is better today and to your point there are instances it does little for fuel economy such in hill country IMO. But in flat land, it can approach 30mpg on a long flat run. Not bad for a V8 half ton where folks out in Nebraska may be happy with the fuel economy gains from AFM or Rams MDS.
                      I personally have made 24mpg on a 60 mile run to Toledo on Rt 2 at 55 mph while trying for good fuel economy. So there is variation with demographics and driving habits. Transitions from 8 to 4 and back are better today but there are dongles that can kill it for 50 bucks with no mods for those that do not like it. Same for stop start where initial offerings from all makers has been rough auto starts and stops. Officially SS is a 4% savings but this depends on many factors and its not going away. In fact its already on many diesels such as the LM2/LZ0 but it has a button to turn it off. Auto companies acquire billions in carbon credits for this feature, so its here to stay.

Your 6.6L and Fords 7.3L are simple and simple in the long run can save cash in high odometer values.

Jim
                      2017 Imagine 2600RB
                      2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

I just love it when bureaucrats force engineering on products because it always works out soooooooo well.

Comment

Stop Start has many inhibits so it does not always shut down like folks may think. Trans, Engine, and Cabin temp are just a few of around 30 reasons. I always hoped for smart red lights and an electrified freeway system where hybrids could operate in the country on petroleum and run on electricity for high speed runs. But to your point and to avoid politics, its easy to force everything upon the auto industry while having no skin in the game.

So Stop Start in city traffic and smart red lights could safe millions of gallons of crude. Imagine what an electrified freeway could save.

Jim
                          2017 Imagine 2600RB
                          2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

Good point about having no skin in the game.

The 5.3 with the AFM did not have the torque in 4 cylinder mode to propel the truck at freeway speeds on anything other than a flat windless scenario or a downhill. Because of this it would pick back and forth frequently. I watched the mileage monitor and the instant MPG and noted a downward spike in MPG every time it went into or out of 4 cylinder mode. Assuming this is accurate it would take some distance of higher MPG in 4 cylinder to counteract the downward spike during the cylinder drop. Unfortunately the instant MPG would go from around 22 in 8 cyl mode to only 23 when in 4 cylinder mode. Hardly a solid gain and likely not enough to even make the deactivation worthwhile since it wont stay in that mode for long.
                            I thought it was silly for it to be enabled when in tow/haul also. That was even more annoying when towing.
                            Last edited by familytruckster4; 06-22-2022, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Yoda Asked to close this topic as it's been resolved.
                              Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28bh
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X