Electric Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Brakes

I am a newbie to grand design. It has been 20 years since I have owned an rv. There have been a lot of changes on RVs since then. I have a brand new 2022 transcend Explorer. Just trying to find out if this trailer has the adjusting brakes. I was told by the dealer that it did and that you should back to adjust them. But everything I read says that they adjust when you drive forward and apply the brakes.

Grand Design has been putting self adjusting brakes on their RVs for quite a while. These will adjust while moving forward.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Colodman Welcome to our Grand Design owners technical forum. Please see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...welcome-letter for info on this forum and how to set up your signature, etc.

The brakes on your new RV are fundamentally the same as on your last trailer 20 years ago. They may quite likely have auto adjusters but, with supply chain variations, this is not a sure thing. There will be a Dexter or LCI label on the centre of the axle tube. With this information you can contact the axle manufacturer for exact details.

If you have auto adjusters, they definitely adjust in the forward direction, unlike automobile adjusters which work when reversing. It is unfortunate that your dealer does not understand this. The correct process on a new trailer is to manually adjust the brakes and then burnish the shoes through a series of brake applies. This info should be in your owners manual.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

A p.s. on Rob's response, while you're under the trailer looking at the label on the axel tube, Colodman, take a picture of it and any other labels or tags that you see. Once you extract yourself from under the trailer, take pictures of any other labels, tags, or stickerts that you can find on the outside or inside of the trailer.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
        X