Considering buying a 260RD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering buying a 260RD

We are getting ready to move from a pop-up to a smaller Grand Design, likely the 260RD. I would like to stay small enough to camp in some smaller State Park campsites, which seems to be at 30'. Most of the time it will be just the two of us. However, we are trying to figure out how to accommodate another couple and two small grand-kids. The kids would be fine in the converted dinette. I assume that there is no pullout bed that is an option to replace the sofa. Am I correct that the converted dinette would not really accommodate two tall adults well? It seems like there is room on the floor to accommodate an inflatable bed. Anyone dealt with this?

Also, without opening the slide when traveling, is it possible to get access to the bathroom? or fridge?

Thanks much for any help offered.

Glenn Weiner
    Richmond, VA

Originally posted by GWeiner View Post
    We are getting ready to move from a pop-up to a smaller Grand Design, likely the 260RD. I would like to stay small enough to camp in some smaller State Park campsites, which seems to be at 30'. Most of the time it will be just the two of us. However, we are trying to figure out how to accommodate another couple and two small grand-kids. The kids would be fine in the converted dinette. I assume that there is no pullout bed that is an option to replace the sofa. Am I correct that the converted dinette would not really accommodate two tall adults well? It seems like there is room on the floor to accommodate an inflatable bed. Anyone dealt with this?

Also, without opening the slide when traveling, is it possible to get access to the bathroom? or fridge?

Glenn Weiner
    Richmond, VA
    Welcome to the technical forum Glenn.

Since the dinette runs the full length of the back end of the fifth wheel, it certainly appears that it could handle a couple of tall adults. The width of the trailer is 8', so I'm guessing the dinette will be about 7 feet long. And a blow up bed would looks like it might fit in the open floor space.

From the floorplan, it looks like you can access the left side refrigerator door, but the bathroom will be inaccessible without deploying the slide out.

I always ask the question for someone switching from a popup or travel trailer. Do you have enough payload on your tow vehicle to handle a fifth wheel? If you need our assistance to fully understand the amount of weight you'll be hauling and how it affects your truck, let us know.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by GWeiner View Post

Glenn Weiner
      Richmond, VA
      Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, GWeiner.

IMO buying an RV is an exercise in prioritization and compromise. I think everyone would like their camper the size & weight of a Coleman pop-up (I owned one!) while towing and then with all the features and room of a huge Momentum or Solitude after arrival and setup.

A lot of what is being asked comes down to personal preference and the "got tos".

For my DW, a "Got To" was bathroom access while traveling. There was no compromise allowed on that issue. That meant unrestricted access (not having to extend a slide).

For the refrigerator in our 315RLTS, we can access the right side but not the left with the slide closed. Works for us.

Second couple? Not unless they are OK with sleeping on a blow up mattress.

The dinette could work as a bed for two small kids, but they grow quickly and you may need that blow up bed to separate them! (Those with more than one child have heard the complaint--usually at a very high decibel level, "They're touching me!!!!")

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...ies/floorplans

Just an opinion, and worth about as much (!), but the 240RL with its bathroom access and "U" shaped dinette may be something to look at.

The 295RL is similar to the 303RLS (and close to my 315RLTS) but the extra weight and length may make it untenable for you as a choice? The 295RL's windows are on the "camp side", too. Some find that important, others do not.

I hope you'll stop back and report on what you decide.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have a 273MK that is very similar to the 240RL. Getting into the bath and fridge while closed has been a great feature. The large dinette makes a reasonable bed for an adult, the sofa is a weird size and very uncomfortable. We've figured out how to half unfold it to give something almost like a recliner. It's gonna get changed out some day soon.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
        2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
        PullRite Superglide

Comment

Jim, Howson and Rick,
          Thanks for the warm welcome and sharing your knowledge with me.
          Glenn

Comment

Working...
          X