Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-up camera issues

Hi everyone,

i just purchased a 2023 GD Reflection 303RLS. Love it. I upgraded from a 2014 Keystone Cougar 27RKS I purchased in 2013.

Been having some issues getting the rear camera to connect with my phone. Instructions provide no help when things don’t go as planned. And the dealership could spell “camera” (I assume) and could point to it if asked. That was the extent of their ability to help.

Any magic I need to know (swinging a dead chicken over my head while dancing on my left foot…) to get it working? I cant get the WiFi signal “INSIGHT_1F1FA7” from the camera - even with my lights on (if that even matters).

I understand the phone as a backup camera screen leaves something to be desired… But before ?I invest in a dedicated screen I want to be sure the thing actually works.

Looking forward to some great camping experiences.

David

2023 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW

What is the model of camera? Is it for sure a WIFI enabled model?

With all of the changes with product suppliers in the last few years it is hard to keep track of all of the different items in an RV.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by David_swnsn View Post
      Hi everyone,

i just purchased a 2023 GD Reflection 303RLS. Love it. I upgraded from a 2014 Keystone Cougar 27RKS I purchased in 2013.

Been having some issues getting the rear camera to connect with my phone. Instructions provide no help when things don’t go as planned. And the dealership could spell “camera” (I assume) and could point to it if asked. That was the extent of their ability to help.

Any magic I need to know (swinging a dead chicken over my head while dancing on my left foot…) to get it working? I cant get the WiFi signal “INSIGHT_1F1FA7” from the camera - even with my lights on (if that even matters).

I understand the phone as a backup camera screen leaves something to be desired… But before ?I invest in a dedicated screen I want to be sure the thing actually works.

David

In line with Brian's train of thought, do you even have a camera mounted? All GD provides withe the unit is the Furrion camera mount - no camera provided. So unless the dealer actually included a camera with your purchase you don't have one. I know the mount sure does look like a camera. Your not the first to miss this.

So doing the chicken dance wont help much. However on the up side there are numerous threads here on cameras and what works. I had a Furrion and it did not work well for me. I now have a Vision works that does good.

Hope this helps
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

My 2022 came with the insight camera. I could not get it to work consistently and decided I did not to use my phone as the monitor. Since the camera was suspect IMHO I purchased a Haloview BT system for close to what the monitor for the insight would have cost me. This is my second Haloview setup and they work great.
        Nels & Vanessa
        2022 Reflection 31MB
        2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

But before ?I invest in a dedicated screen I want to be sure the thing actually works.

David -- see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ar-view-camera

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

David
            In line with Brian's train of thought, do you even have a camera mounted? All GD provides withe the unit is the Furrion camera mount - no camera provided. So unless the dealer actually included a camera with your purchase you don't have one. I know the mount sure does look like a camera. Your not the first to miss this.

So doing the chicken dance wont help much. However on the up side there are numerous threads here on cameras and what works. I had a Furrion and it did not work well for me. I now have a Vision works that does good.

Hope this helps
            Keith
            Yes, i have a camera. The ssid that is requested by the app matches the one on the camera sticker.
            David & Lucie
            2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              What is the model of camera? Is it for sure a WIFI enabled model?

With all of the changes with product suppliers in the last few years it is hard to keep track of all of the different items in an RV.

Brian
              It is the Lippert Insight. It is supposed to be WiFi enabled. I suspect that it does not have any power….
              David & Lucie
              2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                Thanks for the reference
                Last edited by David_swnsn; 03-29-2023, 03:08 PM. Reason: Typo
                David & Lucie
                2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

As some has been wired to the marker lights you will need to have those on for powering the camera, tow vehicle lights set to on not auto.

nprario has some good experience above, as well as the link posted.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I don't have a lot to offer to help you, but the humor in your post was hilarious in my opinion.
                    If you replace the camera in your trailer I can second the opinion that the haloview is a very good camera to purchase. I have the RD7 and it is flawless...... so far. Haven't had to sacrifice a chicken while dancing on my left foot to get it to work yet...... lol
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Hi everyone,

David

I had a hard time getting the backup camera on my ‘22 303RLS to work with my ‘22 Ram. It turns out that some (not sure about yours) of the newer trucks use a PWM circuit to control the output to the lights. Since the backup camera is powered by the marker lights, the PWM signal can cause glitches with the camera. Mine would not connect at all. A simple test is to use a jumper wire on the 7 pin connector to jump the 12v supply to the running lights. This will give you a clean 12v supply from the trailer’s battery. As soon as I did that, the camera connected.

There are a couple of different 7pin adaptors available online that connect between your truck and trailer 7 pin connector. Again, not sure if this applies to your truck but jumping pin 4 to pin 3 makes for an easy test.

Click image for larger version

Name:	403155F1-BEEC-4940-87D9-518815B74753.png
Views:	447
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	109295
                      2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
                      2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
                      YouTube Chanel

Comment

Yes, i have a camera. The ssid that is requested by the app matches the one on the camera sticker.
                        OOPS
                        Learned something new that GD is providing cameras. Sorry about that. Hope you get it sorted out.

Keith

Me thinks I need to find the dunce cap and exit stage right
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jomani View Post

I had a hard time getting the backup camera on my ‘22 303RLS to work with my ‘22 Ram. It turns out that some (not sure about yours) of the newer trucks use a PWM circuit to control the output to the lights. Since the backup camera is powered by the marker lights, the PWM signal can cause glitches with the camera. Mine would not connect at all. A simple test is to use a jumper wire on the 7 pin connector to jump the 12v supply to the running lights. This will give you a clean 12v supply from the trailer’s battery. As soon as I did that, the camera connected.

There are a couple of different 7pin adaptors available online that connect between your truck and trailer 7 pin connector. Again, not sure if this applies to your truck but jumping pin 4 to pin 3 makes for an easy test.

Click image for larger version  Name:	403155F1-BEEC-4940-87D9-518815B74753.png Views:	24 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	109295
                          Thanks, I suspect that this is the issue. I will try the jumper to confirm. I think I can make a small rectifier circuit that will supply a constant voltage from the PWM signal (I am a retired automotive electrical engineer). If I can get that to work I will let everyone know what I did.

David
                          Last edited by David_swnsn; 03-30-2023, 10:26 AM. Reason: Typo (as usual)
                          David & Lucie
                          2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Thanks, I suspect that this is the issue. I will try the jumper to confirm. I think I can make a small rectifier circuit that will supply a constant voltage from the PWM signal (I am a retired automotive electrical engineer). If I can get that to work I will let everyone know what I did.

David
                            There is a know issue with the PWM not supplying the camera correctly. https://furrion.com/products/vision-...h-power-switch I suspect that they just jumped the power wire to the marker lights in one of the ends.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

There is a know issue with the PWM not supplying the camera correctly. https://furrion.com/products/vision-...h-power-switch I suspect that they just jumped the power wire to the marker lights in one of the ends.
                              Joesph,

Thanks for the post. I checked the running lights pin on the trailer connector at the truck using an oscilloscope. I did not see any PWMming. I was not connected to the trailer at the time. My trailer sits at a storage facility >20 miles away. As a result, I don’t get out there as often as I would like (>$10 in gas and 1 hour of travel time). I will be going out there this week to install some stuff. I will check the camera for power then.

I hope that you are right. This would be a much less painful fix than rewiring the rig. That would be a dealer item (as it is brand new, under warranty).

Best regards,
                              David & Lucie
                              2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X