Carrying canoes, Kayaks, Bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying canoes, Kayaks, Bikes?

We are getting closer to getting a 260RD, and are trying to figure out what options there are for bringing along these toys. Our old popup let us put a canoe on the tow vehicle. As this is a fifth wheel, I dk if there is a way to store anything on the truck (Ram 2500, 6'bed). I imagine the best solution for the bike is to put it in a bike hitch rack behind the camper. So far, I am thinking that inflatable kayaks are the solution. Any other options that people are using. Thanks much for any help offered, and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section, I didn't see a more appropriate section.

Thanks,

Glenn Weiner
    Virginia
    Ram 2500
    Hopefully with a shiny 260RD in the near future

GWeiner
    Hi Glenn,

Our only direct experience with this is carrying an inflatable kayak in the pass through storage area . . . it took up a lot of room.
    The racks that go over the cab with a support to the front bumper of the truck, always looked like a better idea to me. (see attached random picture from the internet)
    Some carry their kayaks, vertically on the back of the trailer . . . but, there is a lot of bouncing going on back there.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by GWeiner View Post
      We are getting closer to getting a 260RD, and are trying to figure out what options there are for bringing along these toys. Our old popup let us put a canoe on the tow vehicle. As this is a fifth wheel, I dk if there is a way to store anything on the truck (Ram 2500, 6'bed). I imagine the best solution for the bike is to put it in a bike hitch rack behind the camper. So far, I am thinking that inflatable kayaks are the solution. Any other options that people are using. Thanks much for any help offered, and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section, I didn't see a more appropriate section.

Thanks,

Glenn Weiner
      Virginia
      Ram 2500
      Hopefully with a shiny 260RD in the near future
      Glenn,
      I put a hitch on the front of my F-350 so I'd have another option for a bike rack. Typically I use the 2" receiver on the back of the camper for a separate bike rack when towing, then use the truck's front hitch connection for the Swagman to get to a bike trail. May sound silly, but it saves having to remove the WDH from the truck's receiver and transferring the bike rack from the camper to the truck. I really dislike reconfiguring all the time. Having a second option (ready to go!) is very handy.

The only "gotcha" is when the bikes are on the front of the truck the adaptive cruise does not work. (May not be applicable to your application.)

I have no experience trying to take a kayak with me. ( I have a Hobie tandem but it would be too hard to take that huge and heavy thing with us.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swagman.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	23847

Name:	Front Hitch.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	23846
      Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I actually carry a full size 14 foot fishing boat on top of my truck when I'm heading to a fishin' hole. I purchased it from a Canadian company called 4 Boys Manufacturing. It has a winch that actually loads the boat for me. They make racks that you can also use if you go with a fifth wheel. The rack sits out over the front of the hood insead of over the bed.

Name:	Rainbow.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	23850
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
        X