Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Post...

Good morning, everyone.

This is my first post to GD Forum, I look forward to learning all I can about our new 337RLS as we prepare for our next chapter and retirement in a short while. I see this forum has many active experts, I hope your good and bad experiences will help guide my updates as we prepare our rig for a variety of travel and destinations.

Over my career as a building inspection supervisor, I've often expressed: If I can change what you know, you will change what you do". So here I am as your student, I look forward to learning your wisdom (experiences) to help make our journey the best to can be!

My question to all you seasoned road warriors, what are the first three (3) things you did to either add, modify, or upgraded (non-factory) as part of your initial setup? If you can share some pics, those are always helpful.

Our rig has all the factory options including the various packages, 2nd A/C, 16 cu ft fridge, etc... (no king bed - that will get upgrade asap)

Thank you all from your newest GD Forum member.

2023 Chev 2500HD Duramax
    2022 GD Reflections 337RLS

I wish you all a blessed day.
    KB​
    KB​
    2023 Chev 2500HD Duramax

krbarthel

First thing -- please check out the Welcome Letter linked off the home page. There's a lot of tips on how to get the most from your time here on the forum. (I entered your data into your signature line for you.)

What would I do with a brand new rig...restricted to the "top three". Hmmm...this should be an interesting thread.

1) Install a hardwired EMS. I've had very good service from the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in my 315RLTS. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...a-2019-315rlts

2) Install a Victron BMV-712 (or SmartShunt) as part of a long-term plan to install a complete Victron system (inverter, etc). Yes, even if my GDRV came with a Furrion battery monitor I'd replace it immediately with the Victron. Lots of YouTube videos easily found. A few sample installations in this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...electrical-box

3) Replace the steps with Torklift Glowsteps. My wife (and pup) are huge fans. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...n-a-19-315rlts

If you want to read more about what folks have done to their rigs, learn how to do an Advanced Search here on the forum for threads tagged with Modification. You'll learn where to find the information on how to do this search in the Welcome Letter (hint, hint!)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome KB.

A lot of added components and modifications will depend on how you plan to use the RV. For example, we do a lot of camping without the benefit of hookups. So we focused on being able to extend our camping time by adding solar.

And just to show we're not running in lock-step with each other, I agree whole heartedly on Howard's first two recommendations. But I disagree on the Torklift steps. I had a set for evaluation and really disliked them. I'm not sure which steps you're rig will come equipped with, but I'd try them out for a while before changing. We're still running with our original Lippert steps and haven't found any we like better.

howson (Howard) mentioned getting the EMS for your electrical system. Another great item to purchase right away is a decent water pressure regulator and filter system. Many parks have very high water pressure which can damage the plumbing in your unit and cause a leak. A water pressure regulator will help to prevent this.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I agree with TucsonJim, many of your mods/upgrades are dependent on how you "camp" and what makes you comfortable. Before you invest a big bag of money in modifications (and you can very easily) spend some time in your rig. It will speak to you! Chances are everything on your list of adds and changes has a write-up somewhere herein.

Mike
        Last edited by NoPeeking; 04-23-2023, 12:26 PM.
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I would suggest, along with waiting and seeing how you will use the RV, is to learn about it as much as you can. When going full time fixing things on your own might be key. Tear that new rig apart and see what is inside. There is a removable panel in the pass thru storage that "hides" a lot of the systems that your RV relies on. The back side of the Nautilus panel, back of the water heater, water pump, converter, plumbing lines, all that is behind that panel. Also inside the RV learn the power distribution panel. This has the 12 v dc and 120 v ac system in it. Learning all of these systems and possibly how to repair them will give you an edge to make repairs while on the road and not rely on a mobile tech or a dealer.
          After that think of how you will use the RV, only full hook up sites you will not need much more than has already been suggested. Going off grid or dry camping, battery bank, solar, inverter, portable water transportation, and others will be good upgrades. I will agree with the EMS as good first item to add. Water pressure and filter is also important.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I agree with most of what has been said above. Being full time ourselves I would say my top three would be.
            1. EMS
            2. Good mattress
            3. Water filter, water softener, & pressure regulator.
            I feel like all the rest are dependent on how you plan to use it. We have only had a few nights in ours without full hookups so solar and a large battery bank have not been high on my list of upgrades/modifications but having peace of mind about what the power situation and water are makes me sleep much better!!
            Scott & Mikaela
            2022 375 RES
            2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Great advice on this thread. Interesting that “protecting your rig from campground services” is top of mind. EMS and water pressure. I completely agree that a good mattress should be high on the list. Upsizing to a king mattress will really restrict space around the bed . . . think this one through carefully. Water pressure . . . the regulator on the inlet hose has little to do with the pressures seen within the RV water system, because there is a check valve on the water inlet isolating the RV water system from the pressure regulator. Install a $15 pressure gauge T’d into any cold water line and you will know far more about how your water system is operating than most who are guessing at symptoms and causes.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
                2. Good mattress
                Yep--definitely in the top three. I'd do that before the steps. How easy it is to forget...

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...d-modification

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You belong to a wonderful forum with lots of good helpful folks here.

Top 3 items.

a good EMS system. We have the portable progressive EMS-PT50X​.

water pressure regulator

a Twist-On Waste Valve, Mess-Free Waste Valve.
                  we have the
                  Valterra one. It’s your last line of defense.

coops

Cooper
                  2021 303RLS
                  2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

Comment

Agree with most here, everyone's needs are different.

1. Mattress
                    2. Lithium battery(s) I am firm believer even if you don't dry camp everyone should get at least one. If you always camp with hookups skip the converter and live with it at 80%, if you dry camp get more and change the converter.
                    3. Inverter, depends on your camping style but it's great for dry camping and we love cooking dinner in the crock pot while driving on long drive days.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by krbarthel View Post
                      Good morning, everyone.

This is my first post to GD Forum, I look forward to learning all I can about our new 337RLS as we prepare for our next chapter and retirement in a short while. I see this forum has many active experts, I hope your good and bad experiences will help guide my updates as we prepare our rig for a variety of travel and destinations.

Over my career as a building inspection supervisor, I've often expressed: If I can change what you know, you will change what you do". So here I am as your student, I look forward to learning your wisdom (experiences) to help make our journey the best to can be!

My question to all you seasoned road warriors, what are the first three (3) things you did to either add, modify, or upgraded (non-factory) as part of your initial setup? If you can share some pics, those are always helpful.

Our rig has all the factory options including the various packages, 2nd A/C, 16 cu ft fridge, etc... (no king bed - that will get upgrade asap)

Thank you all from your newest GD Forum member.

2023 Chev 2500HD Duramax

I wish you all a blessed day.
                      KB​
                      Welcome to the forum, totally agree with everyone response to your question. You will find many hours of reading here and great advice. I find my self tabbing through posts a lot mainly because i like gaining knowledge just in case it happens to me. Safe travels to you and many blessings
                      2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

I'll add some really basic equipment to the list: Wheel chocks sized for the trailer's tires. Blocking for under low side tires and landing and stabilizing jacks. Enough sewer line to reach from the drain connection to the farthest end of the trailer, and beyond (same with the water supply hose). RV parks all seem to have a different interpretation of level, both longitudinal and transverse, and you can never be certain where the utility hookups will be in relation to the trailer's connection points.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                        X