Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Imagine XLS 23LDE Galley cupboard drawers - do they fly open during travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Imagine XLS 23LDE Galley cupboard drawers - do they fly open during travel?

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with galley cupboards and drawers flying open? We’re just getting delivery of our unit and were just wondering, given these cabinets and drawers that will have small appliances, dishes etc, are forward facing. Think we’ll be proactive and try to better secure them for transport but thought I’d check to see if anyone had any thoughts, experience or have had issues with them opening during travel and spilling their contents.

Originally posted by LaRoys View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with galley cupboards and drawers flying open? We’re just getting delivery of our unit and were just wondering, given these cabinets and drawers that will have small appliances, dishes etc, are forward facing. Think we’ll be proactive and try to better secure them for transport but thought I’d check to see if anyone had any thoughts, experience or have had issues with them opening during travel and spilling their contents.
    Yes on very rough roads this can be an issue. Rear Kitchens are noted for this issue. Pack can goods forward on the floor and only put light stuff above and don't put heavy things the the drawers. I had one with spare batterys in it.

My Alaska trip broke the back supports on the door side drawers, and I plan to use child locks to prevent future issues. I need to rebuild this cabinet and will post in the future. I believe the open weighted drawers caused the damage. I also had condiments bounce out of the upper cupboard ( yep huge mess and my packing error)), so how you pack can make a difference. I posted about my issues at the other place if you are interested.

Hope this helps
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel, SteadyFast system, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL), B&W 25K OEM Companion

Comment

Heavy braking will cause the inertia of heavy objects in drawers and cabinets to push forward. The cabinet latches are not strong enough to hold. About the only solution is to add child proof closures and restraints inside cabinets.
      2022 3100RD
      2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
      Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

We had this problem with our drawers on the peninsula and went with sliding door locks. The child restraints would certainly Click image for larger version  Name:	20191119 Hook and Eye.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.8 KB ID:	94071 work, we just didn't want to have mess with them when we opened the drawers on purpose. Attached is the photo of the latch we used, they have enough play to mount to the cabinet frame and the drawer front without any blocking and the black blinds in pretty good with the cabinets color.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRoys View Post
          A clever solution I spotted in ncitro's FIL's camper was the use of small "boat cleats" mounted on either side of a custom cabinet. I believe a bungee cord is used to connect the cleats during travel to keep the doors of the cabinet shut. (I didn't take a picture--sorry!)
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

A clever solution I spotted in ncitro's FIL's camper was the use of small "boat cleats" mounted on either side of a custom cabinet. I believe a bungee cord is used to connect the cleats during travel to keep the doors of the cabinet shut. (I didn't take a picture--sorry!)
            Here you go Howard:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3477.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	94499
            Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28bh
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I remember back several hundred moons ago (1982 model motor home) all of the doors had a "latch handle" meaning to open the door you had to pull the handle to release the spring loaded latch. The drawers were a bit different in the fact that they were single rear center roller. To latch them, they simply cut a notch in the front of the drawer sides the thickness of the face frame plus a touch (1/8") and up about 3/8". To open the drawer lift, then pull. No lift, and it would not extend. None of those ever moved during travel, including the unpaved 2 plus mile trek literally through the creek (ok over its bridge that was known to move during rain events) over the hills, bouncing off the boulders in the road.

I wonder if something like https://www.amazon.com/NAIERDI-Keyle...781336&sr=8-63 could be used with the drawers /doors in the campers as a security latch requiring no special tools or other devices to disengage when needing access.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

There are a number of marine latches similar to the ones linked by Jlawles2 Joseph. Older boats often had the “lift to open” system that he describes. When I rebuilt the galley on our boat, I used inexpensive 12V automotive door lock actuators on drawers and doors. These push a pin through a hole. The hole can be much larger than the pin and still keep the drawer in place, so that alignment is not critical. All wired to a single switch (with an indicator light) and pushing one button locks or unlocks all drawers and cabinets.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

X2 Yoda . Its a combination of how you pack and the flimsy construction of the drawer bottoms and the violence at the back of the rig (no issues with drawer backs). Also why bike racks are questionable at the back of the rig.

Our rear bath had a drawer bottom failure where the drawer there used for the wife's stuff pulled out with the small staples that once held it together. Items placed there will result in impact loading even though these items may be no heavier than a small bottle of shampoo and conditioner.

Jim
                  Last edited by MidwestCamper; 09-10-2022, 01:36 PM.
                  2017 Imagine 2600RB
                  2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

Working...
                  X