Newbie to Grand Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to Grand Design

Hey everyone! We are so excited to get our 17MKE in a couple of weeks. But we have so much to learn. We've never towed before, know nothing about solar, but are eager to learn. We're up in Canada so our camping season is a short one. Any help, suggestions or advice will always be welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Chris and Kelly

Originally posted by Hurt70 View Post
    Hey everyone! We are so excited to get our 17MKE in a couple of weeks. But we have so much to learn. We've never towed before, know nothing about solar, but are eager to learn. We're up in Canada so our camping season is a short one. Any help, suggestions or advice will always be welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Chris and Kelly
    There's a lot to learn, that's for sure! Best "tip" I can give you is to read through the Welcome Letter and take a few moments to learn how to search this forum (including Reference LIbrary and Modification threds).

If you can't find what an answer to a specific question, then fire away--that's why we're here.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Chris and Kelly
      Check out the 17MKE facebook group also. Lots of tips and info there
      2023 Imagine 17MKE
      2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost Hybrid

Comment

Right off the bat I will say to research what hitch you want to use. A trailer that size could use a friction sway control but there are better choices out there. I will say from experience that the dealers often will try to sell what is the most profitable for them, I would measure this with your level of trust and objectivity of the people youre dealing with. If the dealer sets the hitch up for you I would expect that you will need to adjust the settings after you load it with your personal items. Make sure you get a set of instructions with the hitch so that you can make the changes needed. An empty trailer will tow much different than one thats loaded for a trip.
        Congratulations

Scott
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Welcome! There are many great YouTube videos for RV first timers. Things like essential equipment to bring. Important things to check before towing, and how to set up and break down your camp site. I would definitely start there. This forum will be immensely valuable when you have slightly more specific questions about your new rig to!
          2023 Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE
          2023 Ford F-350 12,000 lb GVRW w/tow tech package

Comment

Chris and Kelly
            Welcome
            Best suggestion I can offer is grab, or borrow an bunch of soccer cones and find an empty parking lot, fair grounds, etc. and lay out a few turns and camp sites and practice, practice practice. Also remember take wide turns at corners as the trailer will track inside your TV. Also watch and measure your trailer tail swing as you turn. What I am trying to say is in a turn the rear end of the trailer will swing out. This can be an issue on some campgrounds depending on where they placed the site marker posts, etc..Just watch your mirrors and take it slow. You will also find here helpful check lists for arrival and departure. Use the search feature and read the welcome letter.

Tip - for backing place your hand at the 6PM position. which ever way you move it the rear of the trailer will go.

Safe travels
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

One advantage is, I have ample experience driving large vehicles. I drive a 28 foot delivery truck quite regularly. So making turns and backing up may not take me as long to learn. I'm sure there is a learning curve with a trailer on a hitch, but I'm a quick learner. Ita all the other things, like levelling and flushing tanks and storing when not using. So much to learn. So glad you all are here to help. Thank you in advance!!!

Comment

Use the movie "RV" with Robin Williams as a cautionary tale for anything tank related.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                X