No announcement yet.

Tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoda -- I do find it interesting that most places do not balance trailer tires. I had a bad experience when I tried to get it done as the weights fell off the rim during sharp turns while backing. For those interested there's a good thread on topic here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tire-balancing

My solution was to install Centramatic dynamic balancers. Do they make a difference? On my Goldwing motorcycle -- absolutely. On the trailer? Only evidence is anecdotal. For those interested, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-a-19-315rlts

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Yoda -- I do find it interesting that most places do not balance trailer tires. I had a bad experience when I tried to get it done as the weights fell off the rim during sharp turns while backing. For those interested there's a good thread on topic here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tire-balancing

My solution was to install Centramatic dynamic balancers. Do they make a difference? On my Goldwing motorcycle -- absolutely. On the trailer? Only evidence is anecdotal. For those interested, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-a-19-315rlts

Howard

Interesting - with our aluminum rims they should be using tape weights and center dynamic balance. That's what Discount Tire has always done for me. However I did notice a rim clip weight on the replacement tire I got in Whitehorse on the Alaska trip now that you mention it.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I had my TPMS sensors installed yesterday and got the wheels back on the trailer last evening. It was frustrating since I could only get 2 of the sensors to wake up using my TPMS relearn tool. I reached out to my tech source and he suggested using the alternative method of letting air out of the tire to wake it up. That worked and I was successful the first go round with that method. I had hoped to just plug the trailer in and not have to back under it but since the relearn tool didnt work I thought it might be a proximity issue so I put the tailgate down and backed to the hitch and then put the tailgate up (the receiver on the truck for the trailer sensors is behind the rear license plate) Thankfully its all set up now.

My Tirelinc system is now just a bitter, distant memory.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I use the tires max cold pressure. It is my belief that the manufacturer tire pressure values on the vehicles stickers match the original tires that are installed on the trailer. Similularly, the carrying capacity of the trailer is set to the values of the axles/hubs/bearings/springs, if you put heavier duty suspension components on it should change the value of the amount the trailer may carry. But since I do not have access to the method in which the vehicle sticker values are obtained I cannot for sure say what is right and what is wrong.

I always get a kick out of it when people compare 5th wheel suspension/tires pressure to truck, car, or cargo trailers; IMHO 5th wheel suspension systems are woefully underbuilt.

My 10 year old TPMS system uses external sensors. They go to sleep sometimes and it takes them a couple of mile running down the road to wake up.
          2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
          2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
          E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
          Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Once you leave the realm of stock size and load range tires on any vehicle the engineering is on your shoulders. I had a Goodyear vendor (when I was still working) that was a huge source of info. I learned a lot from him.
            One thing that some people also miss is that adding a heavier component to a suspension does not increase its capacity. Unless every component is upgraded the capacity is still based on the rest of the parts.
            Despite the common myth you cant add bigger springs and make a 1/2ton into a 3/4 ton, its much more than just that. (I suspect the vast majority of members here know this)
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That's exactly my situation, Rob. I've tracked wear on my 315RLTS' tires closely, so based on difference in the tread depth I know if the tire is under or over inflated. My rig has a sticker that says 80 psi, but run a Sailun tire with a sidewall maximum of 110 psi. Currently (due to known wear patterns) the tires are set to 90 psi.

For those with OEM-spec'd tires I agree with the sentiment to "set it and forget it" (air up to label pressure). For the minority that are not running OEM-spec'd tires, a bit more time and investigation is required (IMO).

For more on the tracking I've done, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...nd-conclusions

Howard
              ​Howard, have you tried the chalk method on your tires? I used it to check the pressure in the truck several years back. It's a little objective, but you will probably get it pretty quick.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                I had my TPMS sensors installed yesterday and got the wheels back on the trailer last evening. It was frustrating since I could only get 2 of the sensors to wake up using my TPMS relearn tool. I reached out to my tech source and he suggested using the alternative method of letting air out of the tire to wake it up. That worked and I was successful the first go round with that method. I had hoped to just plug the trailer in and not have to back under it but since the relearn tool didnt work I thought it might be a proximity issue so I put the tailgate down and backed to the hitch and then put the tailgate up (the receiver on the truck for the trailer sensors is behind the rear license plate) Thankfully its all set up now.

My Tirelinc system is now just a bitter, distant memory.
                Letting the air out is one trick I have not had to do on my trucks. On the other hand, I have used the tool (OTC that came with my Evo Scanner) to walk around and "wake up" the sensors to read the tire pressures before doing the relearn. Since the scanner will read tire pressures, I know when the sensor is awake.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

​Howard, have you tried the chalk method on your tires? I used it to check the pressure in the truck several years back. It's a little objective, but you will probably get it pretty quick.
                  No -- I'll have to search YouTube. I assume it's a trick to transfer the tire's image to the pavement.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Actually the trick is to get the chalk to wear off evenly across the tire. If over inflated the center of the tire will wear off first, if under inflated, the outer edges wear off first.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X