Warranty coverage / Dealer out of business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty coverage / Dealer out of business

Hello. Has anyone had issues with warranty work denied when found on initial walk-through?
    Short story...
    Rough patches on countertops found (videoed) on walk-through. Dealer says warranty will replace. Covid-19 hits. Dealer goes out of business. GD wont cover countertops.

Full Story...

We bought our 2020 Reflection 312BHTS at the end of February. Took delivery on March 12th. We did do some video taping of spots throughout the walk-through. In the walk-through it was noticed that on the island countertop and the front cross counter top there was a spot that the finish had been taken off. Almost like someone used a harsh chemical to clean something off of it. Run your hand along it and the top is smooth until you hit those spots and definitely rough. Service man was brought in and decided to just write it up, since new, to get new countertops. We take it home and wait for call for service call to make an appointment and also add to the list things found after taking it home. A week goes by and our State ,Oregon, starts the Covid-19 shutdown. Our dealer was in Salem, 60 miles, so it had a high case rate and extended "closed" period. Tried calling several times but only got full voice mailboxes. Finally, end of May I check website and it says dealer open. Salem area is below Covid numbers and set to "re-open" so I plan to go on my day off to find out what the heck is going on. Check the address on day off only to see the dealer is now "Permanately Closed" Went to another dealer and they said that they would handle Warranty issues and that they had just heard that day as well that the Dealer had closed business and were actually trying to get ahold of their GD stock. I go home and bring trailer to them since they had an opening later that week and start a list of issues. I get a call a couple weeks later that GD will not cover the counter tops. They would not cover what a dealer promised because it wasn't on the dealer write up when the dealer took delivery. I was given a GD service number to call and they explained the 30 period where a dealer has to write things up like that to be replaced etc... I explained the dealer is now closed because of the Covid-19 issue. I told them we have a video of the walkthrough showing the problem with the countertops. We were told that they couldn't cover a dealer promise and basically we were out of luck. The main reason we picked GD was because we heard so much how well they back the customer and help even with "issues" outside the norm. We love the trailer. Just feeling very "lost" and hung out. Very frustrating because the problem was found on initial walk-through, on video, and through no fault of its own, Dealer has to close doors. Does anybody have ideas on who next to contact?

Not sure who to call to take it further. If you can't get GD to cover the replacements the new dealer should be able to have a counter guy come in and buff it out so it looks like new. We had scratches and the dealer called his counter guy to buff them out. After a couple of trips noticed some additional scratches as these counters scratch really easy. Cleaned and buffed them out myself. With the way these counters scratch so easily I will likely need to do this once a year to keep them shiny and new looking.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Rob...
      Yeah new dealer submitted 6 hours of labor to buff out counters. Not sure if they even submitted to have counter flat out replaced

Comment

Originally posted by SStroda View Post
        Hello. Has anyone had issues with warranty work denied when found on initial walk-through?
        When I took delivery of my 315RLTS there was a hole in a couch cushion. It appeared as if someone sat on the couch with a screwdriver or other sharp object in their back pocket. This must have happened after delivery at the dealership, because it was very obvious--high likelihood GD or the dealer would have caught it during the PDI / acceptance inspection.

I write all that to say the hole wasn't GD's responsibility to fix--it was my dealer (and they did follow through and got it fixed).

Your situation is unfortunately unique. The subsequent dealer is under no obligation to fix what another dealer broke, and GD isn't responsible either as this is not (IMO) a defect due to workmanship, installation, or defective component on their part.

Which, of course, leaves you right back where you started.

I'm going to "tag" our GD hosts. You may get a "Private Message" (or "PM") from them, so keep an eye out for the notification at the top of the page. Be prepared to provide the defunct dealer's info, dates, etc. Please be patient as it may take a few days.

--------break----------

GDRV-Emily and/or GDRV-Megan -- can you take a look at this issue and see if there's anything that can be done to help SStroda resolve the issues on their new camper? Their VIN is in their profile.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by SStroda View Post
          Short story...
          Rough patches on countertops found (videoed) on walk-through. Dealer says warranty will replace. Covid-19 hits. Dealer goes out of business. GD wont cover countertops.

Full Story...

We bought our 2020 Reflection 312BHTS at the end of February. Took delivery on March 12th. We did do some video taping of spots throughout the walk-through. In the walk-through it was noticed that on the island countertop and the front cross counter top there was a spot that the finish had been taken off. Almost like someone used a harsh chemical to clean something off of it. Run your hand along it and the top is smooth until you hit those spots and definitely rough. Service man was brought in and decided to just write it up, since new, to get new countertops. We take it home and wait for call for service call to make an appointment and also add to the list things found after taking it home. A week goes by and our State ,Oregon, starts the Covid-19 shutdown. Our dealer was in Salem, 60 miles, so it had a high case rate and extended "closed" period. Tried calling several times but only got full voice mailboxes. Finally, end of May I check website and it says dealer open. Salem area is below Covid numbers and set to "re-open" so I plan to go on my day off to find out what the heck is going on. Check the address on day off only to see the dealer is now "Permanately Closed" Went to another dealer and they said that they would handle Warranty issues and that they had just heard that day as well that the Dealer had closed business and were actually trying to get ahold of their GD stock. I go home and bring trailer to them since they had an opening later that week and start a list of issues. I get a call a couple weeks later that GD will not cover the counter tops. They would not cover what a dealer promised because it wasn't on the dealer write up when the dealer took delivery. I was given a GD service number to call and they explained the 30 period where a dealer has to write things up like that to be replaced etc... I explained the dealer is now closed because of the Covid-19 issue. I told them we have a video of the walkthrough showing the problem with the countertops. We were told that they couldn't cover a dealer promise and basically we were out of luck. The main reason we picked GD was because we heard so much how well they back the customer and help even with "issues" outside the norm. We love the trailer. Just feeling very "lost" and hung out. Very frustrating because the problem was found on initial walk-through, on video, and through no fault of its own, Dealer has to close doors. Does anybody have ideas on who next to contact?
          Good morning! As stated on your Facebook post, we are not able to overturn any decision made by the customer support or warranty team. We can only recommend that you continue to work with our customer support team. We can be reached at 574-825-9679. Thanks!

Comment

SStroda This has also been posted on your Facebook post:

I have chatted with our customer service team. They advised for you to find a new GDRV dealer, set and appointment, and they will take care of the counter tops. After further review of the pictures, this does look like a flaw in the counter, not damage.

Your case # is 73212. You will want to use this as reference when you reach out to the new dealer/service center.

Again, here is a perfect example of trying to reach back out to support in order to see if anything can be reviewed again.

While Megan Stacy nor myself can physically reverse a decision.... we can point people in the correct direction if for some reason they do not agree with the decision made. In this situation, the individual posted in multiple locations... but we did not see that there was any follow up. We checked in with support and that is how we came to this conclusion.

A huge thank you to our support team for taking the time to review this a second time.

Have a great day!

howson Country Campers TucsonJim Cate&Rob GDRV-Megan

Comment

Working...
            X